The Husky Insider Podcast with Mike Crispino & David Benedict - July 2019 | The Boneyard

The Husky Insider Podcast with Mike Crispino & David Benedict - July 2019

Reaction Score
Husky Insider w AD David Benedict Part 1 July 29, 2019 -> 8 min
>>On the move to the Big East being official now, this being a new endeavor and maintaining the "UConn Brand" big factors in the move<<

Husky Insider Podcast w AD David Benedict - Part 2, July 29, 2019 -> 19 min
>>This segment is all about scheduling football as an "Independent"..the Future of the CFP and speculation of a "what if" for a school like say, UCF to a Power Five...<<

Husky Insider Podcast w AD David Benedict - Part 3, July 29, 2019 -> 11 min
>>This segment surrounds the expectations for the 2019 season with another young team, a veteran O-Line and a new QB....plus, David's chat w Randy Edsall on the move to being "Independent"<<

Husky Insider Podcast w AD David Benedict - Part 4, July 29, 2019 -> 19 min
>>The final segment on the TV Deals, creating new partnerships with Fox, SNY and perhaps others. The Athletics Construction Update, Baseball, A new Softball Coach and a progress report on Dan Hurley<<

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A lot of reading between the lines on my part, but during part II, it sounds like a lot of programs are looking closely at this UConn experiment. Especially their soon-to-be ex-conference mates in the American. Looking at Navy (who already have their own separate TV deal), Cinci, and Temple. Maybe UCF and USF.

There is a pretty clear indication that the P5 is probably not expanding. Not from the AAC anyway. Benedict even balked at the suggestion that the ACC or SEC would come calling on UCF because as good as they have been, Conference networks are already in Florida (I believe I even heard a snicker at the tail end of the question). The Big XII as constituted already rejected them. Also, travel. There is a far greater chance that the CFP expands.

That brings it back to whether other programs consider independence. I don't think Cinci has a large fanbase. I recall their area being a dot surrounding Cinci and extended by a hair to Northern Kentucky. It would be interesting how they would supplement a non-football media share. Louisville will keep them out of the ACC and tOSU will keep them out of the Big Ten. The SEC is a laughable suggestion and they don't add value to the current Big XII.

Temple was a part of the A10. Could they return and go indy for football? They have a lot of the same media and travel issues that UConn has in the AAC.

Navy has their own TV deal for football. They are in the Patriot League for basketball and presumably all other sports.

Now consider whether the P5 contracts (and make no mistake that the changing media landscape makes that a possibility). The ADs for these programs would be nuts to burn bridges with an Independent UConn. As the experiment moves forward, UConn could pave a way through for others to make take the plunge.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A lot of reading between the lines on my part, but during part II, it sounds like a lot of programs are looking closely at this UConn experiment. Especially their soon-to-be ex-conference mates in the American. Looking at Navy (who already have their own separate TV deal), Cinci, and Temple. Maybe UCF and USF.

There is a pretty clear indication that the P5 is probably not expanding. Not from the AAC anyway. Benedict even balked at the suggestion that the ACC or SEC would come calling on UCF because as good as they have been, Conference networks are already in Florida (I believe I even heard a snicker at the tail end of the question). The Big XII as constituted already rejected them. Also, travel. There is a far greater chance that the CFP expands.

That brings it back to whether other programs consider independence. I don't think Cinci has a large fanbase. I recall their area being a dot surrounding Cinci and extended by a hair to Northern Kentucky. It would be interesting how they would supplement a non-football media share. Louisville will keep them out of the ACC and tOSU will keep them out of the Big Ten. The SEC is a laughable suggestion and they don't add value to the current Big XII.

Temple was a part of the A10. Could they return and go indy for football? They have a lot of the same media and travel issues that UConn has in the AAC.

Navy has their own TV deal for football. They are in the Patriot League for basketball and presumably all other sports.

Now consider whether the P5 contracts (and make no mistake that the changing media landscape makes that a possibility). The ADs for these programs would be nuts to burn bridges with an Independent UConn. As the experiment moves forward, UConn could pave a way through for others to make take the plunge.

Bingo. There is a feeling that the cable boxed fueled P5 expansion model is over. And that what UConn is doing is more likly than not to be the future for the years to come. Park your sports in a regional conference (if you can) and play independent football. Temple and Cincy are obvious candidates that might need to follow this path someday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom