The Freshman Wall | The Boneyard

The Freshman Wall

Jim

Reaction Score
Over a number of seasons we have seen examples where highly rated recruits start the season like gangbusters only to struggle mid-season. I'd like to start a discussion about why folks think this happens and what, if anything, people think can be done about it.

I have two things which I suspect are big contributors. First, the college season is longer and more physically taxing than the high school season. Top players now have their own personal trainers in HS, but I suspect a large part is mental and needed to learn how to push through when the body is telling the player to quit.

The second, which I think is an equally big factor, is the scouting level/game film analysis done at the college level. We have see instances, like Christyn's game against Notre Dame or Chrystal's game against Baylor, where the freshman comes off the bench and seems unstoppable. In this case I suspect that opponents simply don't have sufficient game film against college level defenses to know enough of a player's moves and tendencies to stop them. But as the season progresses, more film is available and when defenses know what is coming the productivity of the player seems to decline. Until the player learns how to counter the defensive counters, the freshmen struggles. I was reminded of this second aspect in the Geno-Dee instagram chat. Diana admitted that she likes to go left, but with typical DT swagger she says they still have to stop me.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what others think contributes to the "Freshman Wall" and whether that will affect any of the UConn incoming recruits.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another factor I think is that Geno and the coaching staff likely ramp up the expectation level in games and practice after he sees early success and that leads to doubts that affect their game in the short term until they figure out how to fight through.

On the other hand, Anna did not really have that issue taking all her lumps early. In addition, Geno really needed her confidence high since he needed her minutes with the lack of depth we had so I am guessing he was a bit less critical. Also Anna was not a real freshman with some international experience so she could deal with it better than most.

With the depth we should have in the next couple of years, Geno will probably not need the freshman early (even Paige) and he can let them get immersed a little more slowly (more like what he has done with Aubrey)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what Paige is going to do when she comes up to the freshman wall - maybe a little hesitant at first but then with some encouragement right over the top.

Reaction Score
No such thing as a freshmen wall. The entire freshmen year is a process. We can make up things all season long. Players plague, freshmen curve, high school rebound, recruit recession blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Over a number of seasons we have seen examples where highly rated recruits start the season like gangbusters only to struggle mid-season. I'd like to start a discussion about why folks think this happens and what, if anything, people think can be done about it.

I have two things which I suspect are big contributors. First, the college season is longer and more physically taxing than the high school season. Top players now have their own personal trainers in HS, but I suspect a large part is mental and needed to learn how to push through when the body is telling the player to quit.

The second, which I think is an equally big factor, is the scouting level/game film analysis done at the college level. We have see instances, like Christyn's game against Notre Dame or Chrystal's game against Baylor, where the freshman comes off the bench and seems unstoppable. In this case I suspect that opponents simply don't have sufficient game film against college level defenses to know enough of a player's moves and tendencies to stop them. But as the season progresses, more film is available and when defenses know what is coming the productivity of the player seems to decline. Until the player learns how to counter the defensive counters, the freshmen struggles. I was reminded of this second aspect in the Geno-Dee instagram chat. Diana admitted that she likes to go left, but with typical DT swagger she says they still have to stop me.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what others think contributes to the "Freshman Wall" and whether that will affect any of the UConn incoming recruits.
Jim, the first thing we should remember is that they are freshmen. This is their first time away from home and possibly the first time they have had the responsibility for their own lives. Cleaning, possibly cooking, shopping, their own hygiene (I believe it is usually Mom who makes things like hair appointments) and, most importantly, their own schedule for studying. All this in addition to practice, a much larger number of games, more travel, and any other incidentals either personal or team involved. By their Sophomore year most of them have learned (sometimes the hard way) to adapt and evolve. I think that anytime we are faced with an upheaval of this nature there is a period of adjustment whether child or adult.

Reaction Score
Player's have the occasional great game all the time, including freshmen. Sometimes all the stars align, everything is easy and so fun. You think "Hey, I got it now. I'm unstoppable." Next game, you're wondering where that woman of steel went. My experience is that out of 100 games in 5 everything goes right, in 5 everything goes wrong, the rest are the real you.

A real wall is having numbers and effectiveness drop as the season goes on. Could be better scouting, lack of conditioning, better competition, confidence erosion or a combination of factors. Even very good players go through their slumps. Most work their way through it and find ways to be useful. As has been said many times, there is no reason to have a defensive slump. There are a few that never find their way out if the wilderness, which is very sad.

Reaction Score
There are also many examples of freshmen who play better in January, February, and March than they did in November and December. Like the original post, I have no stats, but I think there are likely more who get better as the year goes by.

Reaction Score
If most players don't improve over time the coach needs to have a long chat with themself. It's kind of the whole point of coaching.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Teenage girls. I fathered four of them. To quote Churchill, "...a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma."
How true. I had 3 teen boys. On the day the youngest turned 13, I told him I’d had a nightmare that I had 3 teen sons. He was puzzled and said”Dad, you do have 3 teen aged sons.” To which I replied , “ I know and the only worse nightmare is 3 teenaged daughters”.

One of my sons will miss by 6 months of having 3 teen aged daughters. They are all quite athletic.But I haven’t noticed any of them hitting the wall yet, at least not the 5 year old. Good luck to you and I hope we have a season to see what walls there are.
I

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Jim, the first thing we should remember is that they are freshmen. This is their first time away from home and possibly the first time they have had the responsibility for their own lives. Cleaning, possibly cooking, shopping, their own hygiene (I believe it is usually Mom who makes things like hair appointments) and, most importantly, their own schedule for studying. All this in addition to practice, a much larger number of games, more travel, and any other incidentals either personal or team involved. By their Sophomore year most of them have learned (sometimes the hard way) to adapt and evolve. I think that anytime we are faced with an upheaval of this nature there is a period of adjustment whether child or adult.

Don’t forget the fact that everyone they play with and against that year is older and more experienced than that are. In the case of a 5th year senior, they can be 4 years younger, as 5th year seniors are 22.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom