The Defensive Line Thread | The Boneyard

The Defensive Line Thread

Reaction Score
Like the OL line thread, pethaps this could be a place to discuss not only specific personnel, but the effectiveness etc. of the unit as a whole.

I’m really excited about this group. Travis Jones, by all accounts, has done the work necessary to maximize his huge potential. I can’t wait to see him do his thing. Also looking forward to seeing how taking a year off has helped Kevon Jones, Uguak, and Watts. (Those are the starting 4, I’m guessing). Losing Harris will hurt, but I’m hoping Gourdine and DeVaughn will be ready to rotate in. Video clips/reports indicate McCarthy will also see the field this year as a true freshman. After that, everyone is a question mark for me.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming Travis is going to be a nightmare for offenses. If opponents have to regularly double team him, that is going to free up everyone else. That could be very, very good for the effectiveness of the unit as a whole, as well as the LBs.

Reaction Score
Solve your problems with aggression. I liked that approach. Haven't seen much of it since Don Brown left. All things in moderation, but his defense was awesome.

Reaction Score
Hope its Gourdine taking Caleb Thomas' minutes. Exited about Watts, he had a very good year in 2019 as a young back up. Harris i thought should have been a LB and they moved him there in the spring only to be back at DL for summer and now gone. I wasnt sure that was a good sign moving backnto DE. . Hopefully someone from the group of Harris the Younger, Hooper, McCarthy, DeVaughn and Hardy(not yet) can contribute at DE. Its needed badly. Them plus the 2022 recruits at this position , the future there looks good. They were trying to bring in a DT from Washington State as I believe Quay Evans though highly rated is one more year away in adding enough heft to play inside. Add Moore(someone to keep an eye on) UGuak and the Joneses and it looks to be a group to to be excited about.

Reaction Score
This group is the biggest X factor for our success this year IMO. A strong front 4 will help cover up some deficiencies on the back end.
I’m still not sold on our LBs or DBs at all, but this group should have the size and depth to take the next step this year.

Reaction Score
Travis is gonna command a lot of double teams. He's an absolute monster now. Linebackers and who ever plays next to him are going to get a lot of opportunities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This group is the biggest X factor for our success this year IMO. A strong front 4 will help cover up some deficiencies on the back end.
I’m still not sold on our LBs or DBs at all, but this group should have the size and depth to take the next step this year.
The LBs have needed some serious work over the past few years on the while. That said, if the D Line isn’t getting blown off the ball, it makes it a lot easier to do your job. The biggest thing I hope to see are LBs taking angles, getting off blocks and working inside out to make plays. Making tackles 7+ yards down field is no bueno.

Reaction Score
Hope its Gourdine taking Caleb Thomas' minutes. Exited about Watts, he had a very good year in 2019 as a young back up. Harris i thought should have been a LB and they moved him there in the spring only to be back at DL for summer and now gone. I wasnt sure that was a good sign moving backnto DE. . Hopefully someone from the group of Harris the Younger, Hooper, McCarthy, DeVaughn and Hardy(not yet) can contribute at DE. Its needed badly. Them plus the 2022 recruits at this position , the future there looks good. They were trying to bring in a DT from Washington State as I believe Quay Evans though highly rated is one more year away in adding enough heft to play inside. Add Moore(someone to keep an eye on) UGuak and the Joneses and it looks to be a group to to be excited about.
DT from Washington State?

Reaction Score
From The Athletic today on the biggest "Freaks" in CFB this coming season:

13. Travis Jones, UConn, defensive lineman​

One of the best-kept secrets in college football, the 6-5, 328-pounder registered 11.5 TFLs in his first two college seasons. With the Huskies unable to play in 2020, Jones didn’t get a chance to show just how much he’s developed there. This is a guy who arrived in Storrs at 360 pounds with 30 percent body fat. He’s 32 pounds lighter now, and his body fat is down to a staggering 13 percent. Jones benches 455 and has done 32 reps at 225. He hang cleans 405 and squats 615. His vertical is 28.5 inches, and his shuttle time of 4.57 is even more impressive. (Former Auburn star Derrick Brown, a top-10 overall pick who was almost the exact same weight, ran it in 4.79 at the 2020 combine.) Jones has an 82.5-inch wingspan and a strong 7.41 time in the 3-cone.

Reaction Score
Solve your problems with aggression. I liked that approach. Haven't seen much of it since Don Brown left. All things in moderation, but his defense was awesome.
Truthfully I always thought his defenses were a little over rated. I’d take over the 11 orange cones we used a few years ago, but I remember a number of instances where Brown’s aggression left guys wide open for big gains. When it worked it was good but when it missed it was pretty bad.

Reaction Score
Truthfully I always thought his defenses were a little over rated. I’d take over the 11 orange cones we used a few years ago, but I remember a number of instances where Brown’s aggression left guys wide open for big gains. When it worked it was good but when it missed it was pretty bad.
P

Reaction Score
Orlando, imo, was far and away a better DC than Brown. Problem with Orlando was that it wasn't flashy, it was stout and kinda boring to the untrained eye. Brown was flashy. A lot of blitzing, kids playing with their heads on fire. But Brown's defense was always giving up huge plays.

Reaction Score
Orlando, imo, was far and away a better DC than Brown. Problem with Orlando was that it wasn't flashy, it was stout and kinda boring to the untrained eye. Brown was flashy. A lot of blitzing, kids playing with their heads on fire. But Brown's defense was always giving up huge plays.
And yet the points against were quite low. Admitedly, some of that was having a decent offense and particularly an offense in which the run was usually established. But still ...

Reaction Score
From The Athletic today on the biggest "Freaks" in CFB this coming season:

13. Travis Jones, UConn, defensive lineman​

One of the best-kept secrets in college football, the 6-5, 328-pounder registered 11.5 TFLs in his first two college seasons. With the Huskies unable to play in 2020, Jones didn’t get a chance to show just how much he’s developed there. This is a guy who arrived in Storrs at 360 pounds with 30 percent body fat. He’s 32 pounds lighter now, and his body fat is down to a staggering 13 percent. Jones benches 455 and has done 32 reps at 225. He hang cleans 405 and squats 615. His vertical is 28.5 inches, and his shuttle time of 4.57 is even more impressive. (Former Auburn star Derrick Brown, a top-10 overall pick who was almost the exact same weight, ran it in 4.79 at the 2020 combine.) Jones has an 82.5-inch wingspan and a strong 7.41 time in the 3-cone.

Good lord that's a very big, strong and agile person!.......and how the heck does somebody bench 455!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
And yet the points against were quite low. Admitedly, some of that was having a decent offense and particularly an offense in which the run was usually established. But still ...
It was a mixed bag with Brown. His scheme worked when they played teams that were equal or worse than UConn. Better teams would take advantage of his scheme.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing our base D is going to have a 4 man front. I think that's better than a 3 man front at this time given our personnel. I could see going to a 3 man front in passing situations. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'm guessing our base D is going to have a 4 man front. I think that's better than a 3 man front at this time given our personnel. I could see going to a 3 man front in passing situations. Thoug
TJ as a nose guard is an idea that has a certain appeal though. If UConn has enough LB's to do it, certainly an option. Guessing that the development of the LB corps is the gating factor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom