The Impact of Assistant Coaches | The Boneyard

The Impact of Assistant Coaches

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was loitering on another team's board earlier today and saw several mentions of the notion that the right assistant coach can turn things around. I was reminded that this has been something of a recurrent refrain from members of this team's fan base. This, in turn, reminded me of Matt Mitchell's seemingly never ending quest for the perfect assistant to take Kentucky's offense to the next level. We might also recall how people thought Maryland was doomed when Jeff Walz up and left.

I think it is a logical inference to think a very talented assistant may provide what a team needs. However, I can't recall one who has been identified as doing that (CD is Assoc. Head Coach). I suspect it has to do with the Xs and Os being but a fraction of the ingredients needed for a contender. Unity, unselfishness, desire, unrelenting zeal to improve should be key elements of the team culture and the Head Coach has to be in on that every day. Remember what happened when Mitchell essentially delegated everything a couple of years ago?

Anyway, I think it is simplistic to say the head coach lacks X, so get an assistant who has X.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think assistants are an integral part of any program and do make a huge impact both positively and negatively. That doesn't mean that the roles performed from program to program need to be similar, or that a good assistant in one program would automatically work well with a different head coach in another program. It is similar to any hierarchical organization the CEO/HC/President defines the structure and needs to find the underlings that can function in their assigned roles.

There are a couple of things in basketball assistants that I think are essential:
1. Recruiting - they do most of the leg work and are generally the point person with specific recruits. Without the assistants the HC is going to be in trouble no matter how good a closer they are.

2. Providing both discipline and release values for the players - Geno and CD talk about how they counteract each other and that Shea and Marisa do the same. Don't let a kid feel at the end of a day that there isn't someone in their corner.

3. Continuity - most of the better programs have stable staffs, and most of the programs that run into really hard off seasons have had a lot of turnover in staff.

How a HC divides up the actual coaching responsibilities is less important it seems - there have been successful coaches who have turned over either offense or defense to an assistant/associate, and others who are extremely hands on at both ends. Uconn divides the responsibilities by positional group but Geno is pretty hands on with all the players.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mark Campbell is the greatest assistant coach in the history of the world, just ask him, he'll tell you. He single handedly brought both Oregon St. and then Oregon to prominence. He could probably solve world hunger if he wasn't so busy being an awesome assistant coach.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mark Campbell is the greatest assistant coach in the history of the world, just ask him, he'll tell you. He single handedly brought both Oregon St. and then Oregon to prominence. He could probably solve world hunger if he wasn't so busy being an awesome assistant coach.

I'm sure you could tell us more. Made me look at his Ducks Bio. GoDucks.com | The University of Oregon Official Athletics

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
He just comes off as a very cocky blowhard. His resume does look good, but the thing is the programs he left kept rolling along after he was gone. Bennett at St. Marys (men's), Rueck at OSU and Graves at Oregon get most of the credit for the turn around of those programs.

Reaction Score
I was loitering on another team's board earlier today and saw several mentions of the notion that the right assistant coach can turn things around. I was reminded that this has been something of a recurrent refrain from members of this team's fan base. This, in turn, reminded me of Matt Mitchell's seemingly never ending quest for the perfect assistant to take Kentucky's offense to the next level. We might also recall how people thought Maryland was doomed when Jeff Walz up and left.

I think it is a logical inference to think a very talented assistant may provide what a team needs. However, I can't recall one who has been identified as doing that (CD is Assoc. Head Coach). I suspect it has to do with the Xs and Os being but a fraction of the ingredients needed for a contender. Unity, unselfishness, desire, unrelenting zeal to improve should be key elements of the team culture and the Head Coach has to be in on that every day. Remember what happened when Mitchell essentially delegated everything a couple of years ago?

Anyway, I think it is simplistic to say the head coach lacks X, so get an assistant who has X.

There are a few here on the Boneyard that know the inner workings and inner relationships -Associate (is not an assistant), Assistant, coaches with Geno. From all that has been written--it would appear Geno sets up what has to be accomplished and (now with experience) Shea and Marisa go to town doing it. I'm sure CD, except emotionally, is pretty much a Female Geno--minus the ability to get into the minds of players.
But having said that if Shea and Marisa went to Kentucky and were turned lose--the results would not be the same--it is the Geno/CD touch--their expectations--their demands and points of emphasis.
Without a top Head Coach--Assistants are helpers.
You said CD was an Associate not Assistant--I was just emphasizing the fact.

Reaction Score
A good assistant is worth their weight in gold! I, at the beginning was hands-on every aspect of the program, with 1 paid Asst. who turned out to become my best friend! I got 2 volunteer's as added Assts. and one off season in the late 1980's decided to delegate authority to all 4 equally and the program really took off with the best years & teams we've ever had! I would handle the lowest 4 weights, my best friend would take the next 4, my ex-wrestler Asst. took the next 3 and my 280lb+ Asst. handled the upper 3 weights. My best friend and my large Asst. were named Co-National Assistant Wrestling Coaches of the Year by WRESTLING USA magazine!
With UCONN, the coaching staff has no visible egos so they do what is necessary to make the program a success!
You'll notice at time outs other teams coaching staffs get together then the HC speaks to the team. Geno has already gotten input from the 3 Assts. so he handles the huddle by himself! He is the BOSS!
They have had great Assts. through Meg Cuomo, Jamelle Elliott, Tonya Cardozza, now Shea and Melissa, all covering a lot of years that gives UCONN a load of continuity! CD has applied for several HC positions like Rutgers (her alma mater) but recently decided she will not leave UCONN till Geno does! She has all the power of the HC without the BS that goes with the title!

Reaction Score
A good asst coach is a good thing to have.... However, there is not a chance of success for that person if there is not a good competent person at the head coaching position...... Structurally, how can there be? Cant think of any examples of asst coaching shining by him/herself without stellar HC

Reaction Score
A good asst coach is a good thing to have.... However, there is not a chance of success for that person if there is not a good competent person at the head coaching position. Structurally, how can there be? Cant think of any examples of asst coaching shining by him/herself without stellar HC

If the assistant shown that brightly---he/she would probably be fired--before they accepted the HC job.
Just as Geno did so emphatically and emotionally last year. She is unique in WCBB.

I watched an, un-named, Uconn former player working with a less that stellar HC. He used his players as chess pieces--and was not great at it--every second, every move was called from the bench,
I'm spoiled--I know Geno does make in game calls--he's coach- but Geno teaches the Game--not this guy. This former Uconn learned from the best and got stuck --with a middle school coach.

Reaction Score
A year ago, South Carolina hired Melanie Balcomb to, in effect, coach the coaches, because of a perceived deficiency in offense, I believe. Doesn't seem to have hurt.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The continuity of UConn's assistants is extraordinary. This coming season the Huskies will be going on 9 years without any turnover of one of their full-time assistants.

Certainly their have been opportunities for all of Geno's current assistants to move on as HC's. There are probably many reasons why they haven't. Most importantly there is a great working relationship between Geno and his assistants, they are all well compensated and you can never underestimate the importance of being associated with the greatest program in the history of WBB.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
you can never underestimate the importance of being associated with the greatest program in the history of WBB.

Shea said as much last year. "I have a great job." Still, she always says, when its time I'll know. The coy one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Shea said as much last year. "I have a great job." Still, she always says, when its time I'll know. The coy one.
In a perfect world, when Geno & CD eventually step down, Shea & Marissa will step in and the Huskies won't miss a beat.

Reaction Score
The continuity of UConn's assistants is extraordinary. This coming season the Huskies will be going on 9 years without any turnover of one of their full-time assistants.

Certainly their have been opportunities for all of Geno's current assistants to move on as HC's. There are probably many reasons why they haven't. Most importantly there is a great working relationship between Geno and his assistants, they are all well compensated and you can never underestimate the importance of being associated with the greatest program in the history of WBB.

You nailed the best reasons to stay at any job: Compensation (not always of greatest importance), comfort in where you are, knowing you are involved with something that makes a difference, and making young women know they are capable of great heights.

High lighted --the new Uconn bumper sticker.(you may need 2 bumpers)

Reaction Score
In a perfect world, when Geno & CD eventually step down, Shea & Marissa will step in and the Huskies won't miss a beat.

Alas, the world isn't perfect. I'm afraid that when Geno and CD step down
the Huskies will miss several beats, no matter who steps in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom