The Civil Conflict - Diaco (audio) - Rivalry in the Making? | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict - Diaco (audio) - Rivalry in the Making?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
North/South Conflict. Great stuff.

Reaction Score
UCF has become a good model for "up and coming" programs, or rebuilding programs to emulate...as has ECU.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rivalries are better to be developed organicly. I don't know if it can be forced. But the best way to begin building one is for the underdogs to prevail and fans to get into it.

That said, I like that Diaco is pushing the issue.

Reaction Score
this guy kills me. Brilliant idea though and glad Diaco recognizes that something of that nature would help both schools

Reaction Score
After a win I can listen to him talk like that forever. If we get to the point where we are playing winning football on a consistent basis soon, his personality is going to pay HUGE dividends.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think chapwilvaug72 might be Coach D's gimmick account. Clearly stream of consciousness doesn't work for him at the press conferences. Glad to see him get a win as reward for his efforts.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not loving the name, but I like the concept. I'd love a rivalry game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We are not going to have a rivalry game in this conference. Never going to happen.

I've got news for you; we already do. It's called "Temple". Whether people like it or not, it has all the makings of a rivalry game. Each team has won a couple recently from the other. Both teams battle for the same recruiting regions, and in some cases, the same recruits. In the absence of Rutgers, Temple is our best rival to this point.

I wouldn't mind getting this North-South thing going. It's a strategically smart move for both programs, not only in the near term but also for the long-term future of our programs...

Reaction Score
I've got news for you; we already do. It's called "Temple". Whether people like it or not, it has all the makings of a rivalry game. Each team has won a couple recently from the other. Both teams battle for the same recruiting regions, and in some cases, the same recruits. In the absence of Rutgers, Temple is our best rival to this point.

I wouldn't mind getting this North-South thing going. It's a strategically smart move for both programs, not only in the near term but also for the long-term future of our programs...
Well, it may be for you, but I don't think either fan base knows about this "rivalry" yet. Until the fan base wakes up to the so-called "rivalry" I don't think you can take the quotation marks off.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, it may be for you, but I don't think either fan base knows about this "rivalry" yet. Until the fan base wakes up to the so-called "rivalry" I don't think you can take the quotation marks off.

Apparently, your note didn't make it to the Hartford Courant in time:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ple-football-preview-0927-20140926-story.html

EDIT: Your note also didn't get to Matt Rhule:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ple-football-preview-0927-20140926-story.html

"The last five years we’ve played them, we’ve gone to overtime with them twice. So it’s a great rivalry for us.”

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nobody honestly thinks UConn and Temple are rivals and if we play them for a thousand years, we will not develop a rivalry with UCF.

You can't create these things from thin air.

Reaction Score
Nobody honestly thinks UConn and Temple are rivals and if we play them for a thousand years, we will not develop a rivalry with UCF.

You have to hate your "rival". There are plenty of teams around here that we hate, and that hate us. They hate us so much they don't want to play us.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should get the old UConn/Yale series going again. So what if it's Ivy League vs. FBS?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Rivalry means your average fan cares deeply about the game. There is no one on our schedule that I remotely care about. And I consider myself qualified as at least an average fan.

I'll settle for any P5 matchup, for now. Rivalry with teams we'd never play again if we get a P5 invite? That is something; smells of desperation.

Reaction Score
Temple is on the road to becoming a rival, they certainly consider us a rival. Recruiting wise they are already a rival.

Cincy is our best football rival in this league right now IMO, we need to ruin their hopes for a league title in two weeks.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I do not hate a single school in the AAC. Maybe it will develop over time, but I'm 'meh' on everyone in this conference.

Heck, I hate Boston College hockey more than any football/basketball school in the AAC and we have no history against BC hockey. It's all in the name.

Reaction Score

Bull sh17. Sh17 talking and attitude Sparks rivalries. Diaco is casting the bait

Reaction Score
The only rivals in football that would get this fanbase fired up are BC and Rutgers. We need to try and schedule both teams. Especially BC.

Reaction Score
I do not hate a single school in the AAC. Maybe it will develop over time, but I'm 'meh' on everyone in this conference.

Heck, I hate Boston College hockey more than any football/basketball school in the AAC and we have no history against BC hockey. It's all in the name.
Going to game Wed? I will be there. Daughter playing in Alumni pep band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom