The "learning experience" from a loss | The Boneyard

The "learning experience" from a loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Much as been made about Duke's JPM's many quotes about learning from a loss. She seems to have the "loss" part down, but the learning part seems to be escaping her.

UConn in its 3 losses to ND last year learned a lot about themselves. Two of the losses were by just a few points. In those losses they learned self trust. self confidence and maybe most of all their dislike of losing. They were a different team facing ND the fourth time - ND wasn't.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
They were in an unstoppable flow when the tourney started up against any team. UConn did not learn the lessons against ND after the first or second game, but did get a fourth opportunity to blast the Irish. However, what if that fourth match hadn't happened, say if ND got surprised before the semis? At the very least there would have been no way to say whether UConn had solved ND after the three losses, even with an NC title in hand. Most teams do not get three unsuccessful chances to learn their lessons before meeting a team once again.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Much as been made about Duke's JPM's many quotes about learning from a loss. She seems to have the "loss" part down, but the learning part seems to be escaping her.

UConn in its 3 losses to ND last year learned a lot about themselves. Two of the losses were by just a few points. In those losses they learned self trust. self confidence and maybe most of all their dislike of losing. They were a different team facing ND the fourth time - ND wasn't.

While I tend to agree with you about JPM, in fairness, Duke played the end of the year with one hand tied behind their backs, including their star being absent. Over-seeded in the NCAAs.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
They were in an unstoppable flow when the tourney started up against any team. UConn did not learn the lessons against ND after the first or second game, but did get a fourth opportunity to blast the Irish. However, what if that fourth match hadn't happened, say if ND got surprised before the semis? At the very least there would have been no way to say whether UConn had solved ND after the three losses, even with an NC title in hand. Most teams do not get three unsuccessful chances to learn their lessons before meeting a team once again.

I can't tell whether you agree or disagree with me.

Reaction Score
You misunderstood her quotes. What she meant was, she learned how to lose. She's done a great job learning how to do that!:)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yes and no. All Husky teams learn a lot during the year, though it doesn't make them invincible. And maybe beating ND three times in 2010-11 taught them the wrong lessons for the fourth game, don't know. Just saying that UConn was fortunate to have three learning lessons against a team before getting a fourth chance to put the learning into successful action. Duke never got a second chance against UConn this year (not that it would have mattered), but they did get plenty of chances to figure out how to run their offense without real PGs. In the end, maybe no amount of lessons would have helped to figure that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom