OT - The mess at Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - The mess at Houston

Reaction Score
From the conference that didn't give rape factory Baylor the boot, Holgerson is a considerable moral upgrade.
The Big XII is laughing at Houston because they know this move does nothing for them since they're not interested in adding them to the conference.

Reaction Score
The Big XII is laughing at Houston because they know this move does nothing for them since they're not interested in adding them to the conference.

Who gives a flying duck what the Big 12 thinks? The Big 12 would like to see Houston and the AAC die a miserable death. If the Big 12 doesn't approve it is clearly the right thing to do.

C

Chief00

If Houston can lure Holgorsen away from Big 12 WVU, the only people chuckling will be Houston...when they start cashing those Big 12 checks. Houston clearly understands that its only shot at a P5 is in the Big 12. And the only shot the Big 12 expands is if/when expansion improves their football conference. Nothing else. Houston knows it and I applaud them for having the gusto to go for it. I really wish UConn had some of that, to be honest. But I am looking forward to hiring a new DC away from Porter & Chester at $65,000/yr so we can afford paying to build a part-time hockey arena.

Great post.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I guess we'll see in a few years when the cycle starts up again and we see who goes where. If the Big 12 loses a few members, they will need to back fill. One thing is certain: they aren't backfilling with schools who have a dumpster fire football program. No P5 conference is adding a dumpster fire football program. Houston understands this; UConn doesn't. Very disappointing.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll see in a few years when the cycle starts up again and we see who goes where. If the Big 12 loses a few members, they will need to back fill. One thing is certain: they aren't backfilling with schools who have a dumpster fire football program. No P5 conference is adding a dumpster fire football program. Houston understands this; UConn doesn't. Very disappointing.
it's easy to "understand it" when you have boosters with delusions of grandeur that will continually buyout coaches with oil money. UConn needs to fix its money problem before they can fix the football problem

Reaction Score
You mean like the B1G did with Rutgers? There’s many factors beyond being good at football. UConns biggest fault is conferences see our value, but they also see us as available when needed. I would say both the B1G and ACC have buyers remorse by passing UConn over but would never publicize that opinion. Meanwhile we sit in purgatory.

Reaction Score
You mean like the B1G did with Rutgers? There’s many factors beyond being good at football. UConns biggest fault is conferences see our value, but they also see us as available when needed. I would say both the B1G and ACC have buyers remorse by passing UConn over but would never publicize that opinion. Meanwhile we sit in purgatory.
Rutgers wasn't a dumpster fire when they were chosen. Flood had them somewhat respectable before he got canned for trying to get a professor to change grades or something and Schiano prior to that led them one year to a final AP ranking of like 11th in the country. They're actually the opposite of the point you're trying to make. RU invested heavy in football at the expense of non revenue sports sometimes, at a crucial time and as a result they are forever financially secure going forward.

They are a dumpster fire today, like we are now. Houston is absolutely doing the right thing. The right thing for them may not be a path we can afford at the moment.

Dooley

Reaction Score
it's easy to "understand it" when you have boosters with delusions of grandeur that will continually buyout coaches with oil money. UConn needs to fix its money problem before they can fix the football problem

I guess the question would then become how come Houston's sugar mommies and daddies are investing 1000% more intelligently (in terms of CR goes) than UConn's? Our sugar daddy/mommy money is going towards building a part-time hockey venue and other venues for sports that don't move the CR needle at all (soccer/baseball).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I guess the question would then become how come Houston's sugar mommies and daddies are investing 1000% more intelligently (in terms of CR goes) than UConn's? Our sugar daddy/mommy money is going towards building a part-time hockey venue and other venues for sports that don't move the CR needle at all (soccer/baseball).

It doesn't move the needle, but it's necessary in order to mitigate long-term inaction/inattention to those facilities. The previous baseball facility was grievously outclassed by Eastern's field, which is not acceptable for any program at a university of this caliber.

Also, Fertitta's net worth is $4.5 billion. The more money you have to throw around, the higher the odds it'll hit the areas that actually need it.

Dooley

Reaction Score

You're applying Big 10 expansion criteria to the Big 12's and it's just not that easy. For the Big 10, AAU membership is (mostly) required. They were also interested in market expansion for their new BTN and got a HUGE payday when they brought in the NYC market through Rutgers. As @noeynox pointed out above me, Rutgers football was pretty good at the time of expansion. All UConn needs to do is be"pretty good" (again) at football too.

While the Big 10 is thinking long-term (and money), the Big 12 is only thinking about football. Which candidates, if any, improve the football profile enough to continue the conference's legit access to the CFB Playoff (as it stands today). If the Playoff field is expanded, I wouldn't expect the Big 12 to expand either. They'd be guaranteed access if all P5 winners get in. The only way they'd add a new member is to replace any departing members. IF that happened, it's only going to be for football.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
It doesn't move the needle, but it's necessary in order to mitigate long-term inaction/inattention to those facilities. The previous baseball facility was grievously outclassed by Eastern's field, which is not acceptable for any program at a university of this caliber.

Also, Fertitta's net worth is $4.5 billion. The more money you have to throw around, the higher the odds it'll hit the areas that actually need it.

I agree with you. One part I hate hate hate about CR is having to argue against sports I actually love - baseball, hockey and soccer. Just wish there was a dollar for dollar match on football too. Ha! :)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Houston can lure Holgorsen away from Big 12 WVU, the only people chuckling will be Houston...when they start cashing those Big 12 checks. Houston clearly understands that its only shot at a P5 is in the Big 12. And the only shot the Big 12 expands is if/when expansion improves their football conference. Nothing else. Houston knows it and I applaud them for having the gusto to go for it. I really wish UConn had some of that, to be honest. But I am looking forward to hiring a new DC away from Porter & Chester at $65,000/yr so we can afford paying to build a part-time hockey arena.
Chief00 might think this is brilliant but the B12 already has 4 Texas based teams and do you think that UTexas, Baylor, Texas Tech or TCU are going to let another Texas team in? The only way is if one or most likely 2 of them leave or get kicked out - neither will happen
Expansion alone without any school leaving will not open any B12 doors for UH
They have a better chance at the SEC or Pac12 and those two are most likely not going to be looking at UH
I understand that the Houston market is huge but that is the only thing that makes UH overly attractive
I get your thinking that way but the B12 members are not going to be rolling out the red carpet to UH

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Chief00 might think this is brilliant but the B12 already has 4 Texas based teams and do you think that UTexas, Baylor, Texas Tech or TCU are going to let another Texas team in? The only way is if one or most likely 2 of them leave or get kicked out - neither will happen
They have a better chance at the SEC or Pac12 and those two are most likely not going to be looking at UH
I understand that the Houston market is huge but that is the only thing that makes UH overly attractive
I get your thinking that way but the B12 members are not going to be rolling out the red carpet to UH
Did you miss the memo? Tillman Fertitta is also buying the PAC-12 network and moving UH along with it.

Sidebar, any kid on UH is waking up to the fact they play on Fertitta's team which means you better make Tillman happy or he'll use the George Steinbrenner phone to the dugout so to speak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not to mention that diminishes the rest if the schools outside of Texas power within the conference

Reaction Score
We don't have any sugar daddies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom