The meme of the tough and the not tough | The Boneyard

The meme of the tough and the not tough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno has recently been saying--reflected in our blogging about what kinds of recruits UConn likes and doesn't like--that many players today are too interested in personal, rather than in team, achievement and that he himself has somewhat had to adjust his recruiting expectations accordingly. Connected is the belief that, because they're not as inclined to sacrifice for the team, current players are not as mentally tough (a natural if unprovable assumption). Below are tweets following the ND game by probably WCBB's two most respected commentators. Clearly, they are calling out the Irish (which Muffet herself did in her presser), along with other teams, as they also compliment the Huskies. Is it that teams today are "less tough" or has UConn just raised the bar? Or has the departure of the Big 3 actually demonstrated that it wasn't just their talent that led them to dominate, but that all these years UConn has actually been "tougher"? Or, as happens to us all as we age, are Lobo and Lawson imagining that things were harder, better, purer years ago? And what does it even mean to be "mentally tougher" and how do you become that? Don't mean to make this sound like a final exam question (though it is finals week); just that cultural qualities like "toughness" are perplexing.

upload_2016-12-9_8-53-39.png

upload_2016-12-9_8-54-4.png

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A really interesting question bags27.
I am not a big fan of 'tough' and 'toughness' as descriptors in sports or society because too often it gets used in a 'macho' kind of way that can stray further into the territory of 'glorified bullying'. 'Mental toughness' is a little less problematic for me.

I think in its most complementary form it is referring to quiet strength, stamina, determination, and resiliency both physically and mentally.

And I think that is what Kara and Rebecca are referring to - and that can indeed be developed in a team by good coaching and good practice habits, which Uconn has.

Uconn's first practice of each year is reported to be brutal for new arrivals, leading to physical and mental exhaustion, and occasionally regurgitation of an injudiciously large previous meal - that is the introduction to what is required of the players. And the practices do not get easier, but the players become stronger, fitter, and mentally able to concentrate for longer periods of time. By the end of four weeks of practice player have found levels of exertion and concentration that they didn't know they had. They have learned that they can still think and concentrate when their muscles are screaming for 'mental attention', and that their muscles can still function when their mind is screaming for a chance to drift for just a few minutes.

Added to that, their crutches of having answers fed to them by older and wiser coaches are removed slowly - they are encouraged to use their own growing knowledge to figure it out for themselves, and stop looking to the coaches for ever answer to a problem - a mental exercise and a responsibility, and a team building exercise as well because they can solve it with their teammates and not just by themselves. And when they start to feel more comfortable in those mental skills, the questions just get harder and like their bodies their mental 'strength' is pushed further. Win a game with the score 0-0 to start, ok ... now it is 0-10. Figure that one out, ok ... now you only have five minutes to do it, not ten, or you have to do it against a team of six, or a team of seven. Challenge, succeed, increase the challenge figure out how to succeed, succeed, increase the challenge. Make it impossible ... ok, deal with that, too. But every challenge met or every impossible challenge fought against builds mental and physical confidence - Yes this body can function beyond what I thought were its limits, and yes I can mentally accept any challenge and deal with both the successes and the failures that may come. Get my shot blocked in a game, yeah, that happened this week in practice, and the next time I figured out how to score without being blocked, I can handle this! Down 5 points after the first quarter, hey we have 30 more minutes, we solved this in 5 minutes in practice this week, piece of cake! Can't make a shot to save my life, OK, that's like two days ago, but I concentrated on setting up my teammates and defensive stops and my teammates had my back and then I hit a shot without even thinking about it - this can work!

And yes - I think the practice habits of Uconn are different and importantly make a difference. They promote stamina mental and physical, they promote self reliance and teamwork, they promote knowledge and they promote comradely - we're all in this together against those nasty coaches. And the tag team of Geno and CD, Shea and Marisa work together to demand and support, punish* and comfort. So what could become unhealthy if unmitigated is instead challenging and becomes anticipated.

I loved Geno's comment about one team in practice that each day for a week was challenged by more desperate 'situations' with the number of opponents growing from five to six to seven. They got to the end of the week and Geno gave them a situation and only five defenders, and the team was like - what is this, you don't think we can handle seven?! Come on - make us earn it!

And back to your actual question of whether there is a change - I think yes. More players (and parents) expecting special treatment and gentleness from coaches, and hunting for the place they can get it. Not all players, but a lot. I think there were a lot of 'unhealthy' situations with HS and college coaches, so in that respect there has been improvement - but too many coaches want/need to be liked to keep their talented players and that is bad for the players.

*punish used not punitively, but in the sense of a punishing workout, or a punishing schedule.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As an addendum to the above: The bit about CD, Shea, and Marisa is really really important and often overlooked in WCBB. CD I think has said that she and Geno really do work in tandem with the players and the roles change day to day in practice - if CD is riding a player mercilessly then Geno becomes more supportive and visa versa - they never want a player leaving practice feeling that one of them doesn't have their back. And that Shea and Marisa have the same sort of roles between themselves, when one is riding a player, the other is giving a little pat on the back.

I think when you look at problems and 'investigations' of programs a lot of it comes back to not just the behavior of the HC but of the interplay between the HC and the assistants/associates. Mitchell seems to have lost both his team and his assistants during last season, JPM appears to run off most of her assistants as well as some of her players.

(Yeah - I am having a very lazy couple of days, basking in the glory of the ND win and gorging on this site and WCBB in general! :rolleyes:)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
(Yeah - I am having a very lazy couple of days, basking in the glory of the ND win and gorging on this site and WCBB in general! :rolleyes:)
Don't think we haven't noticed, and other forums as well. You're not the only one have a words and opinions bacchanal. All of these early season showdowns lend themselves to all of us having brain bursts. Just send me your coffee bill and watch out for carpal tunnel.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
UcMiami, you might like this quote:

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."

Napolean Bonaparte

No accident that UConn is winning close games late in the third quarter or in the fourth quarter. With some of them playing 40 minutes, no less.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't think we haven't noticed, and other forums as well. You're not the only one have a words and opinions bacchanal. All of these early season showdowns lend themselves to all of us having brain bursts. Just send me your coffee bill and watch out for carpal tunnel.
Funny you should mention that - I have fresh stigmata from just such problems, left and right - part of my issue is the joy of moving my wrists without pain and numbness! :)

Reaction Score
When you really buy into the team concept, then the pressure to win falls upon the team, not the individual. You don't feel the whole weight on your shoulders. Conversely, if you are playing for your own personal glory the weight and the pressure never leaves. So maybe it's not that our kids plat better under pressure; it's just that don't feel the pressure. Each player knows or feels that the team will prevail even if she does not have her best game that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom