The Gonzaga question | The Boneyard

The Gonzaga question

Do you want Gonzaga in the league?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We've been having these arguments on various threads regarding Gonzaga so we might as well get an official head-count on it:

If Gonzaga ultimately decides they would like to join the Big East, do you want them and if so, should we keep the 20-game schedule or go to a 22-game double round robin? Poll above.

Reaction Score
I've gone back and forth with this. I think they are a good add. Besides a handful of schools you are who your coach is. So I'm not too scared about what happens after Few leaves. But the more the Big East waits the less attractive they are.

Reaction Score
We've been having these arguments on various threads regarding Gonzaga so we might as well get an official head-count on it:

If Gonzaga ultimately decides they would like to join the Big East, do you want them and if so, should we keep the 20-game schedule or go to a 22-game double round robin? Poll above.
Pretty presumptuous weighing in on Gonzaga to the BE. The NYPost preseason poll has them in the top 5. The BE has two in the top 25. Creighton and Villanova are ranked in the bottom of the their top 25. We are nowhere to be found.

Maybe before we masquerade as a "Master of Universe", Hurley et al can show us and the the rest of the bb world that we belong in any discussion of the elite. Right now we have taken a huge position on Hurley and parked our asses in the BE to the detriment of some of our other noteworthy sports.

Reaction Score
Pretty presumptuous weighing in on Gonzaga to the BE. The NYPost preseason poll has them in the top 5. The BE has two in the top 25. Creighton and Villanova are ranked in the bottom of the their top 25. We are nowhere to be found.

Maybe before we masquerade as a "Master of Universe", Hurley et al can show us and the the rest of the bb world that we belong in any discussion of the elite. Right now we have taken a huge position on Hurley and parked our asses in the BE to the detriment of some of our other noteworthy sports.
Creighton is top 10, Nova is nowhere near the bottom of the top 25. Not even going to weigh in on the rest of your post.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Their fan base is legit and travels well. I think Creighton is a pretty good comp of what they’ll be post few. Creighton adds a lot to the league.

That said I like the double round robin and for that reason, I’m out.

Reaction Score
I don't want them but won't be that upset if it happens. Travel for non-basketball sports would be very silly and wasteful but if the money makes enough sense I guess you might do it.

Reaction Score
No, they’ll be WSU once Few leaves/retires.
WSU has 3 Sweet 16s in the 37 years of 64+ team tournament.

Gonzaga has been to 7 straight Sweet 16s and has 5 others aside from that.

Their program is essentially where UConn's was in the mid 2000's (consistent year after year success, Hall of Fame coach, recruiting a 5* or 2 per cycle), except their best teams didn't win the ship and just made the title game, and they're in a lower conference. It is not going to collapse so easily, especially if they move to the Big East or power conference.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
WSU has 3 Sweet 16s in the 37 years of 64+ team tournament.

Gonzaga has been to 7 straight Sweet 16s and has 5 others aside from that.

Their program is essentially where UConn's was in the mid 2000's (consistent year after year success, Hall of Fame coach, recruiting a 5* or 2 per cycle), except their best teams didn't win the ship and just made the title game, and they're in a lower conference. It is not going to collapse so easily, especially if they move to the Big East or power conference.
I think it’ll be way harder to replicate their success than ours. Especially playing in a conference across the country, with lesser brand recognition, and smaller fan/alumni base.

I’d much rather create a scheduling agreement with them as long as they’re still great.

Reaction Score
Creighton is top 10, Nova is nowhere near the bottom of the top 25. Not even going to weigh in on the rest of your post.
Did you read the Post? They actually cover the BE pretty well. Villanova is rated 20, Creighton is higher so I'll grant you that. But, where is UConn?

So don't "weigh" in on my post. I could care less if you do. But maybe you can explain where the hell we are?

Facts are a stubborn commodity. We've put all our eggs in the BE basket? How are we doing?

Simply put, when is the $3mm man going to have his feet put to the fire? It's year 5, can we at least agree that it's about time he gets us to the Sweet 16?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Their fan base is legit and travels well. I think Creighton is a pretty good comp
Not Helping Joshua Jackson GIF by HULU

Reaction Score
U

Uh oh! Now you’ve done it. Don’t be surprised to find a horse head in your bed tonight.

Reaction Score
Did you read the Post? They actually cover the BE pretty well. Villanova is rated 20, Creighton is higher so I'll grant you that. But, where is UConn?

So don't "weigh" in on my post. I could care less if you do. But maybe you can explain where the hell we are?

Facts are a stubborn commodity. We've put all our eggs in the BE basket? How are we doing?

Simply put, when is the $3mm man going to have his feet put to the fire? It's year 5, can we at least agree that it's about time he gets us to the Sweet 16?

There are 350 odd other fanbases in this country you could have chosen to be a part of.

Reaction Score

Why should we care where some random guy who writes for a washed up newspaper ranks teams? This take is going to age the same way your repeated Mike Cavanaugh takes on the hockey board for years aged, like warm milk

Reaction Score

What an entitled Richard. Argument; because we‘ve been there we should always be there. Year 5 from what richard? Do you know how many teams have never won a NC or have been to a f4? We may never be there again no matter how much we pay a coach. Entitled ass.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
U

Uh oh! Now you’ve done it. Don’t be surprised to find a horse head in your bed tonight.
I'm trembling... Sadly we seem to be so bb centric that other, less regal sports suffer. I have been a bb fan since the days of Fred Shabel coaching Toby Kimball and Wes Bialosuknia and listening to George Ehrlich call the games on WTIC radio.
So I have a history going back almost 60 years.

Like everyone, I realize the incredible accomplishments of Calhoun and Geno in the last 35 years. We became bb royalty in the men's and women's game. But, we are trying to get it back in a second tier conference, IMO. Add to that sub par performance by our men's team of late and we are scrambling for relevance.

Geno remains a walking talking legend. But with Hurley I wonder if he's the guy. This is not an unreasonable question. Five years is easily enough time to figure it out.

Someone that you pay $3mm and for whom you switched to a bb centric (only?) conference, should produce like yesterday! End of story...

Reaction Score
What an entitled Richard. Argument; because we‘ve been there we should always be there. Year 5 from what richard? Do you know how many teams have never won a NC or have been to a f4? We may never be there again no matter how much we pay a coach. Entitled ass.

Some free advice - quit looking at your sigmoid colon...

Reaction Score
Did I miss where we turned down the B1G or Acc invite? It was BE or stay in the Aac.

We r doing much better than being in what’s left of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Sea goat I dont go as far back as you, but pretty far. To me Hurley seems like a pretty good coach. Not a great one. In some ways that is a problem for getting back to major relevance. I can see him winning 20 plus games most years, getting bids and getting to the odd Sweet 16 from time to time, in other words a perfect New Big East coach. Not bad but not great either. And very hard to get rid of. That’s why I compare him with the ex-NC State coach. Sendeck was a solid coach. Lasted 10 years. Never got passed the Sweet 16. That I fear is Hurley.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the biggest win in Hurley’s tenure he watched more than half the game from the locker room.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom