The Guy Has A Point | The Boneyard

The Guy Has A Point

Reaction Score
Driving back from the game last night, my wife observed that rooting for UConn was like a cult. She expanded on that: rooting for women's basketball is an affirmation of a lot of good things that need being expressed in our society, and UConn, by no means alone, represents those other teams because it does get noticed sometimes, like above. It's just impossible to go to a UConn game and not appreciate all the thousands and thousands of older (like myself!) people, looking ridiculous (like myself) in UConn garb, going nuts for 18-22 year olds running around in shorts. If it's a cult it is, simply put, a spiritual experience.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Driving back from the game last night, my wife observed that rooting for UConn was like a cult. She expanded on that: rooting for women's basketball is an affirmation of a lot of good things that need being expressed in our society, and UConn, by no means alone, represents those other teams because it does get noticed sometimes, like above. It's just impossible to go to a UConn game and not appreciate all the thousands and thousands of older (like myself!) people, looking ridiculous (like myself) in UConn garb, going nuts for 18-22 year olds running around in shorts. If it's a cult it is, simply put, a spiritual experience.
Nail hit firmly on head. Thanks bags.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't usually envy anyone but, I envy you and everyone else who gets to go to UCONN home games. Oh, just to see them in person.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, more so on the men's board with ritual food and drink Rolling Rock and wings) and ritual sacrifice (annual mojo hangings) it has a very cult like feel.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe there wasn’t much fanfare in NYC, but in the small town of Uncasville, CT, there sure was. In fact a 63-year old in the middle of the ceremony suggested, “It was a bit over the top, don’t you think?” :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe there wasn’t much fanfare in NYC, but in the small town of Uncasville, CT, there sure was. In fact a 63-year old in the middle of the ceremony suggested, “It was a bit over the top, don’t you think?” :)
The Cliff Notes version of that article would read:
"I don't pay attention to woman's basketball. I probably should."

Reaction Score
"December 19, 2017, is a day that should be forever branded into the memories of every college basketball fan.

But unfortunately, most of the people who love the sport are probably clueless as to what took place earlier this week."

College basketball history was made, but where was the fanfare?
I watched a bit of Hatchell's 1000th celebration--the difference was amazing. A sold out facility to a more than half empty facility. Not much out side of the team cheering.
Should she be recognized by the WBB world equally with Geno---absolutely. History of the game will note her achievement right along with Geno.
The difference is the heights to which Uconn women are held. It's all in the Fans.

Reaction Score
Cult ok, but the old guy next to me at the nd game was ridiculous. He was crazy with his very loud insults and wishing harm especially to Mabry. I was embarrassed that someone might think I was associated with him. The only good thing was when I blocked his grab for the T-shirt thrown from the cheerleaders.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't usually envy anyone but, I envy you and everyone else who gets to go to UCONN home games. Oh, just to see them in person.

I feel the same way (obv about a different team ;)). I'm glad UConn and ND schedule DePaul regularly as it means one of those two teams is in Chicago each season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I felt like there was far more hoopla over Geno than Hatchell but that might just be a function of the accounts I have in my social media feed. The article is right, though. There ought to have been far, far more hoopla for both.

I wish ESPN would push WBB harder. I feel like a lot of the big news stories in WBB are relegated to the ESPN Women's Hoops twitter account rather than the main ESPN account, for example. At the same time, they probably don't want to be seen as "having an agenda" to promote women's sports and WBB is relatively low on the list of the most popular sports they can cover.

There's just this chicken-and-egg situation. Women's sports aren't covered because they're not popular. But they're not popular because they're not covered.

This isn't just an ESPN thing, by the way. ESPN, overall, should be lauded for their commitment to women's basketball, in my opinion. I see the same thing in the way the golf media treats the LPGA, for example.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I watched a bit of Hatchell's 1000th celebration--the difference was amazing. A sold out facility to a more than half empty facility. Not much out side of the team cheering.
Should she be recognized by the WBB world equally with Geno---absolutely. History of the game will note her achievement right along with Geno.
The difference is the heights to which Uconn women are held. It's all in the Fans.

The Hatchell game was held at a neutral site, so the opportunity to have a large student contingent was not there. Last year they were 39th in attendance at 2912/game. The program has had its struggles and had the NCAA done its job a big # of games would have been loped off of Hatchell's total. She got a pass.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Hatchell game was held at a neutral site, so the opportunity to have a large student contingent was not there. Last year they were 39th in attendance at 2912/game. The program has had its struggles and had the NCAA done its job a big # of games would have been loped off of Hatchell's total. She got a pass.
Boeheim lost 101 games to the NCAA. UNC coaches could have lost some too.

Reaction Score
Win 1,000 is nothing more than a school celebration. It is a number the coaches celebrate with their team, former players, family and the fans! It is an individual achievement and nothing more.

Reaction Score
Like North Carolinas Elite 8 win over Uconn in 1994!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I feel the same way (obv about a different team ;)). I'm glad UConn and ND schedule DePaul regularly as it means one of those two teams is in Chicago each season.
I believe UCONN will play in St. Louis next season against St. Louis U. for Collier's home game. I plan on going to that game. If a big crowd attends, it will be only to see Collier and UCONN. Women's basketball is not a big deal in St. Louis because SLU has only recently had a good team. However, they are struggling this season. Next season's game should be a clear the bench early game.

Reaction Score
All you say is valid. The difference truly is the FANs. Had this Geno 1000ths game happened at a "neutral" site. How many Uconn fans do you think would be in attendence? Would the seats be as empty as was seen for Ms Hatchel?
In her own right she should be a legend at her college. We can throw stones at her next week--right now she has earned 1000, love or not--she is in the record book, without I doubt a nathan hale symbol *. The edict came down--classes available to all are legal for athletes--(what's new?) .

Reaction Score
That's why I hope the home and home series with Maryland continues. My best chance to see them.

Reaction Score
In regard to media coverage, the NY Times always has the UCONN women's back.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I felt like there was far more hoopla over Geno than Hatchell but that might just be a function of the accounts I have in my social media feed. The article is right, though. There ought to have been far, far more hoopla for both.

I wish ESPN would push WBB harder. I feel like a lot of the big news stories in WBB are relegated to the ESPN Women's Hoops twitter account rather than the main ESPN account, for example. At the same time, they probably don't want to be seen as "having an agenda" to promote women's sports and WBB is relatively low on the list of the most popular sports they can cover.

There's just this chicken-and-egg situation. Women's sports aren't covered because they're not popular. But they're not popular because they're not covered.

This isn't just an ESPN thing, by the way. ESPN, overall, should be lauded for their commitment to women's basketball, in my opinion. I see the same thing in the way the golf media treats the LPGA, for example.

Here in NC...... it was of course more hoopla over Hatchell. The Triangle sports radio shows talked about it..... They even had her in for an interview (didnt listen). The State-wide cable nightly show talked about it..... (didnt watch)....... got alerts from the local TV stations..... (ignored them) ...... the local newspaper had an article about it... and right beside it had a little blurb about UConn's coach joining the 1,ooo win club too.

Reaction Score
In regard to media coverage, the NY Times always has the UCONN women's back.
:)

It is amazing how little coverage the NY Times--of all papers--gives to women's sports. The Times can go a week without a single story on female athletes. I don't know of a any other part of the Times that is so single-gendered in coverage. Even the Fashion section covers some men's fashions, and, of course, many of the greatest designers are men.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom