The Hartford Courant and UConn Hockey | The Boneyard

The Hartford Courant and UConn Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The morning after the best comeback and perhaps best win in their brief Hockey East existence, the hometown paper has a small blurb tucked in the 2nd page. Knowing that after Friday's win, UConn was in position to host its first Hockey East playoff round, the Courant decided not to send anyone and to give it little attention.

The morning of the beginning of the Best of 3 series at the XL center and the Hartford Courant mentions nothing until below the fold on C5, hidden in a section called "Notebook" in which the lead is dedicated to CCSU basketball.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and can't think of what's up.

I'm not a conspiracy person, but something so crazy makes you wonder.
Is the courant pissed at UConn for leaking all the big news to Blaudschun rather than any of the Hartford Courant scribes? Obviously this doesn't involve Saturday, but perhaps today.
Obviously the Courant can't take out their anger on either hoops team or maybe even the football team - but something like the hockey team might be the right size and right circumstance to give the Courant a chance to teach UConn a lesson, so to speak.

Again, I'm sure it's crazy and 99% no chance, but I honestly can't understand what the hell is going on.

Any other theories that I'm missing other than they just might be run by idiots?

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
The Courant sux. Plain and simple. Anyone that challenges any of their writers or even gives any type of constructive feedback to them or any of their sales reps gets a cold shoulder and/or no reply.
Pretty pathetic for the Nation's oldest running circular.

Reaction Score
The morning after the best comeback and perhaps best win in their brief Hockey East existence, the hometown paper has a small blurb tucked in the 2nd page. Knowing that after Friday's win, UConn was in position to host its first Hockey East playoff round, the Courant decided not to send anyone and to give it little attention.

The morning of the beginning of the Best of 3 series at the XL center and the Hartford Courant mentions nothing until below the fold on C5, hidden in a section called "Notebook" in which the lead is dedicated to CCSU basketball.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and can't think of what's up.

I'm not a conspiracy person, but something so crazy makes you wonder.
Is the courant pissed at UConn for leaking all the big news to Blaudschun rather than any of the Hartford Courant scribes? Obviously this doesn't involve Saturday, but perhaps today.
Obviously the Courant can't take out their anger on either hoops team or maybe even the football team - but something like the hockey team might be the right size and right circumstance to give the Courant a chance to teach UConn a lesson, so to speak.

Again, I'm sure it's crazy and 99% no chance, but I honestly can't understand what the hell is going on.

Any other theories that I'm missing other than they just might be run by idiots?
The Courant sux. Plain and simple. Anyone that challenges any of their writers or even gives any type of constructive feedback to them or any of their sales reps gets a cold shoulder and/or no reply.
Pretty pathetic for the Nation's oldest running circular.
I have taken the time to get to know Mike Anthony from the Courant who works the UConn hockey beat..among MANY other's. He's a really good guy...and also covers Central CT Basketball, Hartford basketball and a few other things. Unfortunately..Howie Dickenman coached his last game at central the same time as UConn beat UNH. Mike was at the Central game...so he wasn't up in Durham NH for the hockey game. If you follow him on twitter he's really good about getting the line-up out before the ouck drops and giving in game updates. I'm not sticking up for the Curant as much as I am sticking up for Mike...because I really think he does a really good job with what he gets to work with.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I have taken the time to get to know Mike Anthony from the Courant who works the UConn hockey beat..among MANY other's. He's a really good guy...and also covers Central CT Basketball, Hartford basketball and a few other things. Unfortunately..Howie Dickenman coached his last game at central the same time as UConn beat UNH. Mike was at the Central game...so he wasn't up in Durham NH for the hockey game. If you follow him on twitter he's really good about getting the line-up out before the ouck drops and giving in game updates. I'm not sticking up for the Curant as much as I am sticking up for Mike...because I really think he does a really good job with what he gets to work with.
Prob the case, I am really referring to most of the other writers.

Reaction Score
Yea, they had an entire 1/4 page section of the sports page for a meaningless tune-up match of qunnipiac vs Yale by Doyle, but instead the best game of UConn's early career in hockey east gets reduced to regional digest and college notebook? The courant hardly ever writes or covers Quinnipiac or Yale, so why all of a sudden now? They coulda sent Doyle up there. Put in a press release from another source. Something....

Reaction Score
Yea, they had an entire 1/4 page section of the sports page for a meaningless tune-up match of qunnipiac vs Yale by Doyle, but instead the best game of UConn's early career in hockey east gets reduced to regional digest and college notebook? The courant hardly ever writes or covers Quinnipiac or Yale, so why all of a sudden now? They coulda sent Doyle up there. Put in a press release from another source. Something....
Probably because of where QU is ranked (They were #1 last I checked)...and that they have as good a shot as any to win the NC this year. What they should have done is send Doyle to cover the Dickenman game or up to Durham for the UConn game. Honestly I think they (the Courant admin) didn't think UConn would beat UNH in Durham, that's why they didn't send anyone.

Reaction Score
Yeah to be clear, I'm not blaming Anthony on any of this....but it's hideous coverage quite frankly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is the game televised tonight?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Or watch it live in Hartford...
If that was a possibility, I would not have asked about television.

Reaction Score
I'm not old enough to remember, but I'm guessing the Courant wasn't giving tons of coverage to WBB until it got good. It took awhile for that to happen, even with the best coach ever. Once hockey gets to that level (not winning 10 titles level but, say, getting to the Frozen Four level) it'll get more coverage.

Reaction Score
I'm not old enough to remember, but I'm guessing the Courant wasn't giving tons of coverage to WBB until it got good. It took awhile for that to happen, even with the best coach ever. Once hockey gets to that level (not winning 10 titles level but, say, getting to the Frozen Four level) it'll get more coverage.

I was following the women's basketball team closely starting with Rebecca Lobo's freshman year. The Courant really got going with WBB coverage when the women started selling out Gampel. Gampel was sold out for every game in the first national championship season in 1995, and they had a few other sell outs in the couple of seasons before that. The Courant took notice of those early sell outs, and that is when their coverage increased. The Courant was following the crowds, and in this case, the crowds were there ahead of the Courant.

Reaction Score
Today's coverage placement:

Front page
TOP STORY - Conn women's basketball awards UConn kicks but, shocker YAWN - could have slid this somewhere else
Left side - Jacbos column involved the hockey game gave him about 5 inches on the left with the headline "UConn Magic on Ice Elusive" (Way to re-introduce the hockey team to the front page, Courant).
Right side - Ollie article
Middle - huge picture of the Capital Prep vs. Farmington second round Class L tournament women's hoops.

UConn game story on page 4.

So in essense with the women hoops tourney starting today and the men playing tomorrow this was the one chance this weekend to give UConn hockey good coverage and they whiffed. Putting a small piece of the Jacobs column on the left with no game story or picture is just comical. How about instead of sending two photog's to the UConn women's awards ceremony and a women's high school game, you send ONE of them to the UConn game. And if you still want to bury the game story on page 4, at least give us a hockey pic to go along with the Jacobs column instead of leaving his column naked...and I'm sure Jacobs was there because he wanted to be there, not because the Courant asked him to. He's a hockey guy.

I'm just rambling but this is a local team that draws 5-6K per game on average - it's not like there isn't a following.

Reaction Score
from uconnhuskies.com

"UCONN SEASON ENDS WITH 4-2 LOSS TO VERMONT

HARTFORD, Conn. – UConn got a pair of goals from freshman Karl El-Mir(Montreal, Quebec) but the University of Vermont rallied for a pair of third period goals to come away with a 4-3 win over the Huskies Saturday night at the XL Center to win the Hockey East opening round series 2-0 and advance to next week’s quarterfinal round. The Huskies see their season come to an end and finish the year with an 11-21-4 overall record.

El-Mir scored the Huskies first two goals and classmate Tage Thompson(Orange, Conn.) staked the Huskies to a 3-2 lead after two periods thanks to his NCAA leading 13th power play goal on the year. It wouldn’t be enough as the Catamounts pulled the game even on Yvan Pattyn’s first goal of the season midway through the third and won it on a Brian Bowen goal with 1:09 left in the game to advance.

For the second-straight night the Huskies struck first as El-Mir notched his first of the night at 8:42 of the first. "

my italics - did the writer go Friday night when UVM scored first?? Don't they proofread headlines?

Reaction Score
from uconnhuskies.com

"UCONN SEASON ENDS WITH 4-2 LOSS TO VERMONT

HARTFORD, Conn. – UConn got a pair of goals from freshman Karl El-Mir(Montreal, Quebec) but the University of Vermont rallied for a pair of third period goals to come away with a 4-3 win over the Huskies Saturday night at the XL Center to win the Hockey East opening round series 2-0 and advance to next week’s quarterfinal round. The Huskies see their season come to an end and finish the year with an 11-21-4 overall record.

El-Mir scored the Huskies first two goals and classmate Tage Thompson(Orange, Conn.) staked the Huskies to a 3-2 lead after two periods thanks to his NCAA leading 13th power play goal on the year. It wouldn’t be enough as the Catamounts pulled the game even on Yvan Pattyn’s first goal of the season midway through the third and won it on a Brian Bowen goal with 1:09 left in the game to advance.

For the second-straight night the Huskies struck first as El-Mir notched his first of the night at 8:42 of the first. "

my italics - did the writer go Friday night when UVM scored first?? Don't they proofread headlines?
Mike Anthony was definitely at game 1 Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom