The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The Good
The running game
The running game is back. All of the boo-birds that love to talk about how bad McCombs is or how bad the line is or how bad Foley is....well, they're going to have to wait at least a week. The running game was instantly reinstated, and it's not hard to understand why. McCombs went off with a career night, and DeLorenzo looked good too.
The defense
Whether you're a fan of the "keep 'em in front of you" style that Hughes has them play or not, there is no arguing that they did the job today. 6 offensive points from the Bulls, and they never got into the endzone. That's normally the formula for a win....normally...
Tim Boyle
I can list him in the "good" category, because I don't think he was bad. He wasn't great either, but it was his first game as a true freshman and his future looks bright. Threw behind a couple of receivers, and threw a couple of balls that should have been picked off. Also, he needs to learn that the 4 and 5 yard passes don't need to be thrown at Mach 3. Still, you can see that he'll come along and be a very good one. Whitmer may have been able to win the game today for us, but you can see the upside that Boyle presents, especially with his ability to pick up yards on the run and in the read-option.
The Bad
The special teams units
Yikes. Again. A missed field goal, a blocked field goal, and they seem to really struggle at setting up a wall for the initial blocking on a kickoff return.
The Ugly
The wide receivers / Tight Ends / Final drive time management
Dear God almighty, how many throws can you drop passes in one game? How many in the endzone?!? Although Davis is still a stud, and it's difficult to lump him into this group. But the rest of that group was horrid today. And I think the lack of sideline coaches finally showed in the last 25 seconds of the game today. I saw the replay from SNY after I got home, and it was clear that TJ was trying to communicate with either Buggs or Day at the very moment when Boyle was yelling to him if he should call a timeout or not. That debacle likely cost us a chance at a field goal. But given my previous paragraph, it's hard to tell if it would have mattered.

Tough loss to swallow today...there is hope for the future, but a tough loss to swallow...

Reaction Score
Agree with the "bads". Geez is it too much to ask that a scholarship, D1 player catch the ball BEFORE trying to run. Special teams are anything but. Stop calling them special. Punter could have been Player of Game. He was excellent. The rest....turn back your scholarship money. When are we gonna get a good KO and/or punt return. FGs? They use to be the bread and butter of bad UConn offenses, now they're worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom