The leading rebounder for UConn at 'Cuse was ??? | The Boneyard

The leading rebounder for UConn at 'Cuse was ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
KML -- with 8 in 33 minutes. Tiff had 7 in 31 min; Kelly had 7 in 28 min; Kia had 7 in 24 min; and Stef had 5 in 20 min.

Remember all the talk (in the pre-season) about KML being "a great shooter, but couldn't replace Maya's rebounds."

I have been really impressed in recent games by how often Kaleena is mixing it up in the paint, and scrounging around for rebounds. Her body language and effort tell me that she is really enjoying this part of the game. She wants to be the best player she can be -- and that surely includes getting every rebound she can get. She is expanding her game ---- which I am sure Geno has been urging her to do, just as he constantly pushed Maya to do.

Our young team just keeps on getting better.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
KML is much more athletic than i thought. not saying she will jump out of the gym like Banks, but she certainly seems to be able to keep even fast-ish defenders in front of her and is all energy out there. i'm sure someone who has better analytical skills than i can talk about her defensive abilities, but i've been impressed. i don't see her getting beaten by her man like i've seen others do...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
KML is young, but she came to UConn "getting it" as far as what max effort meant. She may not have ever been through a UConn-caliber S&C program or do the kind of drills Geno makes the girls do in practice, but she's demonstrated a felt responsibility to give the game everything she's got. That includes defending, passing, getting in position to rebound, throwing an outlet pass sitting on her backside, expanding different parts of her offensive game, etc. Once it all comes together for her, I can't imagine how good she's going to be. Even Geno on the penultimate Geno Show made a point of saying KML always works hard, and when you're saying that about a freshman and you're Geno Auriemma, that's significant. I can't wait to see her story completely unfold.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As one of those who participated in the pre-season chatter about the difficulty of replacing Maya's rebounds (more difficult than replacing her points, a number of us thought), I must say that rebounding has not been the problem that I expected it would be. That has NOT been because Stef has greatly improved her rebounding skill (it's still so-so at best), but because Kelly (especially), Kaleena, Tiff, and Bria have done more on the boards than any of them could have been expected to do prior to the season. Recently, Kiah has become semi-dominant on the defensive boards in the still-limited minutes that she plays.

Even against Baylor, the rebounds were essentially even. In the Notre Dame game, rebounding was not a problem. I'm not sure who is equipped to dominate UConn on the boards -- perhaps the Orange Ones would be the most likely to do so if we should play them in the NCAA tournament. I guess the matchup with Elizabeth Williams will give some indication as to whether rebounding may be an issue against better competition.

If it becomes a problem, then the answer (twin towers) is now readily at hand.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KML is strong, tough, and smart. She does not have Maya's vertical, but few do. She is a complete player. And when her shot is missing, it is off by very small amounts. Geno recruited her for rebounding and defense. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We are rebounding by committee. Tiff is doing a great job on the boards. So are Kelly and Bria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom