The crackboard says.... | The Boneyard

The crackboard says....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UVA +1 to b1g Monday...... They have more than a few threads going on this. Seems like all the fake insiders are coming together on it too.

Reaction Score
UVA +1 to b1g Monday...... They have more than a few threads going on this. Seems like all the fake insiders are coming together on it too.
Pretty sure those threads came out Sunday talking about yesterday as the Monday the moves were coming. Unless those insiders got there mondays mixed up and started a new rumor for next week I think these have been proven wrong...shocker I know

Reaction Score
Is Virginia the Next Big Ten Target?
There’s a ton of chatter on the Internet these days about expansion, and in the last couple days, a lot of noise has picked up about the Big Ten and Virginia. After going to several different places on the Interwebs, it looks like Virginia is set to become team 15 in the Big Ten, maybe as early as Monday morning, with either North Carolina or Georgia Tech team 16…

Reaction Score
There’s a ton of chatter on the Internet these days about expansion, and in the last couple days, a lot of noise has picked up about the Big Ten and Virginia. After going to several different places on the Interwebs, it looks like Virginia is set to become team 15 in the Big Ten, maybe as early as Monday morning, with either North Carolina or Georgia Tech team 16…
HP, where did you get that info?

Reaction Score
I'm not holding my breath. If Virginia was this close to joining, why did the Big 10 ever bother with Rutgers?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not holding my breath. If Virginia was this close to joining, why did the Big 10 ever bother with Rutgers?
Because the addition of Rutgers made the B1G more appealing. I mean it is the afterbirth or whatever they call themselves.

By the way my normal source, neighbor's dog Sam, tells me that we will get the B1G invite with Virginia as the Delaney expands north and south from Maryland and Rutgers. As most of you know, Sam has never been right so he's due.

Reaction Score

As soon as I see a post with UNC to B1G I know it's pure hope and speculation. When GT is included I know delusion is involved.

Reaction Score

Because the target is the northeast, not the south Atlantic coast.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because the addtion of Rutgers made the B1G more appealing. I mean it is the afterbirth or whatever they call themselves.

By the way my normal source, neighbor's dog Sam, tells me that we will get the B1G invite with Virginia as the Delaney expands north and south from Maryland and Rutgers. As most of you know, Sam has never been right so he's due.

I'm no OB-Gyn, but is it possible for afterbirth to make it's way out before the baby? The Scarlet Knights would be more like water breaking.

Reaction Score
Because the addtion of Rutgers made the B1G more appealing. I mean it is the afterbirth or whatever they call themselves.

Not Son of Sam? Please not Sam.

Reaction Score
I'm no OB-Gyn, but is it possible for afterbirth to make it's way out before the baby? The Scarlet Knights would be more like water breaking.

From my cling ons, on a cats ass comment, to afterbirth. Time to insert the keys and turn.

"Turn your key sir." --Wargames--

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From my cling ons, on a cats ass comment, to afterbirth. Time to insert the keys and turn.

"Turn your key sir." --Wargames--
I know this is turning out to be a decent thread, right?

Reaction Score
So the day after the UMD/Rutty invites went out, Delany slapped his forehead and said, "Damn, I meant to invite UVA"?
not likely... but its hard to theorize when you only see one side of the equation. maybe RU getting the nod with MD started some discussions and got things moving that otherwise wouldn't have.

A lot is being mentioned about ACC defections... Maybe now UVA is willing to listen and even consider a move to the Big.

Reaction Score
not likely... but its hard to theorize when you only see one side of the equation. maybe RU getting the nod with MD started some discussions and got things moving that otherwise wouldn't have.

A lot is being mentioned about ACC defections... Maybe now UVA is willing to listen and even consider a move to the Big.

Your second paragraph makes more sense to me. I believe one of the reasons UMD was invited was to test the waters. How difficult would it be to lure a team out of the ACC? UMD was the logical choice. It would have been exceedingly more difficult (as well as make less sense) to go after UVA first. Trying to convince UMD and UVA to join as part of a package deal might have made UMD's decision to leave the ACC somewhat easier. That Delany (apparently) didn't go after UVA (although we don't know that for a certainty), instead of Rutgers does help theorize what the next move might be.

If the B1G's ultimate target is the south Atlantic, why offer Rutgers at all? Offering Rutgers and Maryland together all but shouts that the target is the northeast. UVA fits into that strategy; the south Atlantic schools don't. Maybe Delany is after both markets. Maybe he is but such a massive undertaking sounds like a bridge too far to me.

Reaction Score
MD was low hanging fruit because they are broke. Now the Big 10 will see who else they can pry away, now that instability has been created.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Your second paragraph makes more sense to me. I believe one of the reasons UMD was invited was to test the waters. How difficult would it be to lure a team out of the ACC? UMD was the logical choice. It would have been exceedingly more difficult (as well as make less sense) to go after UVA first. Trying to convince UMD and UVA to join as part of a package deal might have made UMD's decision to leave the ACC somewhat easier. That Delany (apparently) didn't go after UVA (although we don't know that for a certainty), instead of Rutgers does help theorize what the next move might be.

If the B1G's ultimate target is the south Atlantic, why offer Rutgers at all? Offering Rutgers and Maryland together all but shouts that the target is the northeast. UVA fits into that strategy; the south Atlantic schools don't. Maybe Delany is after both markets. Maybe he is but such a massive undertaking sounds like a bridge too far to me.

"If the B1G's ultimate target is the south Atlantic, why offer Rutgers at all"

Your theory (which I hope comes to fruition because it maximizes Connecticut's chances for inclusion) seems to overlook that Delaney might be targeting not a NorthEast or SouthEast component to the B1G, but rather a full-on Eastern presence.

Adding Connecticut, UVA, UNC and GTCH to the existing inventory does that. It also serves to destroy's ND's preferred ultimate resting place in the ACC and provides ND with additional eastern markets and recruiting grounds to fertilize once ND eventually is forced to join a conference.

Reaction Score
uconn is not getting invited to the B1G. Unless the ACC's exit fee is upheld and Syracuse and BC cannot leave and UVa and UNC stay put. then, maybe, the b1G may come to UConn. But it is very unlikely.

Reaction Score
UMD was easy for the plucking because of their financial situation, but hardly low hanging fruit. Again, it's about upside and market. From my angle, both Rutty and MD were very make sense moves for the BiG. Just because they are currently two floundering athletic programs does not mean they don't have potential to trend up. Both flagship, both athletically committed, both meet academic profile and they grab a chunk of highly populated interlaced geography. NJ is a football hotbed. They are both more about what the BiG can do for them versus the opposite today, but have great stock up potential being part of the BiG.

Virginia is still a question mark on my end. There are too many variables there to make me think that's happening this soon. First, the UMD exit fee scenario hasn't played out. Second, their ties to VA Tech as a state partner and then, even moreso, their ties to ACC bretheren UNC/Duke. Virginia may be a bit more of a hybrid state culturally, but it's still by and large a southern state. If you go to the UVa board, you will see absolutely zero enthusiasm regarding the BiG. At some point, you wonder if the glue that bonds the ACC holds tight. When I start thinking about ACC nucleus, I think that starts with Duke/UNC/UVa as the blue bloods, mainly because of southern academic prestige. I just don't feel like a UVa takes off for a northern conference for dollars to feel like they are sitting on an island culturally. At some point, culture trumps $$. You cannot sacrifice your identity for every last cent when you're not in bad financial shape to begin with. Virginia is, nor ever really will be, a football first program. So unless they are dying for the $$, or see the writing on the wall this quickly, don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom