The GAME ....Showdown in Waco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn @ Baylor

Showdown in Waco Texas

With so many fans yearning for The Game to return to WCBB the two dominate teams in WCBB will meet next Sunday and it will happen. The Number 1 team in WCBB Baylor will face the legendary UConn Huskies who's defense dismantles opponets and takes them completely out of their game. The question remains will Griner and Baylor be able to overcome UConns defensive pressure?

I am looking forward to the matchup up of the two big centers. Stef at 6'5 and Griner at 6'8 both great scorers but in this game Stef dosnt have to be, Griner does. In this game Stefs presence means more then her scoring. Stef ability to pass, set picks, shoot from the outside and just be around the basket is enough. Just having Stef underneath at 6'5 will make Baylor think twice about coming down the middle. UConn needs to keep Griner away from the basket but also Baylor needs to keep Stef away from the basket.

Over the past UConn has played some pretty athletic teams, some pretty talented teams and some pretty tuff teams. I have always found great defenses will stop great offenses but with Griner at 6'8 and such an intimadating shot blocker can she keep her team in the game. This is the one factor UConn will have to overcome, not being intimadated by Griners presence.

It wont be Griner breaking the press. It wont be Griner handleing the ball and making the passes to break the press. All this plays into UConns hands if you dont have a good point guard. Baylor does have a very good point guard in Simms. UConn will have to press and keep the ball out of Simms hands. Uconn will have to shaddow Simms and know where she is every minute. IMO she is the key. That means everybody else on Baylor will have to show patience and disipline. Depending on how much time is left on the clock after breaking UConns pressure Baylor will be able to run their offense.

The challange for UConn is not to rush shots underneath and around the basket because Griner is there. Griner has to avoid foul trouble. Dribble drives to the basket can not be missed because Griner is in the area. Underneath UConn must play strong and tuff and most importantly finish.

I really like UConns chances alot in this game. UConn has the ariel attack and the height to force Baylor to play perimiter defense. ND gave Baylor a pretty good game however ND does not have the height UConn has in the post. Stef was taught a very nice lesson against SHU last night...foul trouble gets you a seat on the bench. That couldve been an early Christmas present. Againest Griner if Stef gets beat she has to back off. It is more important for Stef to stay out of foul trouble then to score. Her presence in the middle makes a huge difference. I expect to see Heather and Kiah playing along side of Stef and I expect if UConn gets a big lead to see Geno sit Stef towards the end of the first half to keep her out of foul trouble. I also expect to see alot of high low with Stef up top knocking down 12-15 footers which will bring Griner out and open up the middle.

I think UConns disipline, physical conditioning and ability to execute what Geno has taught them will be the difference. UConn must stay out of foul trouble early in this one.

sTu

Reaction Score
UConn @ Baylor

Stef was taught a very nice lesson against SHU last night...foul trouble gets you a seat on the bench.

Well that was true in the first half. I thought what got Stef a permanent seat on the bench was coming out and not cutting off the baseline on the drive under the basket which put her position to foul

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I wonder, Tony, whether we should give up help defense sometimes to be certain we never leave Sims alone.

Reaction Score
Well, UConn could win, sure, and their defense is wonderful. But it is Baylor, in Waco, and Griner is really tough. Let's see if Stef, who is many things, but sorry, not a great scorer, can handle any part of Griner. Let's see if UConn's driving guards can get in near the basket on drives and get past her long arms. Given the fact that we are told that Stef is attempting five shots a game, I don't see why Griner has to worry about keeping her away from anything. Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge Stef fan. I just don't think she's advanced her game much from the end of last year.

UConn has to do several things absolutely right in the next game, and what's discouraging is the Seton Hall performance, which did nothing to advance the idea that the team is constantly improving. They need to stifle Odyssey Sims and play their swarming defense on everyone else. It's a tall order, especially right after exams, so I am not very hopeful. But there is a chance, and if they do manage it, they could be positioned for quite a season.

UConn @ Baylor

Showdown in Waco Texas

With so many fans yearning for The Game to return to WCBB the two dominate teams in WCBB will meet next Sunday and it will happen. The Number 1 team in WCBB Baylor will face the legendary UConn Huskies who's defense dismantles opponets and takes them completely out of their game. The question remains will Griner and Baylor be able to overcome UConns defensive pressure?

I am looking forward to the matchup up of the two big centers. Stef at 6'5 and Griner at 6'8 both great scorers but in this game Stef dosnt have to be, Griner does. In this game Stefs presence means more then her scoring. Stef ability to pass, set picks, shoot from the outside and just be around the basket is enough. Just having Stef underneath at 6'5 will make Baylor think twice about coming down the middle. UConn needs to keep Griner away from the basket but also Baylor needs to keep Stef away from the basket.

Over the past UConn has played some pretty athletic teams, some pretty talented teams and some pretty tuff teams. I have always found great defenses will stop great offenses but with Griner at 6'8 and such an intimadating shot blocker can she keep her team in the game. This is the one factor UConn will have to overcome, not being intimadated by Griners presence.

It wont be Griner breaking the press. It wont be Griner handleing the ball and making the passes to break the press. All this plays into UConns hands if you dont have a good point guard. Baylor does have a very good point guard in Simms. UConn will have to press and keep the ball out of Simms hands. Uconn will have to shaddow Simms and know where she is every minute. IMO she is the key. That means everybody else on Baylor will have to show patience and disipline. Depending on how much time is left on the clock after breaking UConns pressure Baylor will be able to run their offense.

The challange for UConn is not to rush shots underneath and around the basket because Griner is there. Griner has to avoid foul trouble. Dribble drives to the basket can not be missed because Griner is in the area. Underneath UConn must play strong and tuff and most importantly finish.

I really like UConns chances alot in this game. UConn has the ariel attack and the height to force Baylor to play perimiter defense. ND gave Baylor a pretty good game however ND does not have the height UConn has in the post. Stef was taught a very nice lesson against SHU last night...foul trouble gets you a seat on the bench. That couldve been an early Christmas present. Againest Griner if Stef gets beat she has to back off. It is more important for Stef to stay out of foul trouble then to score. Her presence in the middle makes a huge difference. I expect to see Heather and Kiah playing along side of Stef and I expect if UConn gets a big lead to see Geno sit Stef towards the end of the first half to keep her out of foul trouble. I also expect to see alot of high low with Stef up top knocking down 12-15 footers which will bring Griner out and open up the middle.

I think UConns disipline, physical conditioning and ability to execute what Geno has taught them will be the difference. UConn must stay out of foul trouble early in this one.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well, UConn could win, sure, and their defense is wonderful. But it is Baylor, in Waco, and Griner is really tough. Let's see if Stef, who is many things, but sorry, not a great scorer, can handle any part of Griner. Let's see if UConn's driving guards can get in near the basket on drives and get past her long arms. Given the fact that we are told that Stef is attempting five shots a game, I don't see why Griner has to worry about keeping her away from anything. Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge Stef fan. I just don't think she's advanced her game much from the end of last year.

UConn has to do several things absolutely right in the next game, and what's discouraging is the Seton Hall performance, which did nothing to advance the idea that the team is constantly improving. They need to stifle Odyssey Sims and play their swarming defense on everyone else. It's a tall order, especially right after exams, so I am not very hopeful. But there is a chance, and if they do manage it, they could be positioned for quite a season.

Well Tom if Griner was 6'4 UConn IMO would beat Baylor like they beat everybody else. But they do have Griner and at 6'8 and if she score 22 pts and has 12 rebounds that means everybody else has got to score. Stef hasnt scored alot of points in any game this season. Infact most of UConns scoring has been pretty balanced, but Stefs importance down low is as an intimadator a shot blocker. Just Stefs presence underneath is big enough to make Baylor alter shots. If Stef was 6'0 Baylor would feast underneath. Stef can score when its needed and she has a very good 15ft shot which will draw Griner out to guard her. Hey Griner isnt going to just stand underneath, if she does somebody will be left open.

As far as UConns players driving to the basket watch the ND and TN games and even last weeks game. Opponets score inside on Baylor. UConn will too.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I agree - the outcome in this game will be decided by the play of Sims, not by Griner

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
what's discouraging is the Seton Hall performance, which did nothing to advance the idea that the team is constantly improving.

9 minutes of lousy play is more important than the other 351 minutes?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Also, Baylor looked awful against Wisconsin-Milwaukee. AWFUL. If they play like that against us, we'll beat them by 30. Even as badly as we played against Seton Hall, we haven't played a game as poorly as Baylor played vs. UWM in years.

Reaction Score
UConn @ Baylor

Showdown in Waco Texas

Nice post Tony. Like everybody else, I have an opinion how this game has to play out for UConn to win.
  • The UConn press has got to be very effective to limit Baylors offense time. This will be tough with Simms at point and Griner at mid court.
  • Make Griner uncomfortable in the post. I'm not sure if Stef's game is developed enough to do that without fouling. Look for Buck to reprise her role from last year.
  • UConn's 3 point shots have got to fall. We have the shooters, just need the BB gods to be with them.
  • KML has the opportunity to again shine on national TV. She will!
  • Geno will have to put together a great game plan and adjust as necessary. No doubt he will do it.
UConn wins in the final minutes of a tough back and forth game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont think Baylors defense can make us look bad. I think our defense can make Baylor look bad . I think our intensity, our poise, our disipline and our ability to execute will allow us to win the game. IMO to many fans are looking at individual players and their offense. Its not about offense its about defense, because good defense gets into your head and when you opponent gets in your head your gonna lose more time then you win . The reason UConn has set all these winning records isnt because of their offense its because their defense. The pollster who picked UConn to lose a bunch of games this season I think it was something like 6 must have been looking at offense. Our defense last season scored approx 30% of our points. Thats alot.

Reaction Score
Nice post Tony. Like everybody else, I have an opinion how this game has to play out for UConn to win.
  • The UConn press has got to be very effective to limit Baylors offense time. This will be tough with Simms at point and Griner at mid court.
  • Make Griner uncomfortable in the post. I'm not sure if Stef's game is developed enough to do that without fouling. Look for Buck to reprise her role from last year.
  • UConn's 3 point shots have got to fall. We have the shooters, just need the BB gods to be with them.
  • KML has the opportunity to again shine on national TV. She will!
  • Geno will have to put together a great game plan and adjust as necessary. No doubt he will do it.
UConn wins in the final minutes of a tough back and forth game.

a few more ...

* Tiff has to find a way to have a productive game. Last year, Griner's control of the lane completely took away Tiff's dribble drive to the net, and her response was to make out of control drives and crazy shots.
* Stef needs to hit the 12-footer, to pull BG away from the basket.
* Team has to shake off Seton Hall game, exams, and condensed practices. For those 2 reasons, it wouldn't be surprising if the team were more out of rhythm than normal.

Reaction Score
I wonder, Tony, whether we should give up help defense sometimes to be certain we never leave Sims alone.

IMO, this is an excellent and important point.

It is extremely important that UConn identify the shooters and stick with them like glue.

Any double team of BG should come from whoever is playing the 4 spot.

We should press full-court on defense. And absolutely stay away from using a zone defense.

Oh, did I forget to mention that we should fast break whenever we can?

One more thing. BG is both faster and quicker than SD. We will have to guard against BG leading Baylor's fast break.

Peace,

John Fryer

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
How about some triangle and two? We can't let Sims and Griner beat us, and I don't trust their other players to consistently sink wide open shots. Full court pressure would be nice, but as someone has noted, Sims is an excellent ball handler.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Simms is who makes Baylor who they are. PG is the most vaulable position on the team. If we pressure the guards and Simms I think UConn will get alot of steals. We need to force everybody else to make the plays and passes and not Simms. If we do that we create alot of turnovers.

I also think if Griner starts to go off you see Heather and Kiah guard her with Stef playing behind them. There are alot of combos we can use and alot of things that we have to do and alot of things we cant let happen. Bottom line is we cant do them all. Stick to Simms like glue. Slow down Simms and make her have a poor game, keep Griner away from the basket. Use Stef up top and just play our game. We are a really really really good team and its because we have a devastating defense, and a bunch of guards who know how to play together and share the ball.

By keeping the ball out of Simms hands and dening her open looks, that will force everybody else to pass the ball and make plays and I dont think they are very good at that. You cant prepare for UConns defensive pressure. Griner will get her points. You read Simms remarks about everybody else on the team not contributing. Well that has alot to do with Griner and Simms making all the plays while everybody else watching and defers to them. UConn dosnt do that. Unless we get in big time foul trouble or play terrible we should win this game.

Reaction Score
How about some triangle and two? We can't let Sims and Griner beat us, and I don't trust their other players to consistently sink wide open shots. Full court pressure would be nice, but as someone has noted, Sims is an excellent ball handler.

One disadvantage UConn has compared to some other Baylor opponents is its lack of experience playing a zone. Geno doesn't like it, and they havent practiced it much.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno will change that much of our defense for Baylor. He doesn't typically do that, does he? Usually he sticks with what got his team there. Obviously there might be some more doubles, like in the Stanford game, but I don't see him changing his entire scheme for one game.

Reaction Score
Heather could be a factor in this game. First defensively, but second, she can run the court and will push BG to expend energy. Remember the sideline sound bite just before the half were BG wanted out and was told to stay in ?

The key to the game may be to wear BG down with Heather and even Kiah. Push the ball. UCONN conditioning will be a key factor in this game.

Reaction Score
Agree with much of what is said here. Pressure is key, but I think half-court traps, especially when Sims gives up the ball, are more important than full-court press.

Reaction Score
IMO, Heather is the secret offensive weapon for UCONN. Her ability to run the floor will give her easy buckets to her or her teammates......BG will need to run more this Sunday than any game this year......In order for Baylor to break the press, BG will have to come away from the basket to half court to help them get the ball across the mid court......Every sec away for their offense is music to Geno's ears. Run, run, run........I remember a NC game a few years ago after Doty got hurt and they were a very big and athletic team that UCONN ran out of Carmichael Gym......My guess, Geno will try to have the same outcome.......UCONN is quick and long.........

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor is an extremely slow and poorly conditioned team. I don't see how they will be able to keep up with UCONN if it is a track meet.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Baylor is an extremely slow and poorly conditioned team. I don't see how they will be able to keep up with UCONN if it is a track meet.
We have enough sarcasm on this board. We don't need visitors bringing additional sarcasm!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn @ Baylor

I am curious as to when 9.8 points a game qualified as be a "great scorer." Dolson, Buck and Stokes combined average about 6 points fewer a game than BG does.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In looking at Buck's stats, she looks pretty solid herself. She has the highest shooting percentage on the UCONN roster and is averaging almost as many rebounds a game as Dolson, in a lot fewer minutes. Buck played BG well last year and she may get more work than most people anticipate. Fatigue could be a factor for Dolson since she is averaging only 20 minutes a game and is going to really have to be physical in this game. Buck may be the X factor.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
One thing that Baylor certainly cannot have is 4 other players take more shots than BG did like happened in the SJ's game. And we certainly cannot have Madden, the 6th leading scorer on the team, taking 17 shots like she did against SJ, going 1-9 from three point range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom