The hiring window | The Boneyard

The hiring window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm thinking the third week of December.

Or the first week of January.

We finish 12/7 and most teams finish before that, that gives Warde a week+ to interview the finalists. If he wants to jump start the program, that would be the earliest he could move.

More likely, the bowl season (minus the BCS) finishes up by January. That opens up more candidates especially big time assistants who will be coaching in December, some may be coaching in the BCS. The last game, the NC, is January 6th. So it's second week of January at the latest. Any longer means there is a problem.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm thinking the third week of December.

Or the first week of January.

We finish 12/7 and most teams finish before that, that gives Warde a week+ to interview the finalists. If he wants to jump start the program, that would be the earliest he could move.

More likely, the bowl season (minus the BCS) finishes up by January. That opens up more candidates especially big time assistants who will be coaching in December, some may be coaching in the BCS. The last game, the NC, is January 6th. So it's second week of January at the latest. Any longer means there is a problem.

By Christmas at the latest. Even given that date, an issue may be afoot. December 25 barely gives the new head coach less than six weeks to recruit a staff let alone make contact with recruits or go after other kids that may better fit their system.

If the hiring process takes Mr. Manuel into January, there is definitely a problem. The regular season ends for every coach by early December and except for the NC game this year and the playoff, next year, the bowls are exhibitions. Period. And there are countless examples of a coach, whether he coaches his current team in the bowl or not, having accepted a position at a different school between the regular season and the bowl game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He is talking to coaches' agents as we type. He will be talking to the coaches themselves as early as the end of November. He's been conducting this search since the 3rd quarter of Towson. If we don't have a coach by mid December there is a problem.

No kidding. Asst coaches leave between the end of the reg season and bowl games all the time.

I think by December 7th UConn has a new coach. Gives him a week or two to get his assistants in place by January 1st and have six strong weeks of recruiting by signing day.

One of the questions the prospective coaches should ask WM is "what's my budge for assistants?".

One of the questions WM should ask the prospective coaches is "who is on your rolodex for assistant coaches?".

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Coaches leave their teams high and dry during bowl season all of the time (it's one of the things that I hate about CFB actually). How did TJ Weist get his interim tag at Cincinnati? Because Butch Jones bolted to Tennessee before the Bearcats took the field for their bowl game last year. Every year we see a couple of teams take the field led by interim coaches. I'd be surprised if we don't have a new coach in place by the end of bowl season or, quite possibly, before bowl season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that our next head coach will be the head coach at his current school on New Years Day.

If it is a high level assistant (who likely will be coaching that day) it will already have been announced that he will be leaving for UConn after the game. If it the head coach at a MAC school, their bowl season will be over in and around Christmas.

Reaction Score
He is talking to coaches' agents as we type. He will be talking to the coaches themselves as early as the end of November. He's been conducting this search since the 3rd quarter of Towson. If we don't have a coach by mid December there is a problem.

plus 1,000. Serious candidates should know that the job, if offered, will have a very small window to accept or turn down. Would have no problem if the new coach stays with his old school through the bowl game because they can still get some pretty serious work done, but need someone in place as early as possible.

Reaction Score
No kidding. Asst coaches leave between the end of the reg season and bowl games all the time.

I think by December 7th UConn has a new coach. Gives him a week or two to get his assistants in place by January 1st and have six strong weeks of recruiting by signing day.

One of the questions the prospective coaches should ask WM is "what's my budge for assistants?".

One of the questions WM should ask the prospective coaches is "who is on your rolodex for assistant coaches?".

Any candidate's first question will be, "Can I reasonably expect to get the kids I need into school?" Any answer, other than "yes" (excluding felons and functional illiterates), will be telling a candidate that UCONN is a coaching graveyard.

Reaction Score
The interviews will be set up the week of the memphis game. They will take place the week or two following that game. Hire will be made week of Dec 20...someone will get a nice christmas present. Warde has the luxury of pairing down his list during the season so he cam get right to it instead of having to compile a list after the Memphis game.

Reaction Score
Any candidate's first question will be, "Can I reasonably expect to get the kids I need into school?" Any answer, other than "yes" (excluding felons and functional illiterates), will be telling a candidate that UCONN is a coaching graveyard.

It is reasonable to ask the question and yes...there are criteria which is slightly "different". It even exists in the IVY's...personally seeing it with a good friend's son who is now enjoying the benefit of an ivy education and is not a 4.0. If you are reasonably close and you can run a 4.4 to 4.6 40, this is one alum who wants great talent. I consider it part of our marketing and sales effort to sell the school in many avenues..including Alumni endowment and fundraising if our sports teams across the board are getting the name of my school out there....I do want relaxed admissions standards for any and all athletes in all the sports and latitude given to coaches, within reason, to go out and get what you need......it is the student's responsibility to maintain a certain GPA and stay academically eligible....let "em in. Would much rather see us in a bowl game and decently high graduation rate than 0 and 12....SO YES, ANY COACHING CANDIDATE needs to know that we need to do what we need to do!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Would not be surprised to see someone on board by mid December given the number one priority to rebuilding is recruiting, followed by recruiting and third...recruiting.
Preceded and concurrent getting assistant's on board to help in the recruiting effort.

Reaction Score
The interviews will be set up the week of the memphis game. They will take place the week or two following that game. Hire will be made week of Dec 20...someone will get a nice christmas present. Warde has the luxury of pairing down his list during the season so he cam get right to it instead of having to compile a list after the Memphis game.

I agree for the most part but depending on the relationships that Asst Coaches have with their Head Coaches or that Head Coaches have with their AD's - interviews can be happening now IF there is mutual consent and if circumstances allow (bye-weeks):

From today:

FAU interviews Ohio State's Luke Fickell for vacant head coaching position
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ad-coaching-position-20131105,0,6321050.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom