The Dirty "Z Word" | The Boneyard

The Dirty "Z Word"

Reaction Score
Another weakness is that Hurley basically refuses to use any type of Zone defense. While pretty much every other BE coach is willing to mix things up a bit with their half court defenses, we're fed quotes that we just need to work harder and "gut it out" in man. Playing a zone defense at times would:

*** Protect players from foul trouble
*** Help avoid bad mismatches such as Karaban vs. (insert name of quality 4)
*** Allow the 2 bigs to be on the floor together

Saying: "I've always been a man to man guy and won't play any Zone" is a bit stubborn in this day and age. You can still hang your hat on man D, but show some defensive creativity here and there.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure we went zone for a few possessions tonight when Clingan and Sanogo first came in. But I could be wrong

Reaction Score
Didn't mean to infer that we have never played zone this season, but it certainly doesn't seem as if Hurley uses much at all or coaches it with any confidence. PC flustered us offensively with some zone tonight and even changed defenses within possessions at times.

Reaction Score
Another weakness is that Hurley basically refuses to use any type of Zone defense. While pretty much every other BE coach is willing to mix things up a bit with their half court defenses, we're fed quotes that we just need to work harder and "gut it out" in man. Playing a zone defense at times would:

Saying: "I've always been a man to man guy and won't play any Zone" is a bit stubborn in this day and age. You can still hang your hat on man D, but show some defensive creativity here and there.
Had to go zone when Jackson got into foul trouble. Without him, there is nobody else on the roster to matchup up with Hopkins. It was a mistake

Reaction Score
Would need to practice Zone D for it to be effective. Have no idea if DH devotes much practice time to zone D...probably not. But agree need to throw it out there when a guy torching you on mismatch and we have no answer.

Reaction Score
We do have a tall team (required for effective zone) and it would help keep us out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
The Friars have struggled against the zone this year and every team we've played this year has mixed in some zone on us.

Reaction Score
I agree with this assessment. I wasn’t paying particular attention to what defense we were playing, but I don’t recall seeing much zone. I would like to see more changes in the defense. There seems to be a need to tinker with other defenses to at least get the opponent to have to make adjustments, especially when there were obvious mismatches and key players in foul trouble. I also think we were a bit tight causing lots of missed shots we would normally be hitting. Providence is really good and that crowd was so loud. We also have a hard time playing there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We do have a tall team (required for effective zone) and it would help keep us out of foul trouble.
We went zone in Game 1, with DC, Johnson and Karaban. Stonehill was completely flumoxed for obvious reasons. I don't expect us to use it much, but when our guys are getting screened to death by Xavier and giving up points at the rim, switch just to disrupt the offensive strategy of the opponent. Likewise vs PC, to contain Hopkins and protect the rim without fouls.

I've seen our team's offense struggle when the defense suddenly changes. It's a situational, tactical tool to break the rhythm of the offense. We desperately needed it in each game vs Creighton the last couple years, and didn't do it. My main criticism of Hurley is that he believes in his "system" too much.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When playing PC you need an effective zone to be shown on and off during the game.
The issue may be that teaching an effective zone takes a lot of time and it's not in DH's "bag of tricks".

Reaction Score

Sounds like Boeheim's attitude towards playing man to man.

Reaction Score
When playing PC you need an effective zone to be shown on and off during the game.
The issue may be that teaching an effective zone takes a lot of time and it's not in DH's "bag of tricks".
I'm no expert on this, but every coach teaches his team how to move the ball against a zone and find the soft spots (corner, 4 hole) so why would it be so hard to teach the team how to play a zone on occasion?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m not sure on this, but do we press often? Is it effective? I know for sure we do just not sure how much. With the length, athletes, and depth we have it would make sense.

Reaction Score
Would be an interesting look to put up a 1-3-1 for a few possessions.

Reaction Score
Might be too late in the season to implement any zone if we wanted to.
Is it really that hard to play zone? We don’t have to play cuse level but just disrupt theO and protect guys in foul trouble.

I remember reading a few years ago that Hurley said he played zone once and his brother and father made fun of him….

Reaction Score
Is it really that hard to play zone? We don’t have to play cuse level but just disrupt theO and protect guys in foul trouble.

I remember reading a few years ago that Hurley said he played zone once and his brother and father made fun of him….
If true, family mockery leaves a deep imprint and a desire not to revisit it.

Reaction Score

Coaches make fun of each other for going zone all the time. It's not a big deal. I think Danny can handle a friendly jab from his brother about having to use a zone if we still win the game, eh?

Reaction Score
We played a very small amount of zone against Xavier and it ended very poorly for us. Not because Xavier did a great job breaking it, but because it was very obvious that we didn’t know what we were doing

That makes me think that it hasn’t been practiced more than once or twice. If we’re going to let one guy take the ball every time and massacre us without ever practicing a different defense, then we better play some better man defense

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom