The Leaders Led Last Night | The Boneyard

The Leaders Led Last Night

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In what was clearly a battle against a very tough, athletic team, on the road, UConn’s three captains led the team to victory at TN last night.

In a game when UConn struggled to score from the floor and the foul line, Christyn stood out with her aggressive play on offense. Some might suggest that 8/18 shooting is nothing special. I would argue that in a game like last night’s the confidence not only to continue to take those shots, but make just enough was absolutely key to UConn’s victory. Geno pointed out in his postgame presser that UConn “hung around” for 3 qtrs. No one was more important than Christyn in keeping the game from getting away from the Huskies.

Some BY’ers felt that Liv didn’t play well because she missed three 3-pt shots that she was clearly tasked by Geno with taking to try to open up the lane by forcing Key to come out and guard her. While her shot wasn’t falling, in the second half in particular, Liv dominated the game defensively. UConn played a lot of zone in the 2nd half, and Liv anchored that zone. She led all players with 11 rebounds, 7 on the defensive end. In the 2nd half, when TN tried to attack the basket, Liv had 3 blocks, 1 steal and otherwise intimidated the LV’s into missing a bunch of shots. During the 2nd half, TN was held to 26 pts on 33% shooting. No one was more responsible for those stats than Liv.

Finally, we have to talk about Evina. We can only imagine the emotions that she felt heading back to play at TN for the first time in 2 seasons after a difficult departure from the LV program. Before the game Geno talked to Evina about, “playing with emotion, but not getting emotional.” Whether Geno’s comments had an impact or not, Evina was brilliant. She had 15 pts on 5/8 shooting, 3/5 from the arc, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals. Evina played with great poise throughout the game and hit a couple of critical 3’s down the stretch that had to feel like daggers to LV fans.

The leadership by UConn’s captains eventually showed the way for the youngsters to step up and join them. Aubrey pretty much made plays throughout the game, but in the 4th qtr she got off the bench with 4 fouls and helped key UConn’s run. Aaliyah settled in and played with confidence and the physical presence that was critical at both ends of the court. Lastly, Paige had struggled terribly to make shots for 3+ qtrs. But in the 4th qtr she came alive dropping dimes, creating steals and ultimately making shots, including the exclamation point 3 that ended any hope the LV’s had.

TN was a really important game for UConn. Facing adversity, the leaders stepped up to lead the team from behind to overcome a talented opponent on the road, and in so doing they learned something important about themselves. The Huskies are absolutely capable of winning tough games in challenging situations. After last night we should all feel a lot better about this team and their chances in March.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Evina was very good at not getting pulled into the hype, where the media wants to make this a vendetta game, or play up the friction between both sides. She didn't try to get 30, or dominate the ball, get in testy exchanges, or do many other things to make this game different. She stuck to the gameplan, played her normal role, and didn't let the many potential distractions take her out of that, a very mature reaction.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Over on VolNation most LV fans, but not all, are minimizing Evina’s play last night, as well as her talent. At the same time, LV fans also note that their 2 pg’s combined for 2/20 shooting with 7 turnovers. You have to wonder if the outcome of the game would have been different if that “gaudy orange was still in Evina’s color wheel?”

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Williams shoots 8 for 18 and gets blasted by some BY fans. Chennedy Carter and Ogunbowale had those kind of shooting statistics regularly and sometimes worse but got adulation from even some BYers. To complain about the way Williams played last night is in my opinion just wrong. UConn would not have won without her. In fact, the game would not have been close. UConn would have lost to a team that in reality is not very good. Also, KLS had a number of games with a similar shooting percentage and was praised.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Williams shoots 8 for 18 and gets blasted by some BY fans. Chennedy Carter and Ogunbowale had those kind of shooting statistics regularly and sometimes worse but got adulation from even some BYers. To complain about the way Williams played last night is in my opinion just wrong. UConn would not have won without her. In fact, the game would not have been close. UConn would have lost to a team that in reality is not very good. Also, KLS had a number of games with a similar shooting percentage and was praised.
Slight correction. Carter & Ogunbowle would shoot something like 8/30. ;)

Reaction Score
I was so impressed with Evina last night. Her poise in crunch time, knocking down those crucial threes, not letting her emotions get the best of her and her bringing the ball up controlling the tempo and calming influence. Also I noticed she didn't have her brace on and she looked more fluid. I am looking forward to seeing her just get better health wise too.

Reaction Score
As good as Evina was at bringing the ball up and determining tempo I far prefer having Paige bring the ball up. She sees the whole floor much better and is more likely to hit an open cutter early in the shot clock. Paige also seems to become invisible when she doesn't bring it up and does not get touches. Sometime I wonder why players cut to the basket when it seems rare for anyone besides Paige to even notice them. Not a complaint really against the others it is just a unique ability that Paige has.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

You are so right.

I think the big problem is that many have this preconceived notion that CW is a great 3 point shooter. CW is one that drives/ slashes to the hoop and has a beautiful pull up jumper. That is how she will get the bulk of her points. She's going to hit some 3's but not to the level of KML and Lou. She is also a scrapper, in your face type. Defensively she is better.

Reaction Score
Just to put it in retrospect, CW has played in 79 games, she is currently 47th in all-time scoring with 1,049 points and she is 28th in all-time 3 point made baskets with 106. If she was playing a regular season this year and next, she would most likely finish around the top 15 in both categories. It really depends on how many games UCONN will play this year.

Reaction Score
like Skylar usually against us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom