The Huskies guard rotation | The Boneyard

The Huskies guard rotation

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of the many questions surrounding UConn at the start of the season, one of the most persistent focused on guard play. Everyone assumed that Kia would be, well Kia, but there was much debate and concern relative to the other guard spot. Would Saniya be able to overcome consistency and confidence issues that plagued her through her first three seasons at Storrs? Would Crystal be able to quickly develop into the next Mo Jeff or would she face the same struggles that most freshmen face at UConn?

At the beginning of the season, if anything the questions and concerns became more acute. Saniya and Crystal were both inconsistent. Adding fuel to the fire, they both missed games due to concussions and Crystal also due to a foot injury. What was worse, Kia started the season off inconsistently, seeming to crumble under the weight of expectations.

What a difference a few weeks makes. Kia exploded for 33 vs Depaul and she has been the ROCK that everyone expected since that game. Over the past few weeks, Saniya has been an absolute revelation with her all-around play, leading the nation in A/TO ratio with an astonishing 4+, providing solid defense and scoring punch. Word is that Saniya has been lighting it up in practice with her shooting, reminding everyone of the senior at Ossining HS that averaged over 30 per game. Her 17 pts yesterday was a gentle reminder that Saniya can be a big time scorer if need be.

Finally there is Crystal. She is so close to having a breakout game that you can feel it, like an earth tremor just before the big one. Her assists were great yesterday, but when she buried the two 3-pointers, I felt the same excitement that I had when she lit up Baylor. IMO, once the breakout comes, Crystal won't look back.

As the Huskies get closer to tournament time, it looks more and more like they will have an excellent 3-guard rotation that they can depend on. With Nat's steady progress, and maybe even some help from Kyla, the lack of depth in the frontcourt is less a concern then it was.

There was a scene in the All-Access show at the beginning of the season, during a particularly good practice, when Geno says to Shea in a subdued voice, "We've got a chance...We've got a chance..." Yes Gracie, with a solid 7-8 player rotation, this team has more than a good chance to hang their 12th banner at Gampel.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Our guard play is really clicking. Kia and Saniya are solid.

Crystal is showing what she is capable of. A few of her assist yeaterday were things of beauty.

I have no worries going forward.

Reaction Score
Great post! And so reassuring that the guard rotation is solid. I think we're all holding our breath about the rotation in the front court, because, being undersized, that's where the fouls would happen.
But Nat is really showing great progress in Tulsa game!!! Notice the elevation and bouncy steps in her overall demeanor. Really need Nat in March!!! Love Chong and Danger in that game!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I still have hope that Molly might become a 4th guard in the regular backcourt rotation. If hard work alone were all that was necessary, she'd be there already.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I still have hope that Molly might become a 4th guard in the regular backcourt rotation. If hard work alone were all that was necessary, she'd be there already.
When I watch Molly play, I am reminded of the "Donald, occasional overthinker" character in the bank commercials that run during UConn games and other programming. (He is the one who dropped his phone in a bowl of salsa and now it can only send texts.) Really, SNY should introduce them to each other -- maybe they could get each other to relax. On the other hand ...

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Excellent points, oldude.

Although the Tulsa game will not be remembered as vintage UConn, there were many positive takeaways and a lot of them involve those three guards.

They were all on the floor together a good part of the first half, and totalled 94 minutes between the three of them. The three were also 7-13 on three pointers, 17 assists total and only 4 turnovers. Many of the assists were things of beauty, esp. Crystal, although Gabby topped them all with the pass to Lou for a reverse layup near the end of the third quarter. Good defensive effort by the guards as well.

Saniya in particular was shooting the ball confidently and effortlessly, but the other two looked great shooting out there as well. Shooting is all about confidence (short memory also helps), and it looks like they have it now.

For the team as a whole, 32 assists on 39 baskets, and only 6 fouls, 8 turnovers.

Reaction Score
Would love a "bouncy" Nat, but I like that she can pass out of the double team, picking her spots, because not every offensive rebound is a put-back. And that foul-shot jumper; her eyes should light up when she's not covered out there. But I get a "OMG I'm open; I better shoot" feel, rather than "somebody just gave me the keys to the city."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We all know that UConn's coaching staff is the best in the business, but we often take it for granted. What the coaches have accomplished in developing this team, from the starting 5 through the last player on the bench is nothing short of extraordinary.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about the front court. Natalie is showing she is a capable sub. She has shown she can bang and board. Her offense latley has been much improved.

I would not yet countnt out Kyla. She has shown us some stuff the last few games.

Reaction Score
The first half was in line with Geno's adage that defense wins games, and offense, by how much.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about the front court. Natalie is showing she is a capable sub. She has shown she can bang and board. Her offense latley has been much improved.

I would not yet countnt out Kyla. She has shown us some stuff the last few games.

I don't see Kyla contributing in big games. These are not good teams in our conference.

Reaction Score
Of the many questions surrounding UConn at the start of the season, one of the most persistent focused on guard play. Everyone assumed that Kia would be, well Kia, but there was much debate and concern relative to the other guard spot. Would Saniya be able to overcome consistency and confidence issues that plagued her through her first three seasons at Storrs? Would Crystal be able to quickly develop into the next Mo Jeff or would she face the same struggles that most freshmen face at UConn?

At the beginning of the season, if anything the questions and concerns became more acute. Saniya and Crystal were both inconsistent. Adding fuel to the fire, they both missed games due to concussions and Crystal also due to a foot injury. What was worse, Kia started the season off inconsistently, seeming to crumble under the weight of expectations.

What a difference a few weeks makes. Kia exploded for 33 vs Depaul and she has been the ROCK that everyone expected since that game. Over the past few weeks, Saniya has been an absolute revelation with her all-around play, leading the nation in A/TO ratio with an astonishing 4+, providing solid defense and scoring punch. Word is that Saniya has been lighting it up in practice with her shooting, reminding everyone of the senior at Ossining HS that averaged over 30 per game. Her 17 pts yesterday was a gentle reminder that Saniya can be a big time scorer if need be.

Finally there is Crystal. She is so close to having a breakout game that you can feel it, like an earth tremor just before the big one. Her assists were great yesterday, but when she buried the two 3-pointers, I felt the same excitement that I had when she lit up Baylor. IMO, once the breakout comes, Crystal won't look back.

As the Huskies get closer to tournament time, it looks more and more like they will have an excellent 3-guard rotation that they can depend on. With Nat's steady progress, and maybe even some help from Kyla, the lack of depth in the frontcourt is less a concern then it was.

There was a scene in the All-Access show at the beginning of the season, during a particularly good practice, when Geno says to Shea in a subdued voice, "We've got a chance...We've got a chance..." Yes Gracie, with a solid 7-8 player rotation, this team has more than a good chance to hang their 12th banner at Gampel.

Actually, there's another guard option that you didn't mention. Lou can also play the 2 if Geno wants Natalie's size in the middle and Pheesa and Gabby at forwards. KLS is capable of putting up maximum points from the outside (more than any other guard), so having her as the shooting guard adds offense while maximizing size under the boards. Against SC, this configuration could be especially helpful. And, of course, Lou is a solid dribbler, passer, and can drive to the hole.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Our guard play is really clicking. Kia and Saniya are solid.

Crystal is showing what she is capable of. A few of her assist yeaterday were things of beauty.

I have no worries going forward.

Me either. And I think we take care of business against South Carolina a week from tonight as well. :cool:

Reaction Score

Key word---CHANCE of getting the next banner!! No guarantee! However I liked every word your wrote!! Accurate!! I think Danger turned the corner in the Temple game, more in the Tulsa game
Chong is steady eddie--who'da thunk it??>?>? Add a super point guard in the body of Kia---the world looks rosy!!!

Reaction Score
Not happening this year. If a player hasn't emerged in Geno's rotation by February, she's not gonna be getting major minutes in March. Geno is gonna ride the top 7 the rest of the way.

It is good he will ---"ride the top 7 the rest of the way"--cuz that's all he has!!
If the floor caves in and the ceiling is coming down--Kyla 8th off the bench, Molly 9th but only in case of disaster. Butler has improved by leaps and bounds--she is the best possible Natalie she can be at this moment in time. Danger isn't perfect --with a glowing weakness-- but her upside is so high.

Reaction Score
Not happening this year. If a player hasn't emerged in Geno's rotation by February, she's not gonna be getting major minutes in March. Geno is gonna ride the top 7 the rest of the way.
February has come, dear Caesar, but not gone. Kyla and Molly still have a chance.

Reaction Score
February has come, dear Caesar, but not gone. Kyla and Molly still have a chance.
A chance to do what?
Play - yes.
Contribute - yes.
Play in important games? No. Not this year.

Reaction Score
A chance to do what?
Play - yes.
Contribute - yes.
Play in important games? No. Not this year.
I'm thinking a chance to show Geno that if the team suffers an injury, or is in foul trouble, they are able to play a few minutes without hurting the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom