The cat calls for Jim Boeheim's scalp have begun. | The Boneyard

The cat calls for Jim Boeheim's scalp have begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Boeheim's statement last night was a 180 from his initial public comments which were horrible.

This story becomes more bizarre with each passing day. The (not-so) Fine family lives across the street from the Boeheims. I guess JB had a good view of the police and secret service showing up with a warrant to search the Fine home.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i'm not sure what will happen or what i hope should happen. i'm just gonna sit back and be thankful it's not UCONN in the spotlight. JB is a HOF coach who never should have come out with the comments he did 1-2 weeks back. now he had to do a 180 degree turn which i think has caused some of the bad feelings and calls for his head, so to speak...

Reaction Score
... I guess JB had a good view of the police and secret service showing up with a warrant to search the Fine home.

"Now THAT's a Fine kettle of fish!"

groucho-marx_medium.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Boeheim's statement last night was a 180 from his initial public comments which were horrible.

This story becomes more bizarre with each passing day. The (not-so) Fine family lives across the street from the Boeheims. I guess JB had a good view of the police and secret service showing up with a warrant to search the Fine home.
Gosh, Cat, I hope you didn't think I meant you. Apologies if you did. I was thinking of the media noise brigade.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Gosh, Cat, I hope you didn't think I meant you. Apologies if you did. I was thinking of the media noise brigade.

No, I didn't think that at all. I knew you were referring to the media. I was just offering an observation about what's going on up in Syracuse. Very strange stuff.

Reaction Score
JB might not survive this case going forward...........You are not around someone for 30+ years and not know........Boeheim like Paterno knew and did nothing....IMO........Hopefully, I am wrong.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to try to judge whether Jim knew or didn't. I hope he didn't, because otherwise he's just a liar. What he did do is react emotionally and demonstrate his loyalty to a long-time employee. Those of us who are in the crisis communication business -- and boy, is this a crisis -- would have suggested that Jim reserve judgment until he knew more, especially gven the way that Penn State played out. We would have suggested that he come across as more sympathetic to potential victims without passing judgment on his own employee.

I'm far from an expert, but it seems to me the case against Fine is far more tenuous than the one against the Penn State guy. But even so, Boeheim should have been more moderate in his initial statements because, well, there are potential victims here and he sounded like a cretin. Now he's had to apologize, and the headlines are saying he's done a 180. It all was so avoidable.

Speaking as someone who has been doing this communication stuff for a long time, I see people like Boeheim and Geno and Calhoun all the time and most often, they handle the media like champs. Most of the time, I would not presume to counsel folks like that about what to say, because they know, and they do it well. Then a crisis hits, and it never occurs to them to look for help. After all, they've been talking to reporters for years. Boeheim blurts out what he thinks will fly, because everything else he'e said in the past flew just fine. But the cirumstances are different now, and the stakes are higher, and he, as a representative of the .University, stepped in it big-time. Stupid, and preventable.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not going to try to judge whether Jim knew or didn't. I hope he didn't, because otherwise he's just a liar. What he did do is react emotionally and demonstrate his loyalty to a long-time employee. Those of us who are in the crisis communication business -- and boy, is this a crisis -- would have suggested that Jim reserve judgment until he knew more, especially gven the way that Penn State played out. We would have suggested that he come across as more sympathetic to potential victims without passing judgment on his own employee.

I'm far from an expert, but it seems to me the case against Fine is far more tenuous than the one against the Penn State guy. But even so, Boeheim should have been more moderate in his initial statements because, well, there are potential victims here and he sounded like a cretin. Now he's had to apologize, and the headlines are saying he's done a 180. It all was so avoidable.

Speaking as someone who has been doing this communication stuff for a long time, I see people like Boeheim and Geno and Calhoun all the time and most often, they handle the media like champs. Most of the time, I would not presume to counsel folks like that about what to say, because they know, and they do it well. Then a crisis hits, and it never occurs to them to look for help. After all, they've been talking to reporters for years. Boeheim blurts out what he thinks will fly, because everything else he'e said in the past flew just fine. But the cirumstances are different now, and the stakes are higher, and he, as a representative of the .University, stepped in it big-time. Stupid, and preventable.

Tom, you probably haven't heard the developments today but the case no longer seems tenuous since there is now audio tape of Fine's wife talking to the accuser and she acknowledges him being victimized and the possibility of others. Plus a third accuser has emerged over the weekend. But I do agree with most everything you are noting about managing the situation.

Reaction Score
i'm not sure what will happen or what i hope should happen. i'm just gonna sit back and be thankful it's not UCONN in the spotlight. JB is a HOF coach who never should have come out with the comments he did 1-2 weeks back. now he had to do a 180 degree turn which i think has caused some of the bad feelings and calls for his head, so to speak...
JB said too much, IMHO, a week ago! He could have supported his long term friend w/o going on. Now the has hit the fan,and he is hanging. Unless,there is any reason to believe he knew anything he should not be fired. In the Penn State Case there was a cover up.

Reaction Score
Tom, you probably haven't heard the developments today but the case no longer seems tenuous since there is now audio tape of Fine's wife talking to the accuser and she acknowledges him being victimized and the possibility of others. Plus a third accuser has emerged over the weekend. But I do agree with most everything you are noting about managing the situation.
Icebear,
Thanks for this information. I have now watched the tape and as they say in cyberland, OMG!
The Sandusky one is sick, creepy and sad. This one is sick, creepy, sad and a little bizarre, too.

JS

Reaction Score
the case no longer seems tenuous
So criticism of Boeheim's initial comments is no longer just "cat calls" and a "media noise brigade?"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So criticism of Boeheim's initial comments is no longer just "cat calls" and a "media noise brigade?"
True, as the details come out in both situations numerous changes have occurred in the responses, but much of it is still only noise but some is important. sorting it out can be tough.

Second Mile (SM) has now official encouraged people halting donations to it and transferring such support instead to an organization combatting rape and its impact. Expect this organization, SM, that helped 100,000 kids last year to, also, be finished and those kids to lose an important developmental asset. Very likely this needs to happen but it is still an asset lost to at risk kids in PA. Now clamoring has begun for the Lady Lions to be banned from the NCAA tournament if they qualify.

JS

Reaction Score
Second Mile (SM) has now official encouraged people halting donations to it and transferring such support instead to an organization combatting rape and its impact. Expect this organization, SM, that helped 100,000 kids last year to, also, be finished and those kids to lose an important developmental asset.

And the blame for this untoward result rests with:

1) the media
2) Jerry Sandusky
3) the media
4) Joe Paterno
5) other people at Penn State
6) people at Second Mile
7) the media
8) lying, money-grubbing alleged victims
9) squeamish donors
10) the media

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And the blame for this untoward result rests with:

1) the media
2) Jerry Sandusky
3) the media
4) Joe Paterno
5) other people at Penn State
6) people at Second Mile
7) the media
8) lying, money-grubbing alleged victims
9) squeamish donors
10) the media

Absolutely. The only one I might eliminate or modify is #8 as those piling on with false claims or desiring excessive compensation for what truly is an something that can never be adequately compensated.
The media has certainly been the greatest offender fanning the embers every where they can.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Ice: push comes to shove

Does Penn State get a bowl invitation?
If so....do they accept?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I expect they will get an invitation and they have already said they will accept. Penn State travels extremely well as football fans. It is interesting the reaction here in Central PA because it is in many, not all ways diametrically opposed to the news and material from outside the region. People here are thoroughly P.Oed at ESPN. The locals want answers but don't see them in the same places "outsiders" do.

JS

Reaction Score
The emdia has certainly been the greatest offender fanning the embers every where they can.

Wow.

My gift for parody seems to have become too finely honed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Absolutely. The only one I might eliminate or modify is #8 as those piling on with false claims or desiring excessive compensation for what truly is an something that can never be adequately compensated.
The emdia has certainly been the greatest offender fanning the embers every where they can.
The mass public has a role in this as well. There is no flame without substance for the fire.

The situation at PSU, Cuse and the Catholic Church has been going on since the dawn of man. Periodically these things come to our awareness. And if that "shocks our sensibilities" we have a naturally strong reaction, which frequently leads to an over reaction. That reaction can be self contained or become "infectious" and spread through a society. If it evokes a big enough response in a large enough segment of a population, the media will then exploit it. The media only is tapping into our emotions.

I have watched atrocities occur around the world at their inception and would discuss them with my friends. Their reactions would be upset, but contained. Eventually, usually after several years, the level of chatter regarding these atrocities would reach some critical threshold, and those atrocities would suddenly be discussed in most households. That would lead to a reaction of horror that was missing when the subject was not conscious on a societal level.

Joseph Kony is a name that very few people in the U.S. is aware of. If you live in Uganda, Kenya or the Sudan, his name brings up absolute terror. I expect over the next several years, people in the U.S. will become aware of his past actions. The awareness will reach a critical threshold and the expected shock of his atrocities will finally take hold in this country.

There are two things necessary to get strong reactions. One is our nature. Individuals can feel strongly about things on their own. But there is a reinforcing component that groups exert on the individuals reaction, which in some cases is stronger than the individuals natural response.

This makes sense, because we are biologically dependent on the group for our survival as opposed to organisms that are individually programmed for survival.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
First civil lawsuit against Sandusky, PSU and the Second Mile was filed in Philadelphia today. The plaintiff is a 29-year-old man who is not one of the 8 victims in the criminal complaint. This newest victim alleges the abuse occurred in the 1990s while Sandusky was still a PSU coach and took place at the Sandusky home, PSU facilities and at a bowl game.

The plaintiff's lawyer read a statement from his client that said: "I am hurting and have been for a long time because of what happened, but feel now even more tormented that I have learned of so many other kids," the 29-year-old man writes in a statement.

Heartbreaking.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-sandusky-sex-abuse-lawsuit-comes-new-accuser

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The mass public has a role in this as well. There is no flame without substance for the fire.

The situation at PSU, Cuse and the Catholic Church has been going on since the dawn of man. Periodically these things come to our awareness. And if that "shocks our sensibilities" we have a naturally strong reaction, which frequently leads to an over reaction. That reaction can be self contained or become "infectious" and spread through a society. If it evokes a big enough response in a large enough segment of a population, the media will then exploit it. The media only is tapping into our emotions.

I have watched atrocities occur around the world at their inception and would discuss them with my friends. Their reactions would be upset, but contained. Eventually, usually after several years, the level of chatter regarding these atrocities would reach some critical threshold, and those atrocities would suddenly be discussed in most households. That would lead to a reaction of horror that was missing when the subject was not conscious on a societal level.

Joseph Kony is a name that very few people in the U.S. is aware of. If you live in Uganda, Kenya or the Sudan, his name brings up absolute terror. I expect over the next several years, people in the U.S. will become aware of his past actions. The awareness will reach a critical threshold and the expected shock of his atrocities will finally take hold in this country.

There are two things necessary to get strong reactions. One is our nature. Individuals can feel strongly about things on their own. But there is a reinforcing component that groups exert on the individuals reaction, which in some cases is stronger than the individuals natural response.

This makes sense, because we are biologically dependent on the group for our survival as opposed to organisms that are individually programmed for survival.
All very true. For many of the locals this is looking more like a police and upper administration cover-up. No one questions the evil of Sandusky and his acts. There is a pattern of missing records that is beginning to accrue. 2000-3 at Second Mile, police records concerning the McQueary interview missing and/or denied despite statements by some folks outside the AD that they did exist. Missing police records don't just happen easily. Something clearly stinks but it is still unclear where.

BTW, I am very aware of Kony and the atrocities of The Lord's Resistance Army. It should be a warning here to any who think that theocratic government might be a good thing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
All very true. For many of the locals this is looking more like a police and upper administration cover-up. No one questions the evil of Sandusky and his acts. There is a pattern of missing records that is beginning to accrue. 2000-3 at Second Mile, police records concerning the McQueary interview missing and/or denied despite statements by some folks outside the AD that they did exist. Missing police records don't just happen easily. Something clearly stinks but it is still unclear where.

BTW, I am very aware of Kony and the atrocities of The Lord's Resistance Army. It should be a warning here to any who think that theocratic government might be a good thing.
I knew you would and I suspect several others in this forum are aware as well. But it isn't common knowledge. The U.S. has sent 100 troops to help track Kony down. I expect if the U.S. suffers any casualties there will be a public outcry against our involvement. Some visual account of the atrocities might help people over come this resistance, but the outcome of how that plays out remains to be seen.

On the PSU matter, that is a lot of interesting development. Are these leaks or official statements? Has the federal government decided to step in? They are in the Syracuse investigation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On the PSU matter, that is a lot of interesting development. Are these leaks or official statements? Has the federal government decided to step in? They are in the Syracuse investigation.

As of now, federal prosecutors are assisting the Pa Office of Atty General in its investigation and prosecution of Sandusky. This is separate from the US Dept of Ed's investigation of the university's handling of the matter. It appears that at least one reason why federal prosecutors have taken the lead in the Fine investigation and not in the Sandusky investigation is because of the state statutes of limitations. The SOL in NY is shorter than PA's and may bar state criminal charges against Fine insofar as the initial accusers are concerned; that is not the case in PA. The statute of limitations for a federal crime is more lenient, but of course there must be a federal crime. If alleged victims of Fine were transported across state lines then there's a potential Mann Act violation.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I find it exceedingly odd that no one is going after ESPN for sitting on the tape recording of one of the alleged victims and Fine's wife in which she basically admitted she knew what was going on. If that wasn't a smoking gun I don't know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom