The incomparable Geno Auriemma | The Boneyard

The incomparable Geno Auriemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just thinking about the overall lack of competition in the women's game vs. the men's. Would the women's game be more competitive today if the "wealth" of great players was distributed more evenly? Is UCONN the domineering force it is because so many great players go there? I think back to the 1991 team that went to the final four with only one AA, Bascomb. Geno developed those players into a great team despite their lack of pedigree. He lost Bascomb, but gained Lobo, and the next few years the teams were really good. I thought the 94 team should have gone further but for a dirty blow by Tonya Sampson of North Carolina to Rizotti. The 95 team got maybe the missing piece, Sales. So does it take 2 AAs minimum to win a National Championship? Gino's genius is partnering with CD, understanding the elusive qualities of good chemistry in recruiting players, and bringing out the best in his players. How interesting and entertaining has it been to follow this team over the years!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
AGree completely. The entire process flow of building an NC-caliber team, from evaluating, recruiting, to developing talent, is something Geno has mastered. He demands the maximum in himself and everyone who plays/works for him. He wants to see the game played the right way at all times, and every practice and minute of game time encapsulates those ambitions. To Deb's point, the continuity of his relationship with Chris Dailey, now 30 years strong, has provided uniquely brilliant coaching at the assistant level. CD fosters values that include everything from playing the right way as Geno needs to dressing the right way and carrying oneself like a lady. On top of everything else, Geno's and CD's kids go to class, succeed academically and graduate at a near-100% clip. In short, girls who go to UConn leave where they want to be developmentally, intellectually, professionally, and as women...and on top of that, they almost certainly contend for or even win a national championship along the way!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn has been masterful at getting the right players and developing them. Everyone says Uconn gets all the talent and they do OK but I think the TASSK force was the only #1 recruiting class in Uconn's history (last year it was classed #2?.) Generally they are in the 3-7 range but even a one player year like Kelly's was the 'right' player - it has also mostly been about quality and not quantity.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Uconn has been masterful at getting the right players and developing them. Everyone says Uconn gets all the talent and they do OK but I think the TASSK force was the only #1 recruiting class in Uconn's history (last year it was classed #2?.) Generally they are in the 3-7 range but even a one player year like Kelly's was the 'right' player - it has also mostly been about quality and not quantity.
Last year's class was not ranked in the top 20 (Hoopgurlz) or top 50 (Bluestar). The year before (Hoopgurlz) UCONN was #1. (Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson). #2 in 2011, #3 in 2010, #49 in 2009 (Faris).

Reaction Score
Geno is the ultimate intangible ... players become what they are because of his (and CD's) guidance ... it seems hard to rate a recruiting class potential without looking at the background coaches who bring out that potential ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom