The high-hedge defense | The Boneyard

The high-hedge defense

Reaction Score
Not nearly as much high-hedge on defense this year an I’m happy about that. I know it’s worked overall in the past though. Was always worried about an opposing coach game planning around.

Reaction Score
The high hedge sure didn't look great when we high hedged early in the first half again ISU and they scored on 3 or 4 consecutive pick and roles to start the game. It stopped when DC subbed in and then we went on a run. When Adama came back I think ISU went away from the high screen or maybe we actually made an adjustment to have him back off a bit.

Reaction Score
Not nearly as much high-hedge on defense this year an I’m happy about that. I know it’s worked overall in the past though. Was always worried about an opposing coach game planning around.
It’s game plan-dependent and has actually been used quite a bit again this year. It was used a ton with Sanogo against Alabama and was insanely effective.

It’s not as noticeable because a) Sanogo has been much better at it this year and b) it doesn’t suit Clingan’s skill set so they’re not asking him to do it

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It destroyed Alabama though.

Like everything else going our way so far this year, Hurley is on a great coaching run. He is using the hard hedge at right times and adjusting out at right times. His sub patterns are great and he is more restrained from the over the top sideline antics. I can be hard on him sometimes, but on the flipside I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed and glad he's ours. Even if we had taken a loss or two already, I would think that he is still pushing all the right buttons right now. He deserves a ton of praise from a a ton of angles. He really assembled a squad where all the pieces fit. That's really hard to do.

Reaction Score

Like everything else going our way so far this year, Hurley is on a great coaching run. He is using the hard hedge at right times and adjusting out at right times. His sub patterns are great and he is more restrained from the over the top sideline antics. I can be hard on him sometimes, but on the flipside I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed and glad he's ours. Even if we had taken a loss or two already, I would think that he is still pushing all the right buttons right now. He deserves a ton of praise from a a ton of angles. He really assembled a squad where all the pieces fit. That's really hard to do.

Agree on all of it. He's still young enough to be improving, just like our players. I respect leading by example.

I wouldn't mind another ejection in a big game to build Kimani's resume a bit more though. Maybe Creighton this time. ;)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think he realized Clingan and Sanogo aren't as quick as Whaley was and shouldn't risk stupid fouls so far away from the basket. They're both more valuable around the rim than by the half-court

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he realized Clingan and Sanogo aren't as quick as Whaley was and shouldn't risk stupid fouls so far away from the basket. They're both more valuable around the rim than by the half-court
Well especially Clingan. Sanogo is still hedging. Clingan isn't really asked to do it at all. I think it explains some of our effectiveness with Clingan. It really requires a secondary rim protector, and with Johnson out, we don't have one.

Reaction Score
Charting the PKI replays and so was watching for this specifically. Think these were the times Iowa St. scored in PnR in the first half. All in drop.
  • Early on, Sanogo in drop gets thrown over for alley-oop. Bit of no man's land.
  • 12:32 - Clingan in drop steps up to ball but he+Diarra aren't able to prevent pass to roll man, bounce pass dunk.
  • 11:33 - Clingan and Jackson in drop. They contain ball handler, Karaban cheats into paint to cover the roll man, his man sneaks behind for alley-oop. Jackson contested the pass but Clingan has his hands down a bit and Karaban never looks at his man and actually takes a couple steps out of the paint while his man is moving into it. Mostly on Karaban. He was in right position initially but lost track of his man.
  • 05:17 - Sanogo and Calcaterra in drop, keeps dropping never steps to ball. Calcaterra a little slow getting back to man. Sanogo never helps. They get a layup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My two issues with this defensive tactic are A) the High Hedge needs to be perfectly executed by all 5 players on defense, or it can be a disaster, and B) I am not a big fan of chasing players around 5 feet above the 3 point line in half court defense unless you are running a trap.

Reaction Score
Virginia's high hedge was pretty effective closing out the game against Michigan - not just a Hurley thing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

UConn basketball Head Coaches were both excellent in November.

Reaction Score
In the Bama game watching Adama on the high hedge was super impressive due to his stamina and motor…in the ISU game they hit those ally oops that took it away early.

Its effective we just cant use it every game

Reaction Score
The high hedge prevents the ball handler from getting an open pass to the big in PnR. But Clingan is so tall he can hold his ground between the opposing players and still be in position to defend the shot or pass. And our perimeter D has been able to recover to their man quickly in these situations. Lots to like

Reaction Score
It’s not as noticeable because a) Sanogo has been much better at it this year and b) it doesn’t suit Clingan’s skill set so they’re not asking him to do it
This is the answer and a comment that I made in another thread.

And all our the charted failed pnr defense above where from drop coverage not hedge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My two issues with this defensive tactic are A) the High Hedge needs to be perfectly executed by all 5 players on defense,
I don't think that's a disqualifier for this crew

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The high hedge sure didn't look great when we high hedged early in the first half again ISU and they scored on 3 or 4 consecutive pick and roles to start the game. It stopped when DC subbed in and then we went on a run. When Adama came back I think ISU went away from the high screen or maybe we actually made an adjustment to have him back off a bit.
It depends a little bit on who's hedging, and who's the on-the-ball defender. Also on whether the opponent has a plan on what to do against it and can execute that plan. I saw Marquette consistently use the high hedge against Baylor, and it worked pretty darn well. Marquette's guys hedged hard, disrupting the path of the dribbler, and recovered quickly. Against ISU after half time Sanogo was better about being aggressive with the hedge and not just showing, and still recovered well to his guy.

Reaction Score
The one thing I'll say, even if we don't have a shot blocker at the 4 like Samson Johnson, when Karaban has been there's he's shown great awareness and has done well stepping into the paint and contesting shots

Reaction Score
We didn’t high hedge there.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of the high hedge 5 feet past the 3 point line,. The high edge worked against alabama though. It seems that DH may be evolving as I’ve not seen DC so as much of this. @Doctor Hoop makes a good point in that it depends who is hedging.

Reaction Score
The high hedge is effective if it is NOT used every time down the court. And when the big man attacks and retreats quickly. We should only use it to disrupt or throw off the timing of the offense not our primary defense. Sanogo has improved at it over last year to be sure.

Reaction Score
The one thing I'll say, even if we don't have a shot blocker at the 4 like Samson Johnson, when Karaban has been there's he's shown great awareness and has done well stepping into the paint and contesting shots

Yup. If you're going to high hedge on a few times on pick and roll possessions, you have to have a a 4 with great defensive awareness. A shotblocker is best, but if you have a high IQ guy like Karaban to body up, that's a solid option too. Our rotations down low have been much better this year IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom