The Greatest Geno Auriemma Article #2 | The Boneyard

The Greatest Geno Auriemma Article #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CONTINUED............................
The turning point came in her sophomore year. She began to understand the game. She began to understand her coach. Instead of left out, she would become his right arm.
"It was an interesting process," she said. "When I would think something was almost perfect at practice, he'd go, 'It's not OK.' I'm like, what's your problem? He'd always say, 'I've been there. I know what it takes to win.' I believed him."
Belief is a powerful weapon. And that belief could make her a national champion and the No. 1 player in the WNBA draft.
"Now when we come into a timeout I already know the idea of what we're going to do," Montgomery said. "I'll call a play and he'll go, 'Yeah, yeah.' He'll call something, and I was already thinking it. To be on the same page with him, it makes me excited. I think he's a basketball genius."
Renee will catch herself in mid-sentence sometimes and remind you how much she loves to talk. And on this day, she was in prime form. She talked about sitting in Geno's office four days after last year's Final Four loss to Stanford, telling him how depressed she was. Geno's response? "Are you going to do something about it?"
So the team began offseason workouts early. Auriemma took the team to Camp Jewell in Colebrook. Cabins in the woods? Montgomery doesn't like the outdoors, but she was intent on making the most of the experience. The players talked about roles and leadership. They bonded even as they argued over the board game "Cranium."

CONTINUED....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278