The effects of game start times | The Boneyard

The effects of game start times

sun

Reaction Score
Have you ever wondered about how different start times can affect how well a person plays?
I think that game start times is something that is tracked regarding MLB starting pitchers, how well they perform during day vs. night games.
I wouldn't be surprised if some players have a preference for one or the other, perhaps in conjunction with other factors such when they eat meals or if they have an individual pre-game routine that's interfered with.
And the same could also apply to when the team practices since so many think that PT is dependent on how well an individual performs in practice.
I think that some players may have an internal clock that's different than others which might affect their performance on any given day.

Some of the same variables can probably affect players on both teams.
Is it a full moon?
What's their horoscope for today?

UConn schedule.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think through various commentaries that most players do not like early afternoon starts. Players like routine and I am guessing part of a normal night game routine is daytime practice/run through

Reaction Score
When I was coaching high school all out practices and meets were right after school except for the championship. I learned to do before school workout the week before to try to acclimate to having to be ready in the morning.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Have you ever wondered about how different start times can affect how well a person plays?
I think that game start times is something that is tracked regarding MLB starting pitchers, how well they perform during day vs. night games.
I wouldn't be surprised if some players have a preference for one or the other, perhaps in conjunction with other factors such when they eat meals or if they have an individual pre-game routine that's interfered with.
And the same could also apply to when the team practices since so many think that PT is dependent on how well an individual performs in practice.
I think that some players may have an internal clock that's different than others which might affect their performance on any given day.

Some of the same variables can probably affect players on both teams.
Is it a full moon?
What's their horoscope for today?

UConn schedule.
u fired a round of bird shot there, but i think i get ur intention.
it's timely that you raise this point now, at the time of solstice (yesterday at 11 am), one of the two most impactful days of the year, with the other being summer solstice. for millions upon tens of millions upon 100s of millions of years of evolution, all are imbedded with the solar clock, and rhythm. no two ways about it. the past 1 million years or so of our ascent from monkeyhood is but a rounding error on the process.
early on as a baller, yet old enuf to know my natural tendency, i looked closer at the typical routines for playing ball to answer some questions like, why does almost everyone stink, play slow and disjointed and such, at those weekend tourney games where we might start at 8 or 9 am? the sunday am game of a weekend tourney is usually worse.
research and reality quickly pointed out that it's the wrong time to be doing this. fast forward to many years of interest, and the overwhelming amount of exercise/movement studies, and they all point to the same thing - our majority (those morning type outliers are legit -dawn warriors! - but they are a minority) population is hard wired into peak physical efficiency at ..... the witching hour! ie plus and minus around sunset, cuz your dna can't easily forget the gazillion years of kill or be killed that came before. it's a real good time to sneak around and chomp some dinner. jalen adams was a fine player for the men, and the source of some bemusement when he pointed out that early afternoon games were not for him. if you know more than a few active (drive the car, go to the store, visit friends, etc) very long lived, say 80+, folks, you will notice that most don't get their game on until well past noon (again, except for those dawn warriors), and as they age, they get started later and later until they hit that time when they won't go that day, becuz the return time falls after dark, which at this point in their lives is a no-no to be driving around, and they need that remaining juice ...to watch jeopardy and wheel! (7 pm! how many other programs each day get that viewership?) lol but sorta also descriptive...
the hours leading up to, and after, sunset are primetime for ease of body movement. get far outside that window, say four or five hours on either side of sundrop, and things become more unreliable. on the udder hand, our energy (food) habits are the most personal of inputs.

yesterday is my favorite day of each year, as the sun noticeably begins its' rise.

this natural rhythm stuff is a big deal for some of us because, over time, it makes so many things better understood, including our health.
for instance, 2 nights ago -sharp, dry cold, with a blazing big moon, and at the time of solstice - we did a hike at 1 am cuz we knew that we might see something special. we did. a perfect large wolf (ie coyote, but closer in appearance to wolf cuz New England coyotes are now 25% wolf dna), around 70 to 90 pounds, with a confident tail straight out, and not between his/her legs, pleasantly strolling purposefully. our presence meant nothing. and why should it? it was his/her time. for millenia upon millenia, upon millenia, ...

this message is brought to you by the sun -'billions of years of doing the same dang thing to us- reliably being there.' that's gotta leave a mark!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Add jet lag / time zone change.

I agree with most of the second poster’s points too.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Add jet lag / time zone change.

I agree with most of the second poster’s points too.
people who are not either currently playing, or very recently retired from the game, should not be posting in this thread, unless they are conscious of the environment that they exist in.
next up? mlb pitching, and the consistently empirical evidence that peak no-hitters and such, are clustered around the typical stretch of peak heat in the summer. we already did week 48 and it's wholey predictable annual explosion for, ummm, bugs that can ail ya.
next, next up, why cardiovascular efficiency hits its' nadir in around february, and it's peak in and around august.
next, next, next up, vitamin d and the 38th parallel in the northern hemisphere.
next, next, next, next up, why hope springs eternal.

pay attention, cuz there will be a quiz on these issues, every freakin year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
people who are not either currently playing, or very recently retired from the game, should not be posting in this thread, unless they are conscious of the environment that they exist in.
next up? mlb pitching, and the consistently empirical evidence that peak no-hitters and such, are clustered around the typical stretch of peak heat in the summer. we already did week 48 and it's wholey predictable annual explosion for, ummm, bugs that can ail ya.
next, next up, why cardiovascular efficiency hits its' nadir in around february, and it's peak in and around august.
next, next, next up, vitamin d and the 38th parallel in the northern hemisphere.
next, next, next, next up, why hope springs eternal.

pay attention, cuz there will be a quiz on these issues, every freakin year.
well, yeah. I haven't participated in NCAA athletics in 43 years, so . . .I guess I'm not recently retired

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom