The Kara Wolters You May Not Know | The Boneyard

The Kara Wolters You May Not Know

Reaction Score
From Awkward Teen To The Hall Of Fame, Kara Wolters' Journey
By Lenny Megliola/Special to the News

For a woman who was named national college Player of the Year, won an Olympic gold medal, an NCAA title, a WNBA title and a European championship, and was a Big East Player of the Year, you'd think her basketball life had been sublimely preordained, that her growth came with relative ease.

Fine, assume that.

But for the sake of transparency, you'd have to factor in the taunting she was subjected to, the rejections, the peer pressure that nearly stigmatized her.

Insecurities?
"That's just who I am," said Kara Wolters. "Insecure."

Even after all she's accomplished, the accolades, the fame, the doubt lingered.

Here's a principal example. This year's inductees into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame were announced a few days ago. Wolters' name was on it. Her reaction when she got the call was not surprising.

"I thought, 'really, the Hall of Fame? Really?' I don't know. It was almost embarrassing," she said.

So let's back up. Wolters, from Holliston, was 6-foot-3 when she was in middle school. Heck, a girl that tall just had to give basketball a fling, so let's see what happens. The only sure thing was the verbal abuse.

"I hated being tall in school," she said. "The kids were mean. I was too big. Too slow. Overweight."

It was painful watching her run the floor. This wasn't going to work.

By the time she got to Holliston High, she'd sprouted to 6-foot-7. She was still slow, too heavy.
The taunts followed her. Sure, being that tall it wasn't that difficult for Wolters to pluck rebounds and block shots. Her numbers were good. But this was high school. What about the next level? "I was definitely a project." She knew.

Was there a college that would take a shot on Wolters? She hoped Boston College would give her a chance. Her dad, Willie, played so well at BC that he's in the Eagles' athletic hall of fame.

It broke her heart that BC looked the other way...

[MUCH MORE]

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Love Big Girl. It always made me chuckle to watch her shoot free throws. Bounce ball, adjust shorts, catch ball, bounce again, shoot.

Reaction Score
From Awkward Teen To The Hall Of Fame, Kara Wolters' Journey
By Lenny Megliola/Special to the News

For a woman who was named national college Player of the Year, won an Olympic gold medal, an NCAA title, a WNBA title and a European championship, and was a Big East Player of the Year, you'd think her basketball life had been sublimely preordained, that her growth came with relative ease.

Fine, assume that.

But for the sake of transparency, you'd have to factor in the taunting she was subjected to, the rejections, the peer pressure that nearly stigmatized her.

Insecurities?
"That's just who I am," said Kara Wolters. "Insecure."

Even after all she's accomplished, the accolades, the fame, the doubt lingered.

Here's a principal example. This year's inductees into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame were announced a few days ago. Wolters' name was on it. Her reaction when she got the call was not surprising.

"I thought, 'really, the Hall of Fame? Really?' I don't know. It was almost embarrassing," she said.

So let's back up. Wolters, from Holliston, was 6-foot-3 when she was in middle school. Heck, a girl that tall just had to give basketball a fling, so let's see what happens. The only sure thing was the verbal abuse.

"I hated being tall in school," she said. "The kids were mean. I was too big. Too slow. Overweight."

It was painful watching her run the floor. This wasn't going to work.

By the time she got to Holliston High, she'd sprouted to 6-foot-7. She was still slow, too heavy.
The taunts followed her. Sure, being that tall it wasn't that difficult for Wolters to pluck rebounds and block shots. Her numbers were good. But this was high school. What about the next level? "I was definitely a project." She knew.

Was there a college that would take a shot on Wolters? She hoped Boston College would give her a chance. Her dad, Willie, played so well at BC that he's in the Eagles' athletic hall of fame.

It broke her heart that BC looked the other way...

[MUCH MORE]

Absolutely the best read in a long long time---I love everything about Willie Wolters and am thrilled Kara became a Husky---she wouldn't look good in an Eagle outfit. You can bet three billion Geno dollars that none of Kara's HS classmates
was a championship 6 or 7 times over--Acknowledged by Uconn, Tn, WBB, and
the Uconn Club. She made her basketball playing mom (50 points Wow) prouder than anything--Willie and his wife produced a fine women as well as a great WBB player. Thank you Willie!!

Reaction Score
Geno, CD, and all their assistants have brought more WBB players with some potential to stardom!
They have a knack of using tough love, great coaching, great teammates, to bring out every last bit of ability that a girl has inside!
The list is endless for 31+ years and Kara Wolters is near the top of that list! @

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom