The Expansion Everyone Forgot | The Boneyard

The Expansion Everyone Forgot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We talk and infer and hope about future expansion, but there is one move that would be huge in defining (at least eastern) college athletics. No, not ND finding a conference (we always talk about that). My curiosity is about when the SEC decides to move beyond 13 (because I gaurantee they don't stay at that number) and who they move with. Whatever number the SEC goes to, that will undoubtedly be copied by the ACC and likely make B1G members a bit more antsy to expand again as well. The instability could rattle the Big 12/Pac but Texas seems completely committed so who knows.

So any guesses? Is it before the next BCS deal?

Reaction Score
I still see 16 being the number. 7 team divisions seems weird, but maybe not.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 will be the next to expand, probably by adding two schools. Most likely Louisville and BYU or Rutgers.

Reaction Score
If the pac 12 commissioner is right and only conference champions end up being eligible for the national championship then Notre Dame will find themselves on the outside looking in. That could be what the power conferences are pushing for, there's only so much money out there and they want total control. This could very well be the step to 5 or 6 power conferences of 16 teams each.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You know it occurs to me that the Big 10 gamed everyone.... even the PAC-1X. And especially the ACC. They expand by one team, adding a national program, already make a crap load of money and don't dilute the pie, strengthen the Rose Bowl tie in, look great for finally agreeing to create a "playoff" championship game, kill off a completing product, and then force Notre Dame to finally join a conference... all just by making some noise that they were going to expand to 16.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the pac 12 commissioner is right and only conference champions end up being eligible for the national championship then Notre Dame will find themselves on the outside looking in. That could be what the power conferences are pushing for, there's only so much money out there and they want total control. This could very well be the step to 5 or 6 power conferences of 16 teams each.

The big 4 could live with an undefeated ACC or BE taking a playoff spot. They absolutely would not want a 10-2 ND team taking one. With 2 losses, ND could easily find itself ranked 4 in a BCS formula used for seeding.

Now is their chance to address the ND issue. I hope they take it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
The Big 10, and Delaney, is the poker player that sits there at the table, and hangs around, mostly folding and calling and not really losing anything, and not betting either, until that big hand comes along, and then they make a big bet, no bluffing from that guy at the table. Fold your cards when he bets, because he's not ever bluffing.

I hate those kinds of poker players. Might as well go play bingo or something.

But in something like a conference commissioner's job? I'd take a guy like Delaney every day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom