The cutback run | The Boneyard

The cutback run

Reaction Score
One of the reasons that Houston was so successful in his time at UConn was that the zone blocking scheme provides the opportunity, on occasion, for the RB to cut back and make yards. He had dozens of chunk plays on cut backs. When everyone was flowing right he went left or vice versa.

I haven't notice (it may have happened) our RBs using the cutback this year. The RBs go the direction of the line. Of course, that is how the running scheme is designed. But I wonder if our backs are not looking for, or are not taught to look for the cut backlane.

Reaction Score
Spoken like a former Halfback Palatine!! Pissed that he left, Houston was a dangerous back for us.

Reaction Score
One thing I’ve noticed is a lot of the running plays are more quick hitting than in the past few years. Has anyone else noticed that?
That would explain why there are fewer cut back opportunities (and losses behind the LOS).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
One of the reasons that Houston was so successful in his time at UConn was that the zone blocking scheme provides the opportunity, on occasion, for the RB to cut back and make yards. He had dozens of chunk plays on cut backs. When everyone was flowing right he went left or vice versa.

I haven't notice (it may have happened) our RBs using the cutback this year. The RBs go the direction of the line. Of course, that is how the running scheme is designed. But I wonder if our backs are not looking for, or are not taught to look for the cut backlane.
our backs are better now, period

Reaction Score
They actually had a TE that was an effective blocker down field. Not pancake stuff but it worked. He also screwed up a bit too.

Reaction Score
our backs are better now, period

Vince Lombardi said run to daylight. That means that you improvise and run to where there is open space. Houston was great at this aspect of the running game. This year, so far, our guys run to where the play is designed.

It is not a question of which back is better or which RB room is better. It may be how the coaches want the play run. Or it could be the defenses are locking down the back edge. It could be something else. But through three games we haven't seen the cutback.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We are running more stretch plays and they were very effective last week vs a good Duke defense. I don't care what they run as long as they pick up chunk yards like they did last week. I also never wanna see an up the middle run, unless it's a short yardage down, ever again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom