The Chaos Report: C'est La TV, changes in NCAA Structure | The Boneyard

The Chaos Report: C'est La TV, changes in NCAA Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Link here: http://www.thechaosindex.com/cest-l...-to-change-a-whole-lot-more-than-you-realize/

Basic idea is maximizing the money with college football. Highlights:

• Market sizes and who might be in danger of being kicked out of P5
  • Movement up and down of teams from higher conferences to lower ones, English soccer style
  • End game is 4 16 team conferences split into 2 divisions each
I don't agree with some of here, but Captain Chaos makes some good points on markets. The thought of a under performing team like Illinois being moved from the Big10 to the MAC, while delusional, has some merit. It would make teams like Purdue, Illinois, BC and the peranially horrible teams accountable. What is happening in Wisconsin (not paying their assistants enough) might be averted.

It's a very long read, while it may be very far fetched, it's entertaining.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It will never get down to 64 power teams. I don't think you could even get to an equal number of teams per conference.

Reaction Score
European promotion/relegation systems are fantastic for sports fans. It takes all those meaningless games at the end of the season by teams not competing for anything and turns them into gripping nail biting events for their fans and enjoyable viewing for the neutral viewer. It’s true sport, survival of the fittest, reward for merit. And no American League or Conference will ever adopt it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tough to see a relegation/promotion system flourish in an "amateur" league where players are only allowed a maximum active tenure of 4 seasons over 5 years and where they must sit out a season if they transfer. Way too much turnover.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
.... And no American League or Conference will ever adopt it.[/QUOTE said:
Actually - we follow one American sport in which there truly is relegation for lesser performances - Those teams that do not have the strength of schedule, RPI, wins, etc... in NCAA Basketball, to make the NCAA Tournament, make the NIT, CBT (is that what it is called?) or stay home.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Tough to see a relegation/promotion system flourish in an "amateur" league where players are only allowed a maximum active tenure of 4 seasons over 5 years and where they must sit out a season if they transfer. Way too much turnover.

Relegation system begs kids to transfer.

Reaction Score

That’s not promotion/relegation, that’s missing the post season. Let’s take a random team say Rutgers, Right now no one is watching their games because they are awful. They will not make the tournament, the last month has been truly meaningless. Next year they just start all over. But add in the specter of finishing last and being knocked down to a lower division and all that entails for the team. These games mean everything to the team and its supporters.

Watching relegation battles in the English Premier League can be more engrossing then watching the top teams fight for position. It’s something the American sports fan can never truly experience. (side note I’m a Portsmouth FC fan so enough said)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Relegation system begs kids to transfer.
Yes and no. It depends on how good the kid (thinks he) is and how bad he wants to play.

In European Soccer for example, there is a very real possibility that the best players on relegated teams remain in the first division on a different team the very next year. A College kid must sit out. Then there is no guarantee that the team to where he transferred will still be in the first division, or that he will be at the top of the depth chart because there is limited performance history. College is not the top elite level of the sport. It's the feeder level. It's were the first performance history bricks are laid.

2) Few set plays in soccer allows it to be a very fluid game. It is very much plug and play. A player transferring from one program to another in College football must learn an entirely different playbook and the related terminology.

3) The "amateur" nature of college sports leave limited time, whether by regulation or (presumably) spent on academic pursuits, devoted to 2) above.

In a twisted example, I'm sort of reminded of a certain 3-star high self-opinioned QB from Plano, TX who sort of promoted/relegated himself.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes and no. It depends on how good the kid (thinks he) is and how bad he wants to play.

In European Soccer for example, there is a very real possibility that the best players on relegated teams remain in the first division on a different team the very next year. A College kid must sit out. Then there is no guarantee that the team to where he transferred will still be in the first division, or that he will be at the top of the depth chart because there is limited performance history.

2) Few set plays in soccer allows it to be a very fluid game. It is very much plug and play. A player transferring from one program to another in College football must learn an entirely different playbook and the related terminology.

3) The "amateur" nature of college sports leave limited time, whether by regulation or (presumably) spent on academic pursuits, devoted to 2) above.

In a twisted example, I'm sort of reminded of a certain 3-star high self-opinioned QB from Plano, TX who sort of promoted/relegated himself.

Yes, relegation is nutty in amateur sports, especially football. Besides that, the real passion in college football isn't just from winning, it is from a lifetime embedded with certain programs. Houston is no danger to Texas no matter who is better. Tulane is no threat to take fans from LSU. UConn recently lost to Yale in basketball...it makes no difference.

I like relegation in European football. In theory it could work in North American Hockey, but I doubt that it would as no owner would pay for a team, and a stadium knowing he might soon be relegated.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

Hahahaha

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yes, relegation is nutty in amateur sports, especially football. Besides that, the real passion in college football isn't just from winning, it is from a lifetime embedded with certain programs. Houston is no danger to Texas no matter who is better. Tulane is no threat to take fans from LSU. UConn recently lost to Yale in basketball...it makes no difference.

This. There is a reason the big rivalries in college sports are great, they transcend the players. I was a fan of a great pro rivalry: the Avalanche/Red Wings. It nothing now and hasn't been for many years. Once the majors players retired or left the teams, it become nothing. The Michigan/OSU game goes past players, records or even championships.

One of the reasons I have wanted Oklahoma in the Big10 is a renewal of the Oklahoma/Nebraska game

Reaction Score
That’s not promotion/relegation, that’s missing the post season. Let’s take a random team say Rutgers, Right now no one is watching their games because they are awful. They will not make the tournament, the last month has been truly meaningless. Next year they just start all over. But add in the specter of finishing last and being knocked down to a lower division and all that entails for the team. These games mean everything to the team and its supporters.

Watching relegation battles in the English Premier League can be more engrossing then watching the top teams fight for position. It’s something the American sports fan can never truly experience. (side note I’m a Portsmouth FC fan so enough said)

Under that scenario, why would a member of The Rutgers team stay? My team stinks this year and will probably stink next year, but now we risk being relegated for my Junior/Senior season. A kid would be beyond stupid to stay if he can find a transfer option.

So all the player with a pulse leave and that team will have another season no one watches. It doesn't seem to solve any issues.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Under that scenario, why would a member of The Rutgers team stay? My team stinks this year and will probably stink next year, but now we risk being relegated for my Junior/Senior season. A kid would be beyond stupid to stay if he can find a transfer option.

So all the player with a pulse leave and that team will have another season no one watches. It doesn't seem to solve any issues.

Right. This is exactly why I say relegation is begging kids to transfer. No kid would stay where they are.

Reaction Score
Link here: http://www.thechaosindex.com/cest-l...-to-change-a-whole-lot-more-than-you-realize/

Basic idea is maximizing the money with college football. Highlights:

• Market sizes and who might be in danger of being kicked out of P5
  • Movement up and down of teams from higher conferences to lower ones, English soccer style
  • End game is 4 16 team conferences split into 2 divisions each
I don't agree with some of here, but Captain Chaos makes some good points on markets. The thought of a under performing team like Illinois being moved from the Big10 to the MAC, while delusional, has some merit. It would make teams like Purdue, Illinois, BC and the peranially horrible teams accountable. What is happening in Wisconsin (not paying their assistants enough) might be averted.

It's a very long read, while it may be very far fetched, it's entertaining.

Interesting idea for a sports league. Unfortunately, college conferences are more than just sports leagues. The Big Ten, for example, is a group of like-minded research institutions. Regardless of how good or bad Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, etc. are on the field, it's how they are in the laboratory/library that matters just as much (if not more). While they make millions on the football field, they bring in billions in research money.

Reaction Score

Are teams knocking down the door to grab that Rutgers talent? Well that’s not the point.

I’m not saying promotion/relegation is an answer for college sports. I was simply stating promotion/relegation adds enjoyable competitive elements we don’t have in American sport. And even if you could work it into the way college sports works, no American Team is going to put at risk the $$$$$, hence my original statement “no American League or Conference will ever adopt it.”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The closest thing to relegation you would see is a shadow relegation when it comes to in conference scheduling.

Bottom feeder teams would be kept away from those with national title aspirations.

I doubt you'd see that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34