The Definition of Insanity | The Boneyard

The Definition of Insanity

Reaction Score
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

When we run the same broken offense (or should I say lack of offense) year after year, how in the world can we expect to see anything different?? Having one guy dribble at the top of the key, pass, then make a half hearted cut inside then back out to the perimeter while the other 3 guys stand around and watch is not an offense. Instituting this "offense" every single year, and expecting to get any semblance of results is ludicrous. Sure we may have scored 76 points, but a preponderance of these came on easy buckets in the last 5-6 minutes after Providence had more or less packed up.

Running this same offensive "set" year after year, and expecting successful results, is quite literally insanity.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Cool. They’ve been practicing for only two weeks. With two players who played any significant minutes last year. Against a team that returned seven.

Write this post in late November at least.

Reaction Score
Cool. They’ve been practicing for only two weeks. With two players who played any significant minutes last year. Against a team that returned seven.

It's not just this team though. It has been the teams for the last 3 years, year after year. At some point it is impossible to be blind to the pattern.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It's not just this team though. It has been the teams for the last 3 years, year after year. At some point it is impossible to be blind to the pattern.
People have been pointing this out for years too. There's always a new reason why we should just wait and give it more time. Eventually time will run out.

Reaction Score
People have been pointing this out for years too. There's always a new reason why we should just wait and give it more time. Eventually time will run out.
I've been willing to wait this out for a while, but time is wearing thin. Starting to look more like excuses rather than facing the facts. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
This O works if we have 3-4 players that can score and 2-3 of them can create their own shot or draw the defense and pass.
We have had that since the last champ team.

Reaction Score
Let’s not be impatient. Providence could be a top ten team for all we know. There’s plenty of time to get down and we’ll know in the next 6-8 weeks if we’re going to have progress or. a repeat of last season.

Reaction Score
It is an exhibition. Similar to how players treat an all star game. A type of game (pre season type environment) where coaches tinker with this and that. Does not count for anything.

In other words....

Relax.

Reaction Score

The player turnover is mostly KO's fault between the amount of players that bail on the program at the first opportunity and the amount of grad transfers he brings in year after year. Regardless of the reasons why kids transfer out or declare early when they have no hope of being drafted, it's time to point the finger at KO rather than all the separate instances of these kids leaving. It's happened enough times now that it can't be all on the kids and their families.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Fair point, let me make a different one. Did you see anything tonight that makes you believe he's wrong. Poorly executed plays would have still lost the game but at least that would be something. More "isolate and attack"? That's disconcerting.

Reaction Score
Just to be fair jc had his fair share of impotent offenses that lingered around the arc and rushed a shot. In fact this was prevalent once Kemba was given the keys in 2010. It may have actually helped us win ‘14 as we were notorious for scoring at the end of the clock. Any way Kemba is my al time dude and yes a. Hangs in offense would be nice. But what other offense could they know in 2 weeks? The first few weeks of most sports programs are spent on conditioning anyway.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
In what dictionary is that the definition?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It's not all doom and gloom, but there is plenty of room for concern.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've been a huge KO apologist the last three seasons, but last night gave me pause.

Sure, Providence is experienced and a likely tournament team. Sure, the majority of our team has yet to play together for even a full month. And sure, it was an exhibition. I concede all of that.

But still...

Something about last night reminded me too much of the things that bothered me about each of KO's teams of the past. I'm looking for the right words to describe it. It's a combination of lack of discipline (or focus?), lack of gameplan, and lack of progress with returning players. The sum total of this points to ineffective coaching.

My God, I hope I'm overreacting. I hope this team finds a purpose in the next five games (and a winning formula). The schedule, after that, contains teams that will do to us what Providence just did, and more. Perish the thought...

If this team is not significantly better than last year, Ollie has used up all of my patience, and I will be hopping off of his particular bandwagon. I need to see progress, I need evidence of coaching having some effect.

Reaction Score
This O works if we have 3-4 players that can score and 2-3 of them can create their own shot or draw the defense and pass.
We have had that since the last champ team.
Here's where I think the issue is - Calhoun had an eye for kids who would work well in his pro style offensive system, and, most importantly, he also was able to recruit pretty high level players.

KO, who runs pretty much the same offense, won a national championship with the high level recruits Calhoun brought in to play that exact same system.

KO hasn't recruited nearly as well as Calhoun did (understandable) but he's still trying to run a pro style offense, and it obviously hasn't worked out too well. When you have 8 guys on the team who should be your 8th-12th men off the bench, you just can't run that type of offense effectively. It's that simple.

When Calhoun had less talented teams early in his career he adjusted and ran offense (and defense) that played to the strengths of the personnel he had. Ollie does not. He continues to run the exact same pro offense, and, quite honestly, his refusal to adjust to his personnel is running this program into the ground.

I'm not a negative fan, and I've have completely refrained from saying anything about the collapse of this program the past few years, but I'm at the point where I am really losing hope. We keep losing and nothing changes; Ill prepared for games, dig a big hole early, look like a team of lost puppies playing against men (no matter who we play), half hearted effort, our players have very poor fundamentals overall; boxing out, rebounding, setting picks, etc. (which is completely inexcusable). KO makes no adjustments and just keeps running the exact same offense no matter how many years in a row it has proven to be ineffective at best.

I really try to be positive, but I've almost lost all hope. I'm trying to find something positive to hang on to but I seem to be grasping at air.

If Ollie isn't going to make changes nothing is going to change. I think it's that simple.

Reaction Score
The player turnover is mostly KO's fault between the amount of players that bail on the program at the first opportunity and the amount of grad transfers he brings in year after year. Regardless of the reasons why kids transfer out or declare early when they have no hope of being drafted, it's time to point the finger at KO rather than all the separate instances of these kids leaving. It's happened enough times now that it can't be all on the kids and their families.

I think that those pointing out that it has only been 2 weeks or this is just an exhibition are missing the point.

This is the offense that KO runs. It works well when you have a Kemba or Shabazz to bail you out. It does not work well with the lack of shooters on this team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Cool. They’ve been practicing for only TEN DAYS. With two players who played any significant minutes last year. Against a team that returned seven.

fixed it for you, don't exaggerate

:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom