The First Quarter of the WNBA Season | The Boneyard

The First Quarter of the WNBA Season

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Most teams have played 8 or 9 games at this point, so we're at the end of the first quarter of the season...

Sun observations:
1) Great start. 7-1 and undefeated at home. This is what coach Miller hoped for because the schedule just keeps getting harder until near the end.
2) Great stats. The Sun lead the league in Points Per Game, Rebounds Per Game, Assists Per Game, Field Goal Percentage and 3 Point Percentage. 6 players average double figures. No one is in the top 10 points leaders BUT the Sun have two of the 10 top Assist leaders (Thomas') and 2 of the top 10 Rebounders (AT and Chiney). The Sun have by far the highest "Net Rating" in the league (the difference between points scored per 100 possession versus points allowed per 100 possessions). The Sun also top the league in both Offensive and Defensive Rebounding Percentage (the percent of available O or D rebounds that they actually get). Assist to Turnover Ratio is the 2nd best (by 1/100th) to the Merc.
3) The "big line up". AT, JJ, CO, JT and CW starting to look more and more like THE line-up as they get used to new roles. Strick comes off the bench... (for the older folks - remember Vinny "The Microwave"?). Remember that Strick won the starting job when Morgan (the Sun's leading scorer at the time) went out with an injury. We're still looking for THAT Morgan.
4) Going to the Arena with the expectation that your team can (and will) compete with, and even beat, any team that they face, is what make the season tickets worth the price. Love it!

The Other 11:
1) Phoenix is on a mission and looking very tough.
2) Seattle (lead by "that girl") looking like a team that wants to take the next step.
3) LA is probably the team to beat because the defending champion...
4) Lynx have yet to look like last years Juggernaut. I'll be surprised if this slump continues, but we all know father time is undefeated.
5) Atlanta is just what everyone predicted, vastly improved with Angel and All-Star Tif and getting better every week. A very dangerous team before it's over.
6) Dallas is another team that was good last year and should get much better. I haven't seen many of their games but I figured that the addition of Cambage would take some getting used to.
7) Washington. Injury and sickness... been there, done that. Based on the talent, they should be a playoff team at minimum.
8) New York. I hate NY (as a life-long Boston sports fan), but the team and the league deserve better than what looks like a glorified high school gym where they are drawing an embarrassing 1,500 or so fans. I don't know their business model, but this doesn't seem sustainable. They drew an average of almost 10,000 at MSG last season. This has to be demoralizing for anyone who cares about the team or the W.
8) Vegas, Indiana, Chicago... looks like "there's always next year", but it ain't over 'till its over.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It's still fairly early in the season.

psconn

Reaction Score
It's still fairly early in the season.

Like about a quarter?:rolleyes:

I'm well aware that this great start by the Sun could be derailed at any point, and slow starters could resolve issues and make big moves. With this very compressed schedule, a bad (or great) week or two can completely reverse your team's fortunes.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Most teams have played 8 or 9 games at this point, so we're at the end of the first quarter of the season...

Sun observations:
1) Great start. 7-1 and undefeated at home. This is what coach Miller hoped for because the schedule just keeps getting harder until near the end.
2) Great stats. The Sun lead the league in Points Per Game, Rebounds Per Game, Assists Per Game, Field Goal Percentage and 3 Point Percentage. 6 players average double figures. No one is in the top 10 points leaders BUT the Sun have two of the 10 top Assist leaders (Thomas') and 2 of the top 10 Rebounders (AT and Chiney). The Sun have by far the highest "Net Rating" in the league (the difference between points scored per 100 possession versus points allowed per 100 possessions). The Sun also top the league in both Offensive and Defensive Rebounding Percentage (the percent of available O or D rebounds that they actually get). Assist to Turnover Ratio is the 2nd best (by 1/100th) to the Merc.
3) The "big line up". AT, JJ, CO, JT and CW starting to look more and more like THE line-up as they get used to new roles. Strick comes off the bench... (for the older folks - remember Vinny "The Microwave"?). Remember that Strick won the starting job when Morgan (the Sun's leading scorer at the time) went out with an injury. We're still looking for THAT Morgan.
4) Going to the Arena with the expectation that your team can (and will) compete with, and even beat, any team that they face, is what make the season tickets worth the price. Love it!

The Other 11:
1) Phoenix on a mission and looking very tough.
2) Seattle (lead by "that girl") looking like a team that wants to take the next step.
3) LA is probably the team to beat because the defending champion...
4) Lynx have yet to look like last years Juggernaut. I'll be surprised if this slump continues, but we all know father time is undefeated.
5) Atlanta is just what everyone predicted, vastly improved with Angel and All-Star Tif and getting better every week. A very dangerous team before it's over.
6) Dallas is another team that was good last year and should get much better. I haven't seen many of their games but I figured that the addition of Cambage would take some getting used to.
7) Washington. Injury and sickness... been there, done that. Based on the talent, they should be a playoff team at minimum.
8) New York. I hate NY (as a life-long Boston sports fan), but the team and the league deserve better than what looks like a glorified high school gym where they are drawing an embarrassing 1,500 or so fans. I don't know their business model, but this doesn't seem sustainable. They drew and average of almost 10,000 at MSG last season. This has to be demoralizing for anyone who cares about the team or the W.
8) Vegas, Indiana, Chicago... looks like "there's always next year", but it ain't over 'till its over.

Good observations. I’m not sure there’s really a spot for Tuck on this team with Thomas/Jones/Chiney in the front court. I don’t think they’re utilizing Jonquel well enough. Incorporating her with Chiney is going to take time, or I could see JJ signing with a different team in the next couple of years since it appears Chiney is more of a priority than JJ. The Sun have been fantastic though. They just need to keep up the momentum. Their youth/inexperience could catch up with them by the post season though.

As far as other teams....title goes through LA IMO. Parker is getting back into the swing of things, Gray is probably the best PG in the league, Nneka has been stellar, the chemistry and experience is there. Not to mention Sims. They won’t have a perfect record, but I’d have a hard time betting against them.

Seattle is a lot better too. Stewart/Loyd make up a heck of a 1-2 punch. Still need improved post play.

Atlanta is dangerous but I don’t think they’re a tangible title threat. Could see them going far and they’re capable of knocking off the big dogs but I don’t think they can finish the deal.

Minnesota has been bad. They’re old and I think they’re on a downward trend. Maya also hasn’t looked like her old self the last two seasons.

Dallas is similar to Atlanta, I think they’re a year or two away from being a real title threat though. Especially if Cambage stays and Stevens improves.

Washington, I don’t think they have what it takes to get far this year.

New York isn’t a top team IMO. Too reliant on Charles, she shouldn’t be shooting 20 shots per game.

Chicago and Indiana are bad. Good thing they have stellar rookies. Landing a quality big would do wonders for either squad next year.

Vegas is dangerous IMO. Wilson is legit but needs to finish shots. If she hits 1-2 more per game and Plum/Jefferson are effective, they’ll win a lot more games. Gotta get better looks for K-Mac too.

psconn

Reaction Score
I gave bballnut90 a "like" but after the Charles debacle, any talk of JJ leaving makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I wanna give that part a "hate". I know she has deep connections to the DC area so, yeah.... urrrpp!

Please remember JJ came in very late and had played no competitive bball for around 2 months. She is noticeably heavier (we are told intentionally so) and Coach Miller says she is still getting used to her "new body" as well as not being the sole "big" on the floor. We've known for over a year that the JJ/CO conundrum would be a feature of the Sun's development this season. I say, so far, so good and there's room for a lot more improvement.

How would you do things differently?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with most of what was said here, but I don't agree that Chicago is all that bad. Stef has been out and that has hurt. But they've have shown some good things. Gabby is doing well. Parker is a really good back up at Center. As I speak they are playing Seattle pretty much even. Vandersloot has also been out a lot. Quigley was out a game. They've got some talent when everyone is available. I like Amber Stocks as a coach too.

I also think NY has some good things going on. They have been devastated by injury, but Rodgers and Boyd are back. When Prince gets back, they should be better. Kia and Bria have been looking really good. And of course Tina is Tina. They're going to break out at some point this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom