The Long Haul | The Boneyard

The Long Haul

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The news today from the federal government that the coronavirus epidemic might run its course through July/August likely means that, among other things, the sporting world will be impacted for at least the remainder of the year.

I would certainly not be surprised if the WNBA & MLB seasons are cancelled in their entirety. In addition, at best the NFL could be looking at a late start to the season. So the new 17 game CBA, will be effectively moot this coming season. The NFL may be lucky to complete a shortened season.

If this coronavirus behaves like previous coronavirus epidemics such as Mers or Sars, then we all hope it will dissipate by early to mid-summer. However, if it behaves more like the Spanish flu of 1918, there could be a second wave in the fall, and then all bets are off.

Everybody stay safe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The news today from the federal government that the coronavirus epidemic might run its course through July/August likely means that, among other things, the sporting world will be impacted for at least the remainder of the year.

I would certainly not be surprised if the WNBA & MLB seasons are cancelled in their entirety. In addition, at best the NFL could be looking at a late start to the season. So the new 17 game CBA, will be effectively moot this coming season. The NFL may be lucky to complete a shortened season.

If this coronavirus behaves like previous coronavirus epidemics such as Mers or Sars, then we all hope it will dissipate by early to mid-summer. However, if it behaves more like the Spanish flu of 2018, there could be a second wave in the fall, and then all bets are off.

Everybody stay safe.

If WNBA season cancelled could this void Megan's declaration of going pro???

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Well said, Dude
Trying hard to find a hint of normalcy

We'll let you know when we've figured it out. :)

Reaction Score

If this coronavirus behaves like previous coronavirus epidemics such as Mers or Sars, then we all hope it will dissipate by early to mid-summer. However, if it behaves more like the Spanish flu of 2018, there could be a second wave in the fall, and then all bets are off.

Everybody stay safe.
Spanish flu was 1918.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think this place is the best place to put this twitter..

Geno told a story at the memorial service in LA about Gigi. After spending a fun day with the Oregon players she was asked if she wanted to take a picture with the entire team, to which she replied, “No, I’m good.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If WNBA season cancelled could this void Megan's declaration of going pro???
I would think she could petition the NCAA to be reinstated, if she is so inclined, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Reaction Score
I would think she could petition the NCAA to be reinstated, if she is so inclined, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Did she sign anything? Did she hire an agent? Are they going to hold a draft? All relevant questions!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did she sign anything? Did she hire an agent? Are they going to hold a draft? All relevant questions!
Good questions all. I don’t know the answers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Following up my OP, the NFL has announced the postponement of all off-season activities.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

If this coronavirus behaves like previous coronavirus epidemics such as Mers or Sars, then we all hope it will dissipate by early to mid-summer. However, if it behaves more like the Spanish flu of 1918, there could be a second wave in the fall, and then all bets are off.

Everybody stay safe.
Again, the second wave of the Spanish/Asian flu was really due to returning veterans from WW1 as they dispersed throughout Europe and America. That won't be the case here. Also we should all be thankful that this COVID-19 isn't the weird, tragic, devastating, and confounding flu the 1917/18 version was. I remember a few years ago the CDC was digging up bodies to try and get a sample of that killer in order to and understand why it killed mostly those in the prime of their life, why it killed so many within 24 hours of exposure, and how they could get a vaccine for that monster in order to prevent that thing from ravaging the world again.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again, the second wave of the Spanish/Asian flu was really due to returning veterans from WW1 as they dispersed throughout Europe and America. That won't be the case here. Also we should all be thankful that this COVID-19 isn't the weird, tragic, devastating, and confounding flu the 1917/18 version was. I remember a few years ago the CDC was digging up bodies to try and get a sample of that killer in order to and understand why it killed mostly those in the prime of their life, why it killed so many within 24 hours of exposure, and how they could get a vaccine for that monster in order to prevent that thing from ravaging the world again.
There were actually 3 waves of the Spanish flu in total. The US was hit with the 2nd & 3rd waves. The first hit Europe hard. Early in 1918 returning veterans brought the flu to America. Cities like Philadelphia were devastated by the disease. By summer the worst was over. But in the fall of 1918 there was a third wave that was the most deadly outbreak of the virus. Cities like San Francisco, that had largely escaped the devastation of the previous wave, were overwhelmed by the third wave.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There were actually 3 waves of the Spanish flu in total. The US was hit with the 2nd & 3rd waves. The first hit Europe hard. Early in 2018 returning veterans brought the flu to America. Cities like Philadelphia were devastated by the disease. By summer the worst was over. But in the fall of 2018 there was a third wave that was the most deadly outbreak of the virus. Cities like San Francisco, that had largely escaped the devastation of the previous wave, were overwhelmed by the third wave.
Oops, I think you meant 1918.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom