The Irishman | The Boneyard

The Irishman

Reaction Score
Not sure this is worth its own thread, but didn't see comments anywhere. I thought it was decidedly meh. Its been compared thematically to Eastwood's "Unforgiven" and I didn't see that at all. Yes both glorified violence while regretting its inevitable futility, but the Irishman did this via silent stares or just the fact that everyone got old. That's still kind of better than getting shot in the head.
Some of the scenes were fun and acting generally solid especially the cameos. I could have used just a little bit on who Pesci's character actually was and how he got there. If not, then shorten the movie and call it Hoffa's Henchman and focus solely on that. What they did was an attempt to make the movie's subject matter bigger but actually made it smaller.

I did watch it in three sitting which is less than ideal, but it is not worth it to me to spend another 3.5hrs with it to see if it improves via a full movie theater type experience. Maybe if I get sick, but frankly I'd much rather re-watch the Godfather I or II for the umpteenth time.

I'd recommend either "Unforgiven" or "Crimes and Misdemeanors" if you want a treatise on the morality of murder for hire.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
My wife and I watched it - took a couple of sittings. Thought it was good, but not epic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul
Top Bottom