The Lady Vols are "really good" | The Boneyard

The Lady Vols are "really good"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't ask me just ask the ultimate UCONN star .....

Rebecca Lobo @RebeccaLobo · 4h 4 hours ago
The Lady Vols are really good. Their quality depth and size are impressive. Middleton is a great decision-maker.

:p:p

In all seriousness, Middleton is just awesome. Tough as nails. Many people are calling her the new Kellie Jolly in Knoxville.

Reaction Score

The Lady Vols are really good. Their quality depth and size are impressive. Middleton is a great decision-maker.

In all seriousness, Middleton is just awesome. Tough as nails. Many people are calling her the new Kellie Jolly in Knoxville.

Is that the same just awesome Middleton that went 2-10 for 4 pts. in 21 mins tonight against Winthrop that you're talking about ? BTW, I agree, the Lady Vols are good. When is Harrison due back ?

Reaction Score
don't know about everyone else.... but i agree that the LVs are very good...... in fact never in question for even the past few years.... they need to be lead by a staff who can motivate, get respect, and lead them..... as i have said before a few times..... most important part of their team this year is Holly.... I hope she can do it...... they have been out of the fold for a while now

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well they always have plenty of talent, we know that much. Really good? Time will tell.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tennessee has beaten Winthrop, Oral Roberts, and Penn. Think I'll wait to see what they look like against decent competition before coming to any set conclusions.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta agree the LVs always have a lot of talent. The key has been to get that talent to play as a team. That takes time. That takes a change in attitude. As good as they are individually the mindset of some LVs over the past few years has been me first the team second. Some players were not coachable. When that changes which will take a total commitment by the entire team and coaching staff then the LVs will be a really good team and not really good players.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee hasn't had a full roster for any game yet this season. Harrison and Jonex are day to day Holly said. Tucker will also be there at some point. Tennessee has a game at Texas soon. That should be a good game. Both teams like too push the tempo.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
don't know about everyone else.... but i agree that the LVs are very good. in fact never in question for even the past few years.... they need to be lead by a staff who can motivate, get respect, and lead them..... as i have said before a few times..... most important part of their team this year is Holly.... I hope she can do it. they have been out of the fold for a while now

ahem.

Past tense of lead is led. Past tense of read is read. Both (present/past for both verbs) rhyme. Don't ask me to explain.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I hear there is a big battle down there about attempting to ban the name "Lady vols"--- some gender issue. This has probably been discussed already. All the issues in the world, and someone is worried about the term "Lady Vols" offending someone I guess-

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Tennessee hasn't had a full roster for any game yet this season. Harrison and Jonex are day to day Holly said. Tucker will also be there at some point. Tennessee has a game at Texas soon. That should be a good game. Both teams like too push the tempo.

I may have to drive down to Austin for that one.

Reaction Score
ahem.

Past tense of lead is led. Past tense of read is read. Both (present/past for both verbs) rhyme. Don't ask me to explain.

Grammar Police.jpg

Reaction Score
The Lady Vols will get a reality check between Thanksgiving and the end of the year: Texas, Stanford, Rutgers, and Oregon State.

Reaction Score
Yea I won't be able to tell how good Tenn is until they play the tougher part of the schedule. Texas will be the first true test....even though Penn and I think Winthrop were NCAAT teams last year's, Texas, Rutgers, and Stanford will provide more of a measuring stick for how "good" the LadyVols really are.

The LadyVols have a good team, however I'm not ready to put "really" before that. I do think however with a healthy Harrison, Massengale and the addition of Ms. Tucker, Tenn has the potential to be a "really" good team!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I hear there is a big battle down there about attempting to ban the name "Lady vols"--- some gender issue. This has probably been discussed already. All the issues in the world, and someone is worried about the term "Lady Vols" offending someone I guess-

I am not so sure that is true.

History tells us that when teams were first formed to compete in intercollegiate sports (about start of 20th century?), it was for men only, so all the teams were named accordingly (including, for example, the Volunteers of Tennessee and the Nittany Lions of Penn State). As time passed, female teams were gradually formed; then came Title IX, after which the female teams became more prominent and more competitive. Meanwhile, some teams' names were considered so masculine as to beome at least awkward (e.g., Volunteers and Nittany Lions) and occasionally very unsuitable (e.g., South Carolina Gamecocks and Southern Cal Trojans). So some schools adapted (e.g., again, Lady Lions and LadyVols).

This is an imperfect recounting but I hope I have captured a few turning points in the history of names assigned to college.

Oh yeah, back to the LadyVols! I believe their wcbb simply has such a rich tradition that those folks just want to cherish or cling to it, depending on your perspective.

Reaction Score
Ironically, Lobo tweeted this watching TN's worst game of the season. They were far better in the other games. Middleton had an off night but she is leading the SEC in assists. Notably, TN had 19 steals last night. Their defense is much improved. Can they be consistent? Time will tell.

I do think South Carolina looks very good. We really could really use a healthy Mercedes Russell to battle their post players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

She has to say that, she works for ESPN. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agree that should be a good game. Decent barometer.

Reaction Score
I am not so sure that is true.

History tells us that when teams were first formed to compete in intercollegiate sports (about start of 20th century?), it was for men only, so all the teams were named accordingly (including, for example, the Volunteers of Tennessee and the Nittany Lions of Penn State). As time passed, female teams were gradually formed; then came Title IX, after which the female teams became more prominent and more competitive. Meanwhile, some teams' names were considered so masculine as to beome at least awkward (e.g., Volunteers and Nittany Lions) and occasionally very unsuitable (e.g., South Carolina Gamecocks and Southern Cal Trojans). So some schools adapted (e.g., again, Lady Lions and LadyVols).

This is an imperfect recounting but I hope I have captured a few turning points in the history of names assigned to college.

Oh yeah, back to the LadyVols! I believe their wcbb simply has such a rich tradition that those folks just want to cherish or cling to it, depending on your perspective.

I hear there is a big battle down there about attempting to ban the name "Lady Vols"--- some gender issue. This has probably been discussed already. All the issues in the world, and someone is worried about the term "Lady Vols" offending someone I guess-

There is no battle among LV fans over whether to retain the Lady Vol name and logo. The firestorm was ignited last month when Dave Hart, Tennessee's controversial AD, suddenly and unilaterally announced that seven of Tennessee's eight women's sports teams would no longer be called the "Lady Vols" after June 2015. Hart cited "branding" as the reason for the change. Only the Lady Vol basketball team will continue using the name and logo after that date. Not coincidentally, Tennessee will also switch shoe companies from Adidas to Nike on that date.

Fans and athletes were stunned. The athletes and alumni of the affected sports (soccer, softball, swimming, volleyball, track and field, tennis, and golf) began a campaign to retain their identity as Lady Volunteers. And the WBB fans threw their support behind the effort. A national poll was conducted by ESPNw that showed 77 percent of the national respondents support retention of the name and logo. The support is even higher among Tennessee alumni and athletes. Petitions to UT and Nike are being circulated--one from a former LV swimmer has over 5,000 signatures to date. The controversy won't end anytime soon, but it is primarily an internal controversy within the Tennessee "family," not a "gender" issue.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ahem.

Ahem, actually lead and lead don't sound that much alike. And they both mean very different things. However lead and led sound exactly same, but have very different meanings. Don't even get me started on lede. Don't ask me to explain. :rolleyes:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
There is no battle among LV fans over whether to retain the Lady Vol name and logo. The firestorm was ignited last month when Dave Hart, Tennessee's controversial AD, suddenly and unilaterally announced that seven of Tennessee's eight women's sports teams would no longer be called the "Lady Vols" after June 2015. Hart cited "branding" as the reason for the change. Only the Lady Vol basketball team will continue using the name and logo after that date. Not coincidentally, Tennessee will also switch shoe companies from Adidas to Nike on that date.

Fans and athletes were stunned. The athletes and alumni of the affected sports (soccer, softball, swimming, volleyball, track and field, tennis, and golf) began a campaign to retain their identity as Lady Volunteers. And the WBB fans threw their support behind the effort. A national poll was conducted by ESPNw that showed 77 percent of the national respondents support retention of the name and logo. The support is even higher among Tennessee alumni and athletes. Petitions to UT and Nike are being circulated--one from a former LV swimmer has over 5,000 signatures to date. The controversy won't end anytime soon, but it is primarily an internal controversy within the Tennessee "family," not a "gender" issue.
Interesting. Amazing that one person can unilaterally make such a significant decision like that. Hard to imagine there was not some power behind him. If it happened to be timed with the shoe company change over, maybe their is an advantage to the controversy maybe helping in other ways. thanks for the info!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think it is safe to say that Hart could never be elected mayor of Knoxville, or maybe even get one vote.

Reaction Score

In my opinion, it does seem mainly a gender dispute. Tennessee had a separate women's athletic department that came about primarily because of Pat Summitt's stature. Hart was brought in to cut costs and one of the cost cutting measures was the merging of the two athletic departments. The merger resulted in duplicate positions that had to be eliminated (the cost savings). The reduction in staff fell mainly on the women's side (football being king). The elimination of the Lady Vol brand, to many Tennessee folks was just another indication of the reduction of the status of women's sports at Tenn. This men vs women dispute, and the resulting lawsuits, is unfortunate. There will be no winners.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Today is was announced that the Lady Vol Hall of Fame is being done away with as well. It was started in 2001. This obviously will not sit well with the Lady Vol faithful down here, and across the country. It's another example of Dave Hart, and the Athletic Department, doing something that is completely unnecessary which undermines the excellence that Lady Vols have represented. Also, to be clear, this isn't just a basketball HOF, this was for all women's teams at Tennessee.

"The Lady Volunteer Hall of Fame, which began in 2001, apparently won’t be adding any more inductees. Athletic department spokesman Jimmy Stanton said this week that discussions are underway about “how to best honor and recognize the accomplishments of all of our former student-athletes moving forward.”

Women’s athletes will be considered for future recognition in this context.

The change reflects the university’s announcement Nov. 10 that all women’s teams except basketball effective July 1, 2015 will be known as “Volunteers” and wear the Power T logo, falling in step with the men’s teams."

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/...-plug-on-lady-volunteer-hall-of-fame_69623605

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom