The dilemma of the Big East and the dance | The Boneyard

The dilemma of the Big East and the dance

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Every game is seemingly good for some team that's not a lock and bad for another team that's not a lock

Nova, Hall, St John's, X, PC and even Butler have their eyes on the prize. They all need to win, some more so than others

The Champions, Marquette and Creighton are looking good. Georgetown and DePaul are thinking about 2025

I think 7 will make it. Not sure who that 7 will be

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is really hard to get an at-large bid with a NET outside the top 45. 6 Big East teams have Top 45 NETs, but Xavier is a long shot for an at large at 1 game over .500. If the tournament was picked today, 5 Big East teams would be going.

Reaction Score
It is really hard to get an at-large bid with a NET outside the top 45. 6 Big East teams have Top 45 NETs, but Xavier is a long shot for an at large at 1 game over .500. If the tournament was picked today, 5 Big East teams would be going.
I think Hall Johnnies and Nova are all in right now so I'd say 6.

7 is a tall order and would require UConn losing games

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

The Net Rankings of the nine teams with a chance. Everyone can improve with wins

X is 43 FWIW

Hall is 60, every bracketologist has them in

PC 57

Butler 66

Joe L has 6 in today. 8-41 and 60

Reaction Score
7 is tough, hard to see that happening unless Butler or Providence figure out a way to keep winning. Xavier is done unless they win the Big East tournament though, they were not good enough OOC to make up for a middling conference record like Nova/St John's/Providence/Butler

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A quick dose of reality:

None of the other BE schools have any concern for us beyond the money and prestige we can add to the conference.

Our outlook should be that regardless of whether the conference sends as many schools to the dance as it did in 2011 or if it ends up as an eastern version of the WCC where we are the conference's Gonzaga (with a number of titles) and only one, occasionally two other schools make the dance, as long as we're doing what we should be doing all is good.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
UConn
Marquette
Creighton
Are locks

Seton Hall
Saint Johns
Villanova
Xavier
Are fighting for 2 spots

Reaction Score
Looking like it will be 6 bids. Xavier likely the odd one out. What hurts them on the bad Q3 losses and not many Q1 games left to make it up (6 remaining). Assuming they sweep the remaining Q3/Q4 games (3) they likely need to go 3-3 in Q1 games (worst Q1 record for an at large last year was PC at 5-9). If they then went 2-1 in Q2 that gives them a record rest of season of 8-4, overall 18-13.

That's probably not enough without a deep run at MSG. So really need to sweep Q2 as well to get to 19-12. They really needed that win last night. so I would assume it's 6 bids which is very good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A quick dose of reality:

None of the other BE schools have any concern for us beyond the money and prestige we can add to the conference.

Our outlook should be that regardless of whether the conference sends as many schools to the dance as it did in 2011 or if it ends up as an eastern version of the WCC where we are the conference's Gonzaga (with a number of titles) and only one, occasionally two other schools make the dance, as long as we're doing what we should be doing all is good.
This is my view too. Honestly I don’t care at all if the conference gets any more bids.

Reaction Score
This is where having only 11 makes it difficult. There are only so many wins to go around so it's good to have a handful of teams to take the losses.

Look at the ACC and Big 12 and how many punching bags they have this year. Forget about the Big 10.
BC, Louisville, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Va Tech, Syracuse, Pitt
Cinci, Okie State, WVU, UCF
Michigan, Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland, Minn, Iowa, Ohio State, Indiana

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
NET Forecasts? That is some predictive BS. Where does every team stand now. That is all that matters.

Reaction Score
This is where having only 11 makes it difficult. There are only so many wins to go around so it's good to have a handful of teams to take the losses
I like the double round robin and think it can actually bolster teams' resumes. With uneven scheduling some Big 12 bubble teams may not get as many opportunities for resume wins

Reaction Score
This is where having only 11 makes it difficult. There are only so many wins to go around so it's good to have a handful of teams to take the losses.

Look at the ACC and Big 12 and how many punching bags they have this year. Forget about the Big 10.
BC, Louisville, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Va Tech, Syracuse, Pitt
Cinci, Okie State, WVU, UCF
Michigan, Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland, Minn, Iowa, Ohio State, Indiana
Ask the mighty Duke and Kansas if all those teams you listed are punching bags. Or just maybe, sometimes the bag punches back.....

Reaction Score
A quick dose of reality:

UConn and the other Big East schools needs the money generated from Big East NCAA credits. From a financial standpoint, we should want as many BE bids as possible and as many BE wins as possible. Do you realize the NCAA Big East credits could be worth ~50% of the BE media contract? If we were in the SEC or Big 10, I wouldn't care about the other schools due to the large media contracts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom