The Left Hand | The Boneyard

The Left Hand

Reaction Score
The more one dives into UCONN's program the more one comes away with the completeness of the coaching. Rainy day in California so went back and looked at the first 3 quarters of the Temple game. Six UCONN players took shots with their left hand and KLS, Gabby(2), Kia, NC and Crystal Dangerfield each made the shots they took. In addition, Kia and Saniya each took a shot and missed but were fouled and made both free throws. That's 8 left handed shots and 16 points.
Not sure if that has been done before where every starter scores with their left hand. Not sure I've ever seen a game where every starter has attempted a left handed shot.
It does raise the question of how many other programs prepare their kids to make the left hand a normal part of game flow and do it so successfully. Just another example of what sets UCONN apart.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In my estimation, this group is (collectively) the most proficient one I've seen at using their off hand to score. Bria Hartley tended to stick with her right hand a little too much, ditto Tiff Hayes with her left, and Maya was also fairly biased to the right hand. I don't recall if Tina was good with her left. I think she was. I want to say KML -- who had awesome hands -- was still fairly biased to the right-hand around the basket.

I don't mean these examples to be absolute. Did Tiff ever use her right hand? Yes. And Maya her left? Yes. But pretty much everyone on the current squad is very good with their off hand.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The more one dives into UCONN's program the more one comes away with the completeness of the coaching. Rainy day in California so went back and looked at the first 3 quarters of the Temple game. Six UCONN players took shots with their left
The more one dives into UCONN's program the more one comes away with the completeness of the coaching. Rainy day in California so went back and looked at the first 3 quarters of the Temple game. Six UCONN players took shots with their left hand and KLS, Gabby(2), Kia, NC and Crystal Dangerfield each made the shots they took. In addition, Kia and Saniya each took a shot and missed but were fouled and made both free throws. That's 8 left handed shots and 16 points.
Not sure if that has been done before where every starter scores with their left hand. Not sure I've ever seen a game where every starter has attempted a left handed shot.
It does raise the question of how many other programs prepare their kids to make the left hand a normal part of game flow and do it so successfully. Just another example of what sets UCONN apart.
A lot of these players come into the program with that skill; I know Chong did. Sometimes, the off-hand can be given too much emphasis. Sure, it looks classy, but there have been times this year where layups have been missed, using it. I will say, that anyone teaching a young child the game: teach them to use both hands EARLY! (it will then be automatic with them the rest of their career.)

Reaction Score

Geno has had problems with some players using their left hands especially on layups. Sveta was the greatest offender others had issues using the left--it apparently is something Geno feels strongly about.
This group seems to be the most successful in using the left hand--or off hand when left handed.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I think Gabby`s best move is when she dribbles across the lane from right to left around her opponent and scores with her left hand off the glass on the other side of the rim. Seems to get at least two or three of those a game.

Lou is also very comfortable taking it to the rim from the left side and putting it up with her left. Great extension.

Obvious that they have both put a lot of time in on those moves.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great Post. It's a seemingly minor point, but in reality being able to make a layup from either side of the basket with either hand is a potentially huge advantage for a player and a team when just about everyone can do it. Players can avoid getting their shot blocked by bigger defenders and there are far more opportunities to play through contact for a 3-pt play as defenders will foul with the body trying to block a shot from a player's off hand.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my estimation, this group is (collectively) the most proficient one I've seen at using their off hand to score. Bria Hartley tended to stick with her right hand a little too much, ditto Tiff Hayes with her left, and Maya was also fairly biased to the right hand. I don't recall if Tina was good with her left. I think she was. I want to say KML -- who had awesome hands -- was still fairly biased to the right-hand around the basket.

I don't mean these examples to be absolute. Did Tiff ever use her right hand? Yes. And Maya her left? Yes. But pretty much everyone on the current squad is very good with their off hand.
One of the more intelligent posts have seen on any Board lately. Would add that KML may be overdoing it a bit. When she has a 6-8 inch height advantage, sometimes I wish she would use it rather than a left handed scoop. With her scoring 20+ a game, a relative nit.

Reaction Score
Great Post. It's a seemingly minor point, but in reality being able to make a layup from either side of the basket with either hand is a potentially huge advantage for a player and a team when just about everyone can do it. Player's can avoid getting their shot blocked by bigger defenders and there are far more opportunities to play through contact for a 3-pt play as defenders will foul with the body trying to block a shot from a player's off hand.
That is exactly what happened when Saniya and Kia missed their shots. They used the right arm as a shield and the defender has to cut through the right arm to block the shot....bingo, a foul is called and all free throws made.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very interesting observation. And pretty neat.
Not sure how much specific influence UConn coaches had on this as I think all the players came into the program pretty comfortable with their off hand around the basket. And I think it is one advantage to all the 'personal trainers' kids now have - they specifically work on those aspects of a player's game. They may not get the team concepts pre college but they are all working on individual skills perhaps more than they used to.

Reaction Score
I played BB in High School and would have given my right arm to be ambidextrous.
If you gave away your right arm---would your girl friend Amber dexterus
liked you better? It makes it more difficult to play with either hand if one arm is missing!!
Actually Geno get loads of players who rely on one hand--and within 2 years they are using either--one is always more dominate and the one you go to when you are not thinking. Using both hand sCAN BE TAUGHT--it's never too late to learn.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much specific influence UConn coaches had on this as I think all the players came into the program pretty comfortable with their off hand around the basket. And I think it is one advantage to all the 'personal trainers' kids now have - they specifically work on those aspects of a player's game. They may not get the team concepts pre college but they are all working on individual skills perhaps more than they used to.

Rarely do I not go along with your posting--this time--Geno going back to the original fab 5 plus Sveta--he had others--Geno has made comments on players not having the use of both hands while attacking the basket. Every thing between Geno and Sveta was a media running battle--
Obviously, as you say many top level players have learned (if they had a teaching AAU team--most are not or) HS coach who, like Geno, believed in using either hand. Katie Lou --was almost always using her right hand last year--this year she attack from either side and uses either hand. Was she taught--or did she just not bring it with her strong???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting topic, Rugbymate! Yes, the team is very good at using the off-hand at least for layups. All of the starters plus Crystal and Nat are at least decent. I would say that Saniya may be the best, because she will use it from farther out, but Gabby and Lou are excellent, and Pheesa and Kia are very good.

In general, it seems that left-handers are poorer than right-handers with their off-hand. Some players who are very dominant-handed: Tiffany, Renee, Alana Beard, Crystal Langhorne. Maya is pretty good with the left, at least on layups. Kaleena is good with both hands. She has world-class hands. Stewie is quite good with both. Megan Walker is very good with her left. She has the repertoire of a college junior.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

Agree. The best players have been working on and shooting with their off-hand since they were middle school players. This isn't something they just learned to do.

Reaction Score

I have been waiting for someone to bring this up all season. This may be the best off hand shooting team I've ever seen. Most women's teams shoot layups with their dominant hand from either side of the basket. That's a major weakness. When you consider the opponents missed chances and the conversions by UConn, that's an easy 10-20 points a game. Gabby and Lou make it look so natural. I can't imagine the amount of practice hours they have put in to achieve this. It's even more amazing when you consider how poorly most NBA players are at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom