The difference between this board and Cesspool? | The Boneyard

The difference between this board and Cesspool?

Reaction Score
I understand that there are times where this isnt much going on in Uconn basketball but do we need the amount of OT threads going on in the Uconn Men's Board? Can we keep the Mens bball board purely basketball and not threads on favorite lunch spots and what dentist do you use in the Hartford area? Seems like a better place for the cesspool board or another OT board.

If I'm totally alone in my feelings then that is fine, just wondering what others here think.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm sure you're not alone in your feelings, but I disagree. IMO the Men's Basketball board is the Boneyard, or at least the heart and soul of the Boneyard, in the sense that it is the board that is most directly connected to the long history that stretches back to Husky Hardcores IIRC, and I'm guessing it's considered the home base by most. Over the years they've done a good job of spinning off other boards for specific discussions as warranted, but this is still the most trafficked by far I'm sure, and therefore by far the most effective way to get input on a given subject. When it gets to be too much for this board, the mods do a good job of moving the threads to other boards. But if threads like the pizza and beer threads get moved it renders them pretty useless, and also renders this board a little less interesting imo.

Reaction Score
I do think it's fair for the football board and the Men's BBall board, and the Women's BBall board to be considered separate "communities", and aren't necessarily overlapping. And someone may want to discuss an OT subject with people within their community that they feel most comfortable with.

But yeah, I'm sure you're not alone in your thinking. I personally am ok with it though.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you're not alone in your feelings, but I disagree. IMO the Men's Basketball board is the Boneyard, or at least the heart and soul of the Boneyard, in the sense that it is the board that is most directly connected to the long history that stretches back to Husky Hardcores IIRC, and I'm guessing it's considered the home base by most. Over the years they've done a good job of spinning off other boards for specific discussions as warranted, but this is still the most trafficked by far I'm sure, and therefore by far the most effective way to get input on a given subject. When it gets to be too much for this board, the mods do a good job of moving the threads to other boards. But if threads like the pizza and beer threads get moved it renders them pretty useless, and also renders this board a little less interesting imo.

Perfectly stated.

Reaction Score
Im ok with it. Its just because its off season and we just dont have anything else to talk about.... Alot of people here have alot in common in addition to being Uconn fans, so its only natural. But we all know once the season starts, OT threads are few and far between. We are almost there!!

Reaction Score

and thats fine, but threads on Dog toys, flight plans, etc, at some point it gets too much. Not for nothing, i enjoy pizza and beer as well, and if you want to talk about what you eat and drink during games, I'm all for it. But at points, I'm seeing the same repeated threats or "who is the most important person you've talked to"? It gets kinda ridiculous.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
would be great if everyone only talked basketball BUT if it were that way there would be so much more HC and player bashing. Seems to be the thing to do when things get dry
I admit I sign in to talk basketball and to read basketball but do get some useful info and chuckles from unrelated chatter
Maybe there could be another section called the Kitchen Sink where off topic discussions can go - like a chatroom

Reaction Score
and thats fine, but threads on Dog toys, flight plans, etc, at some point it gets too much. Not for nothing, i enjoy pizza and beer as well, and if you want to talk about what you eat and drink during games, I'm all for it. But at points, I'm seeing the same repeated threats or "who is the most important person you've talked to"? It gets kinda ridiculous.

Don't read them. We are ONE here at the BY and cyber friends so while #1 is UConn basketball and should be, it's not always front and center. I love to hear what others from other parts of the state/country have to say about beer/wings/dogs/pizza/cars/ women as well as console them when there is a loss or sad news.

It's the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
It's the offseason and there's a breed of Yarders that flourish in the offseason. I'm sure there are a percentage of posters who disappear in April and don't visit nearly as much until the hoops start back up. Once the season kicks in a little more the OT's will dwindle dramatically.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
what else related to UConn basketball is going on that needs those spaces that those threads are taking up? there's nothing going on right now for UConn basketball... We all have a lot in common or questions that people here can answer with their experiences... Once the season starts/first night, there will be less and less OT threads... And trying to relate this board to the cesspool is wrong... That place lives up to its name

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
would be great if everyone only talked basketball BUT if it were that way there would be so much more HC and player bashing. Seems to be the thing to do when things get dry
I admit I sign in to talk basketball and to read basketball but do get some useful info and chuckles from unrelated chatter
Maybe there could be another section called the Kitchen Sink where off topic discussions can go - like a chatroom
the OT threads are really the only reason to come here during the offseason... once in awhile there will be some related UConn news... once the season starts it slows down... I only sign into this board so I dont mind the OT threads

Reaction Score

Nice idea but the thing about the BY/Mens basketball is many are here for that reason alone. I mean I occasionally meander over to football, women hoops (if allowed lol) but many vary from the good folks on the mens hoops board. No reason to open it from what I can see and put it elsewhere as this group here is who I like to go off the beaten path with.

Reaction Score
the OT threads are really the only reason to come here during the offseason... once in awhile there will be some related UConn news... once the season starts it slows down... I only sign into this board so I dont mind the OT threads

Recruiting news, summer league action, Uconn NBA players, other basketball events, conference news, future games, coaches.. there is stuff going on. Like i said, I expect OT threads, but we have a whole other OT section of the site for off topic posts. I think we've about exhausted the favorite "food" topic to death.

Reaction Score
Recruiting news, summer league action, Uconn NBA players, other basketball events, conference news, future games, coaches.. there is stuff going on. Like i said, I expect OT threads, but we have a whole other OT section of the site for off topic posts. I think we've about exhausted the favorite "food" topic to death.

Well not as much as you've exhausted your distaste for OT threads. We get it, now simply don't read them right? Not saying you're wrong everyone has an opinion, but it would seem to me the vast majority likes what they see. Time for all of us to move on to hoops...

Or the next "OT";)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's the offseason and there's a breed of Yarders that flourish in the offseason. I'm sure there are a percentage of posters who disappear in April and don't visit nearly as much until the hoops start back up. Once the season kicks in a little more the OT's will dwindle dramatically.

^^ This.

We have this thread pretty much every year. And the same thing happens every year, as we get into hoops season the OT threads on the mens board reduces dramatically, organically, of their own volition. No one really needs to say or do anything. It just happens.

And I will say the same thing Ive said before.

When people complain about OT threads in the off season, I find it pretty selfish actually. Selfish because they are not thinking of who actually pays for this board.

This board is paid for through page clicks measuring ad views. OT threads in the off season serve to stimulate page traffic. That is not debatable.

If enough people dont want an OT threads on the Mens hoops board specifically, gather up some like minded people and offer to pay the hosting and serving costs out of pocket. You may get some traction in that the mods would be more strict about moving OT posts to other forums.

I personally think it would kill a pretty cool community spirit thing weve had working here for decade and a 1/2 now, but thats just me. I understand different people come for different reasons and they are all valid. So that being said, I personally think the balance is good. But thats just one idiots opinion.

Reaction Score
^^ This.

We have this thread pretty much every year. And the same thing happens every year, as we get into hoops season the OT threads on the mens board reduces dramatically, organically, of their own volition. No one really needs to say or do anything. It just happens.

And I will say the same thing Ive said before.

When people complain about OT threads in the off season, I find it pretty selfish actually. Selfish because they are not thinking of who actually pays for this board.

This board is paid for through page clicks measuring ad views. OT threads in the off season serve to stimulate page traffic. That is not debatable.

If enough people dont want an OT threads on the Mens hoops board specifically, gather up some like minded people and offer to pay the hosting and serving costs out of pocket. You may get some traction in that the mods would be more strict about moving OT posts to other forums.

I personally think it would kill a pretty cool community spirit thing weve had working here for decade and a 1/2 now, but thats just me. I understand different people come for different reasons and they are all valid. So that being said, I personally think the balance is good. But thats just one idiots opinion.

This specific board or the domain? I hear you. I'm not here trying to stir up the pot, I've been on these boards since I started going to UConn over a decade ago, it just gets annoying when half the topics on the Men's board are off topic posts.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This specific board or the domain? I hear you. I'm not here trying to stir up the pot, I've been on these boards since I started going to UConn over a decade ago, it just gets annoying when half the topics on the Men's board are off topic posts.

specific board. If you are talking threads.

If you are talking hosting than whole domain

Reaction Score
It's better than all the speculation about the team and coaching IMO. How tall they are, how much weight they gained, is KO a good enough recruiter, why isn't he doing this or that, etc. I just find it so depressing that some fans don't think that KO and company are doing anything and everything possible to maximize UConn's potential.

Also, does anyone know where I can find an organic fruit stand in the greater Hartford area?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom