The Final Turning Point | The Boneyard

The Final Turning Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn goes up 17-14 and has two straight 3 and outs.

First set of 3 and out the coaches called up decent plays, but the players couldn't make it happen.

Next set was awful.

USF has scored 35+ for 12 or 13 straight games.

You have to put the pedal to the floor against USF. UConn had the choke and let USF get some breathing room.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Was the second set the drive where we called a qb sneak and then ran it up the middle (starting on our own 1)? I really feel that the turning point was the 3 and out where we missed Lemelle across the middle on 3rd down. Could see USF gain some energy back at that point, got the ball and scored. Knew we were screwed at that point.

Reaction Score
Our line never adjusted to the blitz. We had guys not blocking anyone while blitzers were coming through untouched. That's what lost us this game.

Reaction Score
Was the second set the drive where we called a qb sneak and then ran it up the middle (starting on our own 1)? I really feel that the turning point was the 3 and out where we missed Lemelle across the middle on 3rd down. Could see USF gain some energy back at that point, got the ball and scored. Knew we were screwed at that point.
On that play where he missed Lemelle...Noel Thomas was WIDE open...it would have been a hit for a big gain...BUT BS missed him because he can't make his reads and progressions.

Reaction Score
Our line never adjusted to the blitz. We had guys not blocking anyone while blitzers were coming through untouched. That's what lost us this game.
Backs missed a lot of them tonight too...I think Newsmen and Johnson own a equal amount of them.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Its almost like trying to make your OL play a style that hasn't worked in 30 years isn't a good strategy against teams with faster players on D who can run around the fat guys.

Reaction Score
Same garbage approach week in and week out. BS is inconsistent so expecting late game heroics and accuracy is a fantasy. Give him enough downfield reps and we can pick up chunks and be effective. Use the TEs for something other than book ends on blitzes would help. Diaco remains too afraid to open up and take chances. He wants to play it close instead of taking the risk to dominate opponents.

Reaction Score
Its almost like trying to make your OL play a style that hasn't worked in 30 years isn't a good strategy against teams with faster players on D who can run around the fat guys.

I mean honestly it wasn't that complicated. The LG kept taking the Centers guy, the center had no one to block, and a linebacker shot through the A gap on the left side. It happened way too frequently. I don't know if they were ill-prepared or just missed their assignments but it definitely wasn't drawn up that way lol

Reaction Score
Someone else noted this earlier on the game thread, but losing Hopkins did not help one bit with blitz pick up and opening holes for the backs

It definitely didn't help, but he gave up at least 1 sack and 1 hurry when he was in, too.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My issue was that UConn couldn't figure out the blitz packages ever tonight.

Reaction Score
My issue was that UConn couldn't figure out the blitz packages ever tonight.

It's not just tonight... if you've read any of the pieces/post game evals that Dalton Gifford has done for TOS on the OL - it's been the same issues w/ twists and stunts and identification each week. Has been getting a bit better but regressed horribly (from my untrained eyes) tonight.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't know if they were ill-prepared or just missed their assignments but it definitely wasn't drawn up that way lol

I mean, you'd hope not, right?

Reaction Score
But they're prototypically sized!
They need find kids that understand how to block. Not sure some of our guys get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom