The good, the bad, and the ugly | The Boneyard

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Ugly:

- Purvis and Jalen continue to be incredibly soft players. Its as though they are afraid of contact. Both players went to the line for a combined ZERO times! I am tired of this soft stuff. Every successful UConn team had the best players feast from the line b/c they attacked the rim and looked for contact. Jalen tries to use every Euro step, and tries to contort his body as much as possible to avoid body contact. They both need to learn to use their shoulders and drive to the hoop strong.

- Anytime Purvis tries to do anything with his left hand its a lost cause. Its on him for not developing a left hand going into his 5th year, or at least recognize that he has a weak left hand. He should stop trying to play cute. He really should have a simple game, he should predominantly attack the rim with his right hand, cut out his mid range shot because he gets stripped half the time when he takes a midrange shot, and shoot an occasional three.

- Brimah has no desire to rebound. I love his passion but I am amazed it doesn't translate to showing any energy on the boards. I wish he would use half the energy he exerts on his celebrations after he dunks an alley oop pass when it comes to rebounding. He is also incredibly soft, an opponent can breath on him and it will be enough to get him off balance.

The Bad:

- Kentan just disappeared. granted he only played 14 min and his teammates never looked to feed him inside, putting up zero points and only 2 boards is simply a poor performance.

- Enoch plays like a freshman. Didn't look too comfortable on the court. I know that the coaches want him to assert himself on offense but not to take a shot every time he got the ball regardless of where he was and who was guarding him. He should look to assert himself on the glass first.

- Jalen's off the ball D was terrible, his man was open on many occasions bc Jalen simply gave up playing D when his man didn't have the ball. Allowed Wagner to attack the rim and find the open man fairly easily.

The Good:

- Oooooh weeee Alterique is the real deal! Finally a guard who can make plays for himself, and others, by attacking off the dribble and being able to penetrate and not shy away from contact. Boy was built to be a UConn player! Very impressive against a quick and tough defensive team like Wagner. He will have his up an downs in his freshman year but will have many more ups! He is the guy I trust the most on the team, and it looks like KO trusts him the most as well. He played 35 min off the bench!

- Terry Larrier: The guy is just a baller. Him and Alterique are our two best players. He was our leading rebounder and scorer, and I bet you that will be a very common stat throughout the year. I do want to see Terry drive more to the rim. He will be a superstar this year and if he attacks the rim he will get to the line very often, because as a superstar he will get favorable calls just like Kemba and Bazz did.

- I owe CV an apology. Never really said anything about him but I just thought he would be a bench player this year. But he played great D, with great heart and made a 3. I am not a big fan when he drives it to the rim because he seems a little out of control on most of his drives, but at least he is not afraid of body contact! He belongs.

Overall notes:

-Keyword: Soft. The team overall was soft, and I agree with KO that AG and CV were the only guys that showed much heart and toughness. Our two best players, AG and Terry got to the line for a combined 11 times. Kentan, Brimah, Purvis, and Adams got to the line for a combined ONE (YES ONE) time! That shows you how soft many of our "key" players were. Its sickening to put soft and UConn in the same sentence, not what this program is... smh.

- Even with this terrible outcome tonight, our future looks bright. Our best players are underclassmen, and Alterique looks ready to lead already. KO warned we are very talented but very very young. We will get better as the season progresses and we will rely a lot more on our young guys and much earlier on than we anticipated, but thats not a bad thing. We will be good come March, but we will not have that dominant regular season that we all have been craving for the past few years.

- Also give credit were credit is due, Wagner was a very tough team. They earned that win. Dove for every loose ball, rebounded way above their size, made tough shots at the end of shot clocks, didn't waiver when UConn made their run and hung on to win at Gampel! Very impressive. Lets hope they have a fantastic season so this loss doesn't look as bad as it does right now, and I am confident they will.

Reaction Score
Great read by Nick Greene from the tos, regarding effective lineups but the quote that stuck out most was Jalen Adams had to say:

“I think tonight we just couldn’t hit any shots—missing easy layups that we should make and we weren’t getting to the free-throw line. If anything I think we should’ve drove to the basketball a lot more, a lot harder and gotten free throws.

As I stated in my op Jalen and Purvis need to drive hard to the rim and live off the free throw line. In the game against Wagner those two got to the line a combined ZERO times! Unacceptable. Very glad to see Jalen recognizes that. I am sure that KO has emphasized this a lot already, I just hope the players can be tough enough to follow through.

No surprise that our two best players from the Wagner game, AG and Larrier, were the guys who shot the most free throws. They were hungry and aggressive on offensive and were not shy from contact. Hopefully we see a lot less Euro steps from Jalen and a lot less 3's from Purvis and more strong drives to the rim from both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom