The Celtics and the Huskies - Speed Kills | The Boneyard

The Celtics and the Huskies - Speed Kills

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the immortal words of the great Satchel Paige, “Don’t look back, something might be gaining on you.” Put another way, if you’re Geno Auriemma and every other team in WBB is trying to catch up with UConn, you continue to set the bar higher by adding new elements to the way you coach and the way the team plays.

When Geno took a trip to Boston before the season to spend some time with Brad Stevens and the Celtics, I just assumed that it was an easy road trip that Geno could combine with a tee time at the Brookline CC. But it was not due to mere convenience that Geno decided to visit Boston. The Celtics, after losing their top player 5 minutes into the season, are the NBA’s biggest surprise, having reeled off 16 straight wins and counting. Watching the Celts come back from 17 down against the reigning NBA champions a week ago, I was struck by their youth, incredible effort and their SPEED.

After UConn’s heartbreaking loss to MS St, where Geno took responsibility for not speeding up the pace of play, I’m sure he never, ever wants to get into another game where the opposing team can walk the ball up the court and run their offense comfortably, and then get back and set up on defense. During the initial SNY All-Access show, Justine asked Geno what was different with this year’s Huskies. Geno replied, “We’re going to play much faster. We’re going to play faster than any team in the country.” What exactly does that mean? After watching UConn dismantle 4 straight ranked teams, including an extremely talented and athletic UCLA squad at Pauley Pavilion, we’ve got a pretty good idea what playing faster means.

It starts with pressure defense to speed the other team up, not allowing them to get into any kind of offensive rhythm while forcing more turnovers. On offense, everyone runs the court and attacks: Lots of layups and open jump shots. At times it can be a little sloppy. No more beautiful symphonies on offense, so we might just see a game where Gabby totals 5 steals and 10 TO’s, or the sloppiness of the last 5 minutes vs UCLA.

While we often joke about UConn being bad for WBB, Geno’s emphasis on “playing fast” really is bad for WBB. The Huskies have unveiled a new accelerant that allows them to create even more distance between themselves and everyone else. Other teams will have to alter the way they coach, how they recruit and the way they play in order to compete with UConn.

Once again, Geno is taking WBB into a Brave New World, where SPEED KILLS, and other teams will continue to struggle to chase down the Huskies.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
In the immortal words of the great Satchel Paige, “Don’t look back, something might be gaining on you.” Put another way, if you’re Geno Auriemma and every other team in WBB is trying to catch up with UConn, you continue to set the bar higher by adding new elements to the way you coach and the way the team plays.

When Geno took a trip to Boston before the season to spend some time with Brad Stevens and the Celtics, I just assumed that it was an easy road trip that Geno could combine with a tee time at the Brookline CC. But it was not due to mere convenience that Geno decided to visit Boston. The Celtics, after losing their top player 5 minutes into the season, are the NBA’s biggest surprise, having reeled off 16 straight wins and counting. Watching the Celts come back from 17 down against the reigning NBA champions a week ago, I was struck by their youth, incredible effort and their SPEED.

After UConn’s heartbreaking loss to MS St, where Geno took responsibility for not speeding up the pace of play, I’m sure he never, ever wants to get into another game where the opposing team can walk the ball up the court and run their offense comfortably, and then get back and set up on defense. During the initial SNY All-Access show, Justine asked Geno what was different with this year’s Huskies. Geno replied, “We’re going to play much faster. We’re going to play faster than any team in the country.” What exactly does that mean? After watching UConn dismantle 4 straight ranked teams, including an extremely talented and athletic UCLA squad at Pauley Pavilion, we’ve got a pretty good idea what playing faster means.

It starts with pressure defense to speed the other team up, not allowing them to get into any kind of offensive rhythm while forcing more turnovers. On offense, everyone runs the court and attacks: Lots of layups and open jump shots. At times it can be a little sloppy. No more beautiful symphonies on offense, so we might just see a game where Gabby totals 5 steals and 10 TO’s, or the sloppiness of the last 5 minutes vs UCLA.

While we often joke about UConn being bad for WBB, Geno’s emphasis on “playing fast” really is bad for WBB. The Huskies have unveiled a new accelerant that allows them to create even more distance between themselves and everyone else. Other teams will have to alter the way they coach, how they recruit and the way they play in order to compete with UConn.

Once again, Geno is taking WBB into a Brave New World, where SPEED KILLS, and other teams will continue to struggle to chase down the Huskies.
GREAT post !!

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the key elements of this new found emphasis on speed is the importance of recruiting athletic players who can run the court. UConn has always been able to recruit such players. This is particularly important for BIGS. That is one of the reasons why I believe that ONO is such an important recruit for the Huskies. She is a great athlete with an exceptional ability to run the court.

Reaction Score
Completely on point as usual, oldude. After the Cal game, I posted that the Huskies' X-factors this season are shaping up to be defense and pace of play. Both of these elements were on full display last night.

I really liked that Geno sat his bench for the entire game. The primary intent I think was to drive home the much-needed point that you will not get playing time on this team if you don't play defense hard or practice hard.

But another benefit of that was to test the fitness and endurance of his starters in a difficult environment comparable to that of last year's semi-final. Time and time again last night, I saw Geno gesture to his guards to speed it up as they were advancing the ball, especially during the forth quarter when Kia and Crystal were clearly gassed . Each time, they responded. So exciting to see these new facets in the team's play, because that is how championships are won.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Completely on point as usual, oldude. After the Cal game, I posted that the Huskies' X-factors this season are shaping up to be defense and pace of play. Both of these elements were on full display last night.

I really liked that Geno sat his bench for the entire game. The primary intent I think was to drive home the much-needed point that you will not get playing time on this team if you don't play defense hard or practice hard.

But another benefit of that was to test the fitness and endurance of his starters in a difficult environment comparable to that of last year's semi-final. Time and time again last night, I saw Geno gesture to his guards to speed it up as they were advancing the ball, especially during the forth quarter when Kia and Crystal were clearly gassed . Each time, they responded. So exciting to see these new facets in the team's play, because that is how championships are won.
There was a point in the 4th qtr when the Huskies were up 28 pts, when ESPN caught Geno on the sideline gently nodding his head up and down. I’m sure he was thinking, “Now that’s what I’m talking about.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There was a point in the 4th qtr when the Huskies were up 28 pts, when ESPN caught Geno on the sideline gently nodding his head up and down. I’m sure he was thinking, “Now that’s what I’m talking about.”

My favorite reaction of Geno's was when Crystal hit a 3pt from the top of the key after some stellar ball movement to go up by 16 and he did a huge mid level double fist hulk pose. Crystal is becoming something very special. Her timing and variable paces of play are brilliant and I never doubt her shot anymore since she never ever forces them.

Reaction Score
Speed, quickness, and focused intensity are the factors that have me shaking my head in amazement while watching this team. That they bring it for the number of minutes per game is astounding. Most great athletes have good concentration. These women take it to another level.

Watch any of the replays this season. and you will see that the word 'relentless' to describe the mindset on display is accurate. The D (which Geno recently opined was not important: It's BASKETball. You need to put the ball in the basket), never lets up. They contest every pass, and did an amazing job on a very good PG to keep her from getting the ball back.

I've said this a few times: this is the quickest, fastest, most consistently, focused team I've seen UConn field in 30 years. How do opponents prepare for the intensity of this machine?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Speed, quickness, and focused intensity are the factors that have me shaking my head in amazement while watching this team. That they bring it for the number of minutes per game is astounding. Most great athletes have good concentration. These women take it to another level.

Watch any of the replays this season. and you will see that the word 'relentless' to describe the mindset on display is accurate. The D (which Geno recently opined was not important: It's BASKETball. You need to put the ball in the basket), never lets up. They contest every pass, and did an amazing job on a very good PG to keep her from getting the ball back.

I've said this a few times: this is the quickest, fastest, most consistently, focused team I've seen UConn field in 30 years. How do opponents prepare for the intensity of this machine?
An even scarier thought for other teams: this team will get much better, particularly on offense, and especially once Lou is back. Not sure that anyone can stay within 20 pts of the Huskies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Very nicely done. Halfway through I forgot I was reading a post and not an article from some paid writer. Well done.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno has always liked to play fast, but I think he has taken it up a couple of notches this year—sort of like “Paul (Westhead) Ball,” but with defense.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
They need a longer bench than they had against UCLA to play that way for the entire season and still have something left in the tank during the NCAA tournament. They should have Lou back soon, which will restore the Core 7. Batouly should also return soon, but no one knows whether she can function as an 8th core player. Given how much practice she has missed, it seems unlikely to me.

Based on raw talent, Mikayla Coombs should be next in line, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way. If and when she responds to Geno's tough love, that may change, but I'm not holding my breath. More likely, Andra or Molly will serve in a kind of Maria Conlon role, but maybe without Maria's 3-point shot.

Eight healthy players (at a minimum) are necessary to play the way that you are suggesting. The Celtics have more than eight, and they need every single one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They need a longer bench than they had against UCLA to play that way for the entire season and still have something left in the tank during the NCAA tournament. They should have Lou back soon, which will restore the Core 7. Batouly should also return soon, but no one knows whether she can function as an 8th core player. Given how much practice she has missed, it seems unlikely to me.

Based on raw talent, Mikayla Coombs should be next in line, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way. If and when she responds to Geno's tough love, that may change, but I'm not holding my breath. More likely, Andra or Molly will serve in a kind of Maria Conlon role, but maybe without Maria's 3-point shot.

Eight healthy players (at a minimum) are necessary to play the way that you are suggesting. The Celtics have more than eight, and they need every single one.
I agree that more depth would certainly be advantageous when playing as fast as UConn does, but there is a difference between playing 48 minutes in the pros and 40 in college.

I do believe that other players will step up. It looks like AEH is close to gaining some quality PT, and hopefully Batouly can establish herself as a legitimate option off the bench.

For me, Coombs is the X factor. Watching her in HS, I felt her defense and passing ability were even better than Walker. Evidently, she is still wrestling with the demands of playing basketball for UConn.

The good news is that over and over again, a player suddenly “gets it,” usually during practice. It happened for Pheesa during her freshman season, right before the tournament, and she provided solid minutes off the bench from then on.

Hopefully we will see Coombs or some other player have a similar epiphany of sorts.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

In contentious games, I think seven players are enough. The starting five can go about 30 minutes each and Z and Meg can divide the remaining 50 minutes. The workload for these seven should diminish once the conference schedule begins so they should be fresh and fit for March Madness.

Reaction Score
Love this post. You have insight to mention Geno's visit with the Celtics. Most important was Geno's take away to speed up our team. Next time we play Mississippi State we will not let their hugh front setup before we get to the basket. Also, I was glad to see the three freshmen and two sophomores sit on bench as there performance against Maryland showed they need to work harder with weights and mindset to play against top 20 teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom