The Legend of Sue Bird continues (SBNation Article) | The Boneyard

The Legend of Sue Bird continues (SBNation Article)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I found this article that I have not seen referred to on the BY(I think).

What set's it apart from other articles is the multiple quotes from current WNBA stars. Also a healthy sprinking of Geno

The Legend of Sue Bird continues

Just a few examples.

Kelsey Plum meets her idol as a HS student.

Over a decade ago, after giving a speech to aspiring pros at a Nike Tournament in Arizona, Sue Bird was caught by a screaming, running high school student who just needed to meet her idol.

“I just said ‘The hell with it. I’m gonna go find her,’” now-Las Vegas Aces point guard and 2017 No. 1 pick Kelsey Plum told SB Nation.

After a mad dash of at least 50 yards, Plum caught the attention of the Seattle Storm point guard. With the same poise we’ve come to expect on the court, Bird entertained the antics of the former member of the 10-and-under Connecticut Husky Pups Club.:D:D

“‘Hey, I just want to let you know that I’m gonna be like you some day,’” Plum recalled telling the star whose best UConn moments she’d watched time and time again on VHS.

“‘I bet you will,’ Bird said back. “‘Best of luck.’

It was just two seconds of conversation, but Plum still cherishes every detail.

Kelsey Plum trying to defend Sue Bird today.

She may be the oldest player in the league, but Bird’s still a matchup nightmare, even for the freshest competition to enter the league.

“It’s terrible,” Plum said about guarding her idol. “She never stops moving and her decisions are so crisp with so much pace. Honest to God of anybody I’ve played against in the WNBA, she’s probably my least favorite person to guard.”

Did Geno see Sue's Greatness while recruiting?

Years after she helped UConn win a pair of NCAA titles and became a No. 1 overall WNBA draft pick, Auriemma can admit he didn’t know he was recruiting a legend in the making. He recalled Bird being a top-20 prospect by most rankings, with a low-key personality and a game that was more subtle than flashy.

“When we got Sue we knew that we were getting somebody really good, but you don’t know you’re getting a legendary player,” Auriemma said. “When we were recruiting Diana we knew we were. [Breanna Stewart], same thing. Maya Moore, same thing. When we recruited Sue, we were like, ‘Yeah, this kid’s going to be really good. I think she’s going to help us a lot.’ We didn’t know she was going to be what she is.”

Enjoy. :):D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sue is the PG GOAT.

Diana is the R-rated GOAT. :D

Maybe not so "PG' rated. ;)

The crowd in Seattle, along with her teammates, roared at the sight of their even-tempered leader reaching unchartered territories. Meanwhile, Taurasi, no stranger to arguing with referees, wanted the Storm guard whistled for a technical foul after the outburst.

“Talk about a hypocrite,” Bird joked to SB Nation before the WNBA Finals. “Whatever I was saying, I’m telling you I’ve heard her say 100 times worse to referees and not get technicals.”

She watched the play again after the game to find evidence of the foul she wanted called. Problem was, she couldn’t. It didn’t exist. The referees got it right.

So, the Sue Bird of old came back postgame.

(Maybe a move DT does not do?)

She told SB Nation she apologized to the referees afterwards

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom