Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
10612556_10152657613449280_4108437124339487068_n.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree. She's won everything, and more than once. I was talking to Ken tonight and we thought Dee and Sue would make a terrific Geno and CD tandem in coaching. I mean why not? She's shown she's the best at everything she's attempted so far...

Reaction Score
I agree. She's won everything, and more than once. I was talking to Ken tonight and we thought Dee and Sue would make a terrific Geno and CD tandem in coaching. I mean why not? She's shown she's the best at everything she's attempted so far...

When I read that DT was interested in coaching in the future I immediately thought of UConn but then I remember many instances where great players do not make great coaches and managers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
When I read that DT was interested in coaching in the future I immediately thought of UConn but then I remember many instances where great players do not make great coaches and managers.
And yet Kevin Ollie and Dawn Staley have done ok... There are many instances where former players make great coaches. Pat Summitt is another example, to go with an even more iconic Olympian.

Point is, being a great player has zero to do with being a great coach, but when you look at the way both Sue and Dee LEAD their teams and teach the newbies, it's clear to me they'd have an above average chance to be successful at it if it was something they wanted...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a question - I know DT recently said she was interested in coaching after her playing career ends. Has Sue ever indicated a future preference?

And Eric - agree both DT and Sue do a great job leading there teams and teaching the newbies, but think that is a very different skill as a player vs. being a coach. Not saying both would not be great coaches, but it is just different.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have no doubts that DT would not only make a great coach, she would make a great UConn coach. She would be Geno come again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue says that Storrs is too small a town for her. So we need some more real estate development. And a high-speed train to Manhattan. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have no doubts that DT would not only make a great coach, she would make a great UConn coach. She would be Geno come again.
She has the potential to be a great coach, but the over-all odds are against her. Few of the truly great players (across all sports) have gone on to be great coaches; I read somewhere (a long time ago) that part of it is the fact that they struggle with players that can't do what was easy for them on the field / court / diamond.

In Diana's case, while I love how much fire she shows, the techs . . . Coaches, by definition, have to tone it down a bit and be a bit less impetuous than she is as a player. That said, of course, she "can" do it if she wants to.

I always wanted to say "we have DT and you don't" - and now I can as a Phoenix Mercury fan!!!!!

Reaction Score
She has the potential to be a great coach, but the over-all odds are against her. Few of the truly great players (across all sports) have gone on to be great coaches; I read somewhere (a long time ago) that part of it is the fact that they struggle with players that can't do what was easy for them on the field / court / diamond.

In Diana's case, while I love how much fire she shows, the techs . . . Coaches, by definition, have to tone it down a bit and be a bit less impetuous than she is as a player. That said, of course, she "can" do it if she wants to.

I always wanted to say "we have DT and you don't" - and now I can as a Phoenix Mercury fan!!!!!
Jim Calhoun might have something to say about that.:)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
DT has been asst coaching since she was a freshman, and probably before. She functions as a coach on the floor, encouraging her teammats to exceed themselves and setting strategies. I have never seen her address a hard word or look to a teammate. She knows exactly what works, and what wont. I have never seen a negative comment on her from a teammate. And she has that UConn swagger, and a very Geno-like attitude. There can't be many girl athletes who would not be thrilled to play for Coach Taurasi.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
that last shot of Diana's was just amazing......and I knew it was going in....

G

genosguy

And yet Kevin Ollie and Dawn Staley have done ok... There are many instances where former players make great coaches. Pat Summitt is another example, to go with an even more iconic Olympian.

Point is, being a great player has zero to do with being a great coach, but when you look at the way both Sue and Dee LEAD their teams and teach the newbies, it's clear to me they'd have an above average chance to be successful at it if it was something they wanted...
Did anyone see Geno as a player in High School or in College?? His passion for the game, came from within, he wasn't so this is how I played this is what I'll teach. He studied the game, the opponent coaches, player, refs--studied the greats (Wooden among them, my favorite Bill Russell (a player)). Students with passion become professors with knowledge and passion--in any subject. My finest College professor wasn't the most brilliant--he just loved what he did--and it got passed on.

G

genosguy

Did anyone see Geno as a player in High School or in College?? His passion for the game, came from within, he wasn't so this is how I played this is what I'll teach. He studied the game, the opponent coaches, player, refs--studied the greats (Wooden among them, my favorite Bill Russell (a player)). Students with passion become professors with knowledge and passion--in any subject. My finest College professor wasn't the most brilliant--he just loved what he did--and it got passed on.
I should have said: Geno with his passion for Basketball became a master of what makes young women (and probably most people) tick, what drive me and not you, do I need the stick and you the carrot, doe he beg you and demand me--that's Geno at his finest.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
that last shot of Diana's was just amazing.and I knew it was going in....
She took the exact same shot earlier in the game and made that, too.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I should have said: Geno with his passion for Basketball became a master of what makes young women (and probably most people) tick, what drive me and not you, do I need the stick and you the carrot, doe he beg you and demand me--that's Geno at his finest.

honestly...I canna see Geno begging anyone to do anything related to basketball, particularly a basketball player. That's just not his style.

I am sure that he uses different approaches for different personalities... but beg? Nope

G

genosguy

Jim Calhoun might have something to say about that.:)
What Calhoun did with players wasn't thought highly of--his old [mod edit] approach won't fly with parents, administration, or players. Some worship him, some not so much. I'm not much of a Calhoun fan--the only UConn Men's Coach in 50 year I didn't care much for---unlike Geno he had a one style fits all for his players.

G

genosguy

honestly...I canna see Geno begging anyone to do anything related to basketball, particularly a basketball player. That's just not his style.

I am sure that he uses different approaches for different personalities... but beg? Nope
All depends upon how well you know Geno, don't nail any STYLE on him, Sweats, shirt an tie, no tie, casual, formal, loud mouth, humble, sarcastic, caring, ---I guess that's his style --no style, what works. But with his players ---look at the contrast between DT and Stewie---what motivated DT , is somewhat different than what motivates Stewie.

JS

Reaction Score
Few of the truly great players (across all sports) have gone on to be great coaches; I read somewhere (a long time ago) that part of it is the fact that they struggle with players that can't do what was easy for them on the field / court / diamond.
Cousy.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

All depends upon how well you know Geno, don't nail any STYLE on him, Sweats, shirt an tie, no tie, casual, formal, loud mouth, humble, sarcastic, caring, ---I guess that's his style --no style, what works. But with his players ---look at the contrast between DT and Stewie---what motivated DT , is somewhat different than what motivates Stewie.

I did not "nail any style on" Geno. I said, Geno would not beg a player to do what he wants them to do. That is not how he does things, although instead of saying 'how he does things', I said 'style'

And after that, I said that he uses different approaches for different personalities, so in that respect, if you read my post again carefully, you will see that we are on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom