The Media Around The Women's Game | The Boneyard

The Media Around The Women's Game

Reaction Score
I don't know why it was bothering me so much but the lead announcer for the last 2 USA FIBA women's games kept commenting on Chelsea Gray having a gold medal from Olympic 3x3. I figured she misspoke but she just kept mentioning it through both games. Allisha Gray was on 3x3 and Chelsea Gray was on the WBB team. Is it too much to ask for someone who follows women's basketball to know the players and for the producers and research staff to do their due diligence? That's my Monday morning rant.

Reaction Score
I don't know why it was bothering me so much but the lead announcer for the last 2 USA FIBA women's games kept commenting on Chelsea Gray having a gold medal from Olympic 3x3. I figured she misspoke but she just kept mentioning it through both games. Allisha Gray was on 3x3 and Chelsea Gray was on the WBB team. Is it too much to ask for someone who follows women's basketball to know the players and for the producers and research staff to do their due diligence? That's my Monday morning rant.

Nothing wrong in pointing it out as it should be corrected. Per this website article, this is the group who is handling broadcast duties of the tournament on behalf of ESPN. Quite a few legends in the sport, especially from an Opals perspective. It's a little surprising that this hasn't been corrected by now though.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong in pointing it out as it should be corrected. Per this website article, this is the group who is handling broadcast duties of the tournament on behalf of ESPN. Quite a few legends in the sport, especially from an Opals perspective. It's a little surprising that this hasn't been corrected by now though.

It wasn't Michelle Timms. That would have really surprised me. She knows the game!!! It was Despina Barton on play by play and Andrew Gaze on color commentary.

Reaction Score
It wasn't Michelle Timms. That would have really surprised me. She knows the game!!! It was Despina Barton on play by play and Andrew Gaze on color commentary.
Thanks. I've only seen the Canadian games. I don't know if Ms. Barton has been part of their broadcasts. It's mainly been Shona Thorburn, a former Canada Basketball national team player, along with Andrew Gaze.

I posted the article to be helpful. I haven't seen the ESPN broadcasts and had no idea who were calling the games for them. Regardless, the research isn't hard to do with respect to who won which medals at the Olympics.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
See if either of them has a Twitter account. Many sports announcers and media professionals do. If either of them do, Hit 'em up.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I thought about it right after I posted it. And she does. And I did!!!
While less egregious, I noted the color commentator Andrew Gaze was completely shocked when Alyssa Thomas shot a 1 handed free throw. Considering the coverage during the playoffs, I thought this was background that might have been in his "notes" but apparently not.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm just happy the commentary is in English (even if with an Aussie accent.)

Not sure how much information US commentators would have on international stars that hadn't played in the US, so I would give the Aussies a break.

Not sure how much ESPN paid to broadcast the WC, but especially given the non-prime-time schedule I doubt they are making much money. I suspect the whole production crew is local and the only US based people are Alexa and Kane (Aussie born, Milwaukee based.)

Reaction Score
While less egregious, I noted the color commentator Andrew Gaze was completely shocked when Alyssa Thomas shot a 1 handed free throw. Considering the coverage during the playoffs, I thought this was background that might have been in his "notes" but apparently not.
I had the same reaction, maybe it's because I follow the WNBA. She still shoots it better than Shaq

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom