The Impact of a Mediocre Regular Season | The Boneyard

The Impact of a Mediocre Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This game illustrates the impact of being mediocre in a mediocre conference during the regular season. Instead of giving ourselves a solid shot at making the second weekend, we're left to pray we end up on the right seed line and avoid a top team.

Well, this is what happens. Sometimes we get the #1 team in a hostile arena, a game in which we're never competitive.

If we're going to get back to a point where we're regularly giving ourselves more than a puncher's chance at making the Final Four, we have to start dominating our conference and hitting the ground running in the out-of-conference again.

"Forget November through February, UConn turns it on in March" is a cute narrative, but it's not going to get us to the level we need to be.

Reaction Score
This team was very incomplete. Need to get some semblance of a low post game next year to take the pressure off the guards.

Reaction Score
It's not like it's a choice to be mediocre in the regular season. This was a flawed team all season long, and those weaknesses (rebounding, inability to finish) doomed us against a superior team tonight. Nothing to be ashamed of. Can't win it all every year.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
This game illustrates the impact of being mediocre in a mediocre conference during the regular season. Instead of giving ourselves a solid shot at making the second weekend, we're left to pray we end up on the right seed line and avoid a top team.

Well, this is what happens. Sometimes we get the #1 team in a hostile arena, a game in which we're never competitive.

If we're going to get back to a point where we're regularly giving ourselves more than a puncher's chance at making the Final Four, we have to start dominating our conference and hitting the ground running in the out-of-conference again.

"Forget November through February, UConn turns it on in March" is a cute narrative, but it's not going to get us to the level we need to be.

My god. Did they even take their uniforms off yet Dude?

Reaction Score
Oh please. The problems we had all season were the same problems we had today. And we were playing the best team in the country. If Ollie doesn't pull in Gibbs and Miller for this year we would have probably won 15 games all year if we were lucky. It has everything to do with the players we put on the court and despite our love for our guys we lived on magic for a while. It was a good season actually given where we were a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Agree.played a much better second half both O and D. We just couldn't hit enough shots.. 34% FG will not win you many games.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Having solid regular seasons did a lot for Michigan St and West Virginia.

Reaction Score
This experience was great for this team, especially the kids coming back, in particular PURVIS, Hamilton, and Adams all gained priceless experience. Purvis showed a lot tonight and has me excited about him coming back next year. Not everything needs to be negative, we lost to the #1 team in the country. Build this team up, after all should be top 15 preseason ranking next year.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I feel like you've had this written for quite a while now and were just itching to post it.

Your schtick of complaining about everything and taking no joy even when the team succeeds is never ending and so freaking tired.

You're truely one of the worst posters on this site. Which is quite incredible when you think about it.

Reaction Score
Well said Tenspro. But lets face it, we are going to have down years from time to time. With our conference situation, we would really have to dominate wire to wire in order to get a top 2 seed. I think where we stand right now as a program, its not out of the question to expect a 3-6 seed in the tournament. Its very hard to advance with a 7-10 seed. Thats why 2014 was so special.

Reaction Score
I feel like you've had this written for quite a while now and were just itching to post it.

Your schtick of complaining about everything and taking no joy even when the team succeeds is never ending and so freaking tired.

You're truely one of the worst posters on this site. Which is quite incredible when you think about it.

Sorry I'm not in the mood for kumbaya after we just lost a non-competitive game.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score

damn

Reaction Score
I don't care who we play in the tournament and when. You are going to have to beat some good teams to win a championship regardless.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's not like it's a choice to be mediocre in the regular season. This was a flawed team all season long, and those weaknesses (rebounding, inability to finish) doomed us against a superior team tonight. Nothing to be ashamed of. Can't win it all every year.
This.

I think I bought some of the preseason hype that we had all these parts and could have a special season. It didn't quite happen. Sometimes it takes more than a year for all those parts to mesh, or maybe the ceiling just wasn't that high. Either way, they managed to win a conference tournament. If they had managed to prevent some of Kansas's first half scoring advantage we'd be pretty damn happy about now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Now is not the time for this sh_t. Give it a rest.
Its Tens - surprised he didn't slay KO but I know that is coming soon
This team underachieved to many but I'm not sure that may be the case. They played all year without an inside game - in fact ONE game the bigs did play well - vs SMU at home and what happened?
This was not a team - it was a bunch of parts and at many times these parts didn't work together. Yeah blame KO cuz its sooooo easy to do but if you think for one minute he foresaw this you are crazy. Some of these parts excelled at certain things but in too many cases what they needed, they didn't have. Those are easy to hide during intra squad scrimmages.
Next year DHam, JA, hopefully RP will make a great trio to go with what is coming in
The secret is at the 5 position - will AB REALLY work on becoming a complete player? If not he can sit and lets bring on the next project. For the most part today he looked silly

Reaction Score
I don't think tonight had anything to do with the venue. It was hardly "hostile." The opponent, they were good, but I don't come away from that game thinking Kansas is some juggernaut. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a game they should have won, since Kansas has demonstrated since the beginning of the year that they're the better team, but it doesn't change the fact that if we play UConn basketball, most years we're going to be able to beat anyone anywhere. This year included. It's just the tournament. The vast majority of the time, you're not going to win or even come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom