The Difference Between Oats and Altman | The Boneyard

The Difference Between Oats and Altman

Reaction Score
Why does anyone care that Altman didn’t focus on UConn and/or Hurley?

It wasn’t enough to blow them out, we need Altman’s validation too?
It’s more just pointing out that he’s a sour puss coach. I’m more likely to be rooting for a guy like Oats to succeed over a coach like Altman.

Reaction Score
I expect both Hurley and Oats to be top-of-their-class college coaches for the next 15 years if neither goes to the league. I don't think Hurley is an NBA coach in the same way Calhoun wasn't an NBA coach... it isn't their style of leadership.

Oats has more of the NBA gene. Wouldn't be shocked to see him get a gig with a middling team in a few years, but I hope he stays in the college game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s more just pointing out that he’s a sour puss coach. I’m more likely to be rooting for a guy like Oats to succeed over a coach like Altman.
I’m not a fan of his, rival when he was at K State, but I suspect he knew his team was playing Michigan State and he needed to motivate them. Seems it worked. It has nothing to do with us.

Reaction Score
It’s more just pointing out that he’s a sour puss coach
Or he’s focused on what his team needs to do to get better.

Of course he’s going to be far more gracious. The difference between Oats and Altman as it relates to the last 2 days is Oats is where he is because of Hurley. He literally said he’d still be coaching HS if it wasn’t for Dan.

Reaction Score
It's not the other teams' coach's job to kiss our ass every time we win. What happened out there coach? "We couldn't rebound, we couldn't get our bigs going in the paint" Is that not enough of an explanation as to what happened? Or do you need them to say "Number 44 Andre Jackson, great lift, 9 rebounds, man he out rebounded our best rebounder by 5. I sure wish I had him on my team instead of some of these other guys I got stuck with. Wow Adama Sanogo is so much better than my center. I wish I could have had an Adama Sanogo on my team..."

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
The Ducks played #12 Michigan State pretty close yesterday.

It is just that #20 UConn is that much better and deeper of a team. That iss why the Ducks were pantsed on Friday.

No shade being thrown on the Ducks, but few had really seen UConn play, up close and against top programs ...till now.

Now, people should reconsider our "cupcake" schedule.

A few of the teams we played early will very likely be much better ranked at the end of the year than right now.

Delaware State, as I had mentioned in an earlier post, is not the legacy "bad program" that closed out last season. They have a pretty capable back court, to my eye.

They will likely finish near the top of their conference IMHO.

Our SOS will, likely, ratchet upward as the season plays out.

And people will just need to start recalibrating their thinking with regard to the Huskies.

Getting beaten by 15 - 25 pts may become the new normal.

Reaction Score
It's not the other teams' coach's job to kiss our ass every time we win. What happened out there coach? "We couldn't rebound, we couldn't get our bigs going in the paint" Is that not enough of an explanation as to what happened? Or do you need them to say "Number 44 Andre Jackson, great lift, 9 rebounds, man he out rebounded our best rebounder by 5. I sure wish I had him on my team instead of some of these other guys I got stuck with. Wow Adama Sanogo is so much better than my center. I wish I could have had an Adama Sanogo on my team..."
If you listen to most “classy” coaches after a tough game/loss, including Hurley- one of the first things they will usually say is: “credit to team- they play tough, are well coached, etc.” No one is expecting another coach to praise us, but I think there’s a certain level of respect for the game, the opposing coach and program that should be exhibited. When there is NO mention anywhere in any post game interviews, etc. it makes me think less of that coach. More respect for Oats in that regard- That’s all this whole thread and my original post is about to me.

Last edited:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
BTW, we are deep. Real deep. And very good, very deep.

We look a little different at every position with our second 5. Not in a better/worse kind of way. Just different.

And consider last night, for example. Sanogo and 2 other starters sit with 3. Clingan comes in and presents a different kind of very good 5 to Alabama. We go on a nice run as the Tide tries to adapt.

Then, just about the time the Tide's starting 5 is beginning to feel "Hey, we can do this." The Huskies put our starting 5 back on the floor, fresh as daisies, and having watched the Tide, in game, for 10 minutes or so, learning what adjustments to make.

We are luxuriating with this kind of talented depth, and with tremendous opportunity for in game coaching/adjustment.

We will be tough to beat this season. We just will

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Who are two coaches that I have never thought about or likely ever will again?

I'll take Things Which We Shouldn't Concern Ourselves for $800.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I am soooo glad Oats didn’t land at Cuse lmao. 4 more years!

Even Pitt or Michigan, I think he’d have a top 25 team no matter what. His recruiting has been really good in the SEC but I think he’d do that anywhere. Cuse was always my first concern too.

Reaction Score
Obviously Oats has the history with Hurley and is a close friend of his- but his comments were very complimentary of UConn. Night and day difference from Altman’s comments (or lack of) the night before. I have a lot of respect for him and his program.
Well I guess you'll like Mike Boynton then.

"I don't know if (No.) 8 is high enough for this team," Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton said of the Huskies' ranking. "I've watched them play every one of their games, and I saw a team that, from my view, for whatever it's worth, can win a national championship."

Jordan Hawkins, Adama Sanogo lead UConn men's basketball to win over Oklahoma State

Reaction Score
I listened to Jared’s interview with Boynton on my way to work this morning and came away very impressed. He’s a coach I’ll root for going forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom