The Die Is Cast. . . | The Boneyard

The Die Is Cast. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . a very old (back to Julius Caesar) expression, signifying that an irreversible decision has been made. I refer to the lineup that Geno appears to be committed to for the Big East Tournament and the Big Dance to follow.

Morgan will start. Caroline will not. Just that simple.

The more I think about it the more I like it. This decision by Geno (and his staff) is all at once intriguing, surprising, logical, risky and, um, ballsy. Maybe a hint of desperation.

Geno will rely on two guards, Bria and Kelly, in the same manner he relied on Diana and Maria, which is tosay that neither will be the "pure" point guard.

Most often, Stef will play the high post and Morgan will go down low. Stef can draw a "big" (e.g., Achonwa, Griner) away from the hoop, she can pass well, and she can hit perimeter shots. Bonus is the possibility that Morgan gains a favorable matchup in the low post.

Stef will still often rotate with Morgan (Kaleena to the high post) and do her back-to-the-basket thing. And don't be surprised to see Kaleena post up down low against opposing guards.

Breanna and Caroline will be first off the bench. Moriah will be a sort of a specialty sub, a la Lorin Dixon. Kiah? We must hope she steps it up and provides solid minutes for Morgan or Stef.

Will this work? A lot depends on Bria, of course. And Morgan. And Rosemary Raigle. There are enough games and practice time to mesh the gears at both ends of the court.

I am, sad to say, persuaded (ND 2x and Baylor 1x) that the "old" lineup was not going to bring home an NC. I believe that this bold move gives us a better shot. In any event, The Die Is Cast.

Reaction Score
The change in the starting lineup wasn't a huge surprise to me. Very similar situation to 2003 when Morgan Valley started pretty much the entire year, but a freshman Barbara Turner replaced her in the starting lineup at the end of the year. IIRC Geno waiting until the NCAA tournament to make the switch that year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As Geno said they need some more size in the line to move KML to the 3 and add strength in the posts. Adding Morgan for CD the achieve that and since Bria is struggling for her outside shot it adds some offense taking pressure off of Bria. It makes sense and the time is right.

Reaction Score
I say Kelly is the key. DT took over the team and willed and played the team into championships in 2003 and 2004. If the team is to win it this year (albeit a long shot), Kelly will need to lead from the backcourt. Can she do it? Well she's already accomplished many more things than expected since she was recruited out of high school and in the last year has made still further major strides. Maybe she will make further major strides in the home stretch leading to a national championship.

Reaction Score
Morgan will start. Caroline will not. Just that simple.

The more I think about it the more I like it. This decision by Geno (and his staff) is all at once intriguing, surprising, logical, risky and, um, ballsy. Maybe a hint of desperation.

Geno will rely on two guards, Bria and Kelly, in the same manner he relied on Diana and Maria, which is tosay that neither will be the "pure" point guard.

I think it is wise from a strategic standpoint. Tuck's size, strength and ability to score inside and out, presents a more difficult matchup for the defense. Not slamming CD, but simply put, she really isn't much of an offensive threat outside of shooting three's when she is left open. Opposing defenses recognize this and are able to sag down and clog up the middle. I liked the way the Huskies game plan the other night included posting up KML and going inside to Tuck and Dolson early on. Obviously, ND made some adjustments and these options weren't as available later on in the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In March, Kib is citing Caesar. We need to go into the rest of the games with a lean and hungry look.

Man, Kib is way older than I thought. I think he called Caesar "Julie." :)

Reaction Score
I like a starting line up of Bria, Kelly, KML, Morgan and Stef going into the 2 tourneys.
I wish it was a few steps faster. That's not a good ball-handling, press-breaking lineup. If I'm coaching against UConn, I follow ND's strategies in almost all cases defensively.

Reaction Score
Bria and Kelly can, and for the most part did, break the ND pressure. Will there be a few turnovers, sure..but they didn't struggle with it. If one of them fouls out there's likely going to be an issue though.

Reaction Score
I wish it was a few steps faster. That's not a good ball-handling, press-breaking lineup. If I'm coaching against UConn, I follow ND's strategies in almost all cases defensively.
I agree with your assessment of the limitations. But, what other choices does Geno have? To have a better chance to win the two championship tourneys, he has to make a change. There's not enough offence with Doty and Hartley in the lineup which allows the defense to overplay the other 3 players. At least the changed lineup offers opportunities for improvement in the big games ahead against Notre Dame (probably twice) and Baylor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In the famous words of one Donald Rumsfeld. "You go to war with the army you have not the army you want."

As blackbird noted Bria and Kelly handled the ND and Baylor pressure. That is somewhat lost at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom