The death of a message board...R.I.P ESPN Message Boards | The Boneyard

The death of a message board...R.I.P ESPN Message Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Effectively as of July 17th ESPN will be shutting down all ESPN message board forums... R.I.P.

Wonder if we will see a spike in new posters here...hmmmm

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Effectively as of July 17th ESPN will be shutting down all ESPN message board forums... R.I.P.

I occasionally lurk on the ESPN WCBB board. I think there are only a half dozen regular posters there. Four UConn fans and two LV fans. Occasionally a guy from ND shows up. Most of the conversations are UConn/UTenn pissing contests. IMO no big loss.

Reaction Score

This is a message I received earlier - doing away with anonymity as well.

Effective July 17, ESPN will be shutting down forums permanently. We hope you will move your communities to our game conversations, blogs and stories. A Facebook account will be required to post comments on new articles.

and this one...

"Effective July 17, ESPN will be transitioning all conversations to Facebook comments. At that time a Facebook account will be required to post comments on new articles. Previous comments and conversations will be closed to comment but can still be viewed."

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
IDK - I am not liking the linking to FB - I prefer to keep these things separate and always opt "no" to that option.

I am not a poster on the ESPN boards, but I did lurk for the odd informative thread. Very odd. Getting back to my initial statement, FB is a medium that is viewed by prospective employers and family, and although there are a few things on this board that I also post to my FB page, I would rather be the editor of those choices...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Facebook...huh...wonder if ESPN struck a deal with Zuckerman to handle their message board communities....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Dunno for sure, but I noticed that the game threads have been already hooked to Facebook

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
This is a message I received earlier - doing away with anonymity as well.

I would bet they're related. A collection of newspapers here in Mass just announced that all comments now have to be with your real name -- with verification coming from your Facebook account or from an acct with the newspaper. There has been growing concern in media circles about anonymity Leading to nasty comments; now it looks like some places are taking a new approach.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We all worry about "big brother" government when we should be worrying about the ever expanding tentacles of the Facebook empire.

Reaction Score
Getting back to my initial statement, FB is a medium that is viewed by prospective employers .

Only if you let them. Use the privacy settings.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Only if you let them. Use the privacy settings.

Nevertheless, I still want separation between the mediums. I have reason not to trust the "privacy" settings in FB.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
When you try to sign into ESPN now...they try to direct you to FB then FB informs you that ESPN wants access to your friends list. I'm telling you ESPN made a deal with the devil...I mean Zuckerman

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While I don't do Facebook (my wife does) or ESPN boards, it appears my hand may be eventually forced.

I actually don't object to less anonymity in comments about news stories - I usually read the few most recent responses to articles on CNN and - to put it mildly - folks will say things on the internet that I can only hope they wouldn't in person. While I have no objection to telling folks on a board like this who I am, or having any outsider read what I post, I suppose I also feel like "why should I have to". A knotty question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom