The last play was not cool at all (things to work on) | The Boneyard

The last play was not cool at all (things to work on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was Diaco confused with the play clock, why not just run the ball instead of having Sherriffs drop back luckily he held onto the ball, he had 3 Dlineman come at him unblocked at full speed. Army got 2 big plays and a FG off a turnover, what is up with the block extra points thats wrong. Its a win well take it but we have to clean up those mistakes moving forward. A lot of lessons to be learned not just from the players but the coaching staff as well. We gotta get better.

Reaction Score
Was Diaco confused with the play clock, why not just run the ball instead of having Sherriffs drop back luckily he held onto the ball, he had 3 Dlineman come at him unblocked at full speed. Army got 2 big plays and a FG off a turnover, what is up with the block extra points thats wrong. Its a win well take it but we have to clean up those mistakes moving forward. A lot of lessons to be learned not just from the players but the coaching staff as well. We gotta get better.

Beat me to it Scoe. That last series was an absolute disaster. First down take a knee but too much time left to run out the clock. Second down run but take a delay of game penalty when you have time outs left. Third down, not sure what the hell that was. Almost got Sheriffs killed. Only reason game clock ran out was the ten second run off for Army player's helmet coming off. Not Diaco's best moment to say the least.

Still glad to be 2-0. This team reminds me of an Edsall team. Tough and fundamentally solid. Two other nitpicks - Obie's unsportsmanlike and late gamble Lastly we need to win first down more. O line still needs work

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Beat me to it Scoe. That last series was an absolute disaster. First down take a knee but too much time left to run out the clock. Second down run but take a delay of game penalty when you have time outs left. Third down, not sure what the hell that was. Almost got Sheriffs killed. Only reason game clock ran out was the ten second run off for Army player's helmet coming off. Not Diaco's best moment to say the least.

Still glad to be 2-0. This team reminds me of an Edsall team. Tough and fundamentally solid. Two other nitpicks - Obie's unsportsmanlike and late gamble Lastly we need to win first down more. O line still needs work
Have Sheriffs run around in the backfield, kill some more clock and then not have to take another snap.
Luckily, after the play got blown up, the Army guy got lost his helmet, knocking 10 extra seconds off and getting the play clock under 40 seconds.

Reaction Score

Time management seems to be a real weakness for the coaching staff. The last series was an embarrassment. Not calling a timeout against Nova as the first half was coming to a close was also a disaster. I remember a few time management decisions last year that were head scratchers.

This is Diaco's first head coaching gig, but time clock management should not be an issue going into his second full year as a head coach.

Reaction Score

MANY positives to take away from yesterday IMO.
They never got in the Red Zone...

Didn't mind Obi's gamble on the attempted pick either-he had his hands on the ball - could have gone the other way and don't want him tentative and second guessing to say the least.....

Glad you guys brought up about the last series... when BS took a knee with 2 plus on the clock - I turned to everyone in our group and screamed out "wtf"..... I thought I was missing something..... our only saving grace was the 10 second run off ...

Reaction Score
This is Diaco's first head coaching gig, but time clock management should not be an issue going into his second full year as a head coach.
What's Les Miles excuse then?

I'm not saying it should be a frequent occurrence but it happens multiple times every week somewhere in FBS. Hell, ASU has a designated clock management coach.

Reaction Score
What's Les Miles excuse then?

I'm not saying it should be a frequent occurrence but it happens multiple times every week somewhere in FBS. Hell, ASU has a designated clock management coach.

I don't think we've had a coach in the FBS era that was good with clock management.

Reaction Score
MANY positives to take away from yesterday IMO.
They never got in the Red Zone...

Didn't mind Obi's gamble on the attempted pick either-he had his hands on the ball - could have gone the other way and don't want him tentative and second guessing to say the least.....

Glad you guys brought up about the last series... when BS took a knee with 2 plus on the clock - I turned to everyone in our group and screamed out "wtf"..... I thought I was missing something..... our only saving grace was the 10 second run off ...

NO NO NO. Whatever HCBD or anyone else says, Obi's play on the ball in the fourth quarter was dumb football. Time and score matter. There was no way Army was beating us with two long TD drives. The only way they beat us if if our D wasn't disciplined and took a gamble that didn't work. Obi had no help behind him and he gambled. First possession, you don't get mad at him. But there is a time to be conservative based on time and score, and that was a time.

Reaction Score
NO NO NO. Whatever HCBD or anyone else says, Obi's play on the ball in the fourth quarter was dumb football. Time and score matter. There was no way Army was beating us with two long TD drives. The only way they beat us if if our D wasn't disciplined and took a gamble that didn't work. Obi had no help behind him and he gambled. First possession, you don't get mad at him. But there is a time to be conservative based on time and score, and that was a time.

If you want to win the game then this is the way to approach that situation.

Reaction Score

Exactly right.

Disaco has a ways to go with his in game coaching. That last offensive series to kill the clock was a complete cluster duckk.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

1000% agree. Safeties play safe late in games. They don't make HUGE gambles without someone being behind him. Safeties are supposed to make that tackle, not make some spectacular interception with very low odds of success. Obi had a rough game I thought. This play and the personal foul play for that hit out of bounds were two of our worst moments from yesterday.

Reaction Score
NO NO NO. Whatever HCBD or anyone else says, Obi's play on the ball in the fourth quarter was dumb football

1000% agree. Safeties play safe late in games. They don't make HUGE gambles without someone being behind him. Safeties are supposed to make that tackle, not make some spectacular interception with very low odds of success. Obi had a rough game I thought. This play and the personal foul play for that hit out of bounds were two of our worst moments from yesterday.

The personal foul was for "taunting" not for hitting out of bounds/late hit.

I think Diaco has decided/learned that issues like these will/should be dealt with within the football complex and not by throwing players under the proverbial bus publicly?

Reaction Score

I think Diaco has decided/learned that issues like these will/should be dealt with within the football complex and not by throwing players under the proverbial bus publicly?

That is clearly HCBD's mo, and I'm fine with it. I don't care what he says publicly. But it was a terrible decision

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Well that's even more stupid than what I thought! The hit was late in its own right but to taunt afterward??? That might be worse than the play with 4 minutes left that gave away a TD! Beyond dumb.

I think you're right about the second part. Diaco prefers to deal with this kind of garbage in private than publicly. One of the things he tried to fix immediately after his hire was the whole "coaches vs players" environment that existed in the program. We all know Obi had a rough game yesterday and all know that the taunting penalty and the very low percentage INT attempt late in the game were stupid plays. But Diaco will deal with that privately...which is honestly how I'd prefer it to be handled. No reason to throw players under the bus publicly and draw attention to him. He can't feel like he's under this microscope in our fanbase when he's out there...he just needs to learn when and where to be aggressive and not make stupid decisions. :)

Reaction Score
Someone needed to press Diaco on that last possession. Bottom line, we won. But what the hell were they thinking kneeling with over 2:30 left.

Reaction Score
Exactly right.

Disaco has a ways to go with his in game coaching. That last offensive series to kill the clock was a complete cluster duckk.

I'll bet you that what he said privately to Obi was not "atta boy".

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Late hit would have been tough to call. The Army player's last step had been in bounds. His momentum was clearly out of bounds, but he hasn't stepped out of bounds yet.

I have to admit I don't know the re on hitting a player who is in the air out of bounds but hasn't stepped out yet.

Reaction Score
Maybe we could get Tom Coughlin to teach us some time management in last 2 minutes?

Reaction Score
Maybe we could get Tom Coughlin to teach us some time management in last 2 minutes?
Talk about time management screwups............You're right, just when you think we looked dumb, Coughlin and Manning go two steps further....not to mention the earlier play when they did not let the clock run down and ran a play when they could have let another 30 seconds run off.

Of course, on the positive side, Dallas win took Byron off the hook, after Manning hit Beckham with Jones defending. Announcer said Manning was going after "rookie " defender when Beckham caught pass on Dallas two yard line. Great to see Byron in there at crunch time.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Maybe he is playing dumb for future opponents, that same way he is using a competitive advantage for not revealing injuries and not naming starters until 4 days before kickoff...Sly like a fox?

Is this still preseason? For coaches too?

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Disagree. When everything happens on the football field the way its drawn up to happen it's up to players to make plays. I've seen nothing to suggest a breskdown on that play. Great players make great plays. Obi tried, and didn't get that one, and the Army QB and receiver did. That's tge game and I wouldn't want it any different. I have the game queued up to watch, and I bet Obi's game was no where near as bad as it seems, and the mental focus error earlier in the game is a much greater issue than this play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom