The Bright Side | The Boneyard

The Bright Side

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
After having thought about the news from the last 24 hours, I've come to the conclusion that so long as certain caveats are met, this move could be a positive thing not just for all the olympic sports but for football as well. Here's the thought process around the news:

1) We got paid 25 million dollars to use the name of a conference that we will re-enter anyways, and a name that most people in the country assumed we had always belonged to during our AAC stay. I hope you all get a little chuckle out of that, because I did!

2) If this move strengthens the men's basketball team, which it undoubtedly will, we can leverage the scheduling of our men's program to assist in OOC scheduling for football. (And yes.....I'm aware that all games for an Independent team are "OOC"...)

3) If we are able to schedule or continue to schedule our regional rivals (Rutgers, BC, Syracuse, UMass, Temple) then we will actually maintain or even increase our interest in our football team. Of course, we have to start to do things like win games, but that was always the assumption if you want to keep football.

4) FOX as a new partner may have a vested interest in helping out in scheduling with some of their other member schools (i.e., Big12), assuming they can get a further piece of the UConn Tier 3 pie there when the games are at The Rent, etc.

5) SNY almost certainly re-enters the fold, and I'm guessing that they will also have a vested interest in televising some of our football games as they have in years past.

I was always a believer in the "don't go Independent" philosophy, and I'm not much different today because of the inherent scheduling difficulties, but we cannot ignore that the most recent AAC contract really hurt us six ways to Sunday. There's no way around that fact. We had to get out of it. I hope there is already a plan in place for football that isn't yet being discussed, but I'm also hopeful that there may be a fruitful path going forward. And if we start winning again, some of the scheduling will take care of itself.

Pride. Heart. UConn.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You go Polyanna! Have to admit, though, #1 gave me a chuckle.

And yes, #1 is probably the best thing we can take from the neverending nut shot of conference realignment... ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You want to know what else is a bright side, not having to be in AAC after next season. Now if we can just kill the football program so this mistake never happens again.

Cool story, bro...

Reaction Score
So we left over an undervalued contract, at least for us. Have to wonder if this will play out in anyway as Blumenthal's lawsuit has been blamed for animosity. Given the pettiness of executives, oh, we're probably set back another 10 years.

Reaction Score
You want to know what else is a bright side, not having to be in AAC after next season. Now if we can just kill the football program so this mistake never happens again.

Your story had a stunning lack of dragons in it.

F-minus

Reaction Score
Have to believe our admins aren't a bunch of stupid duckks who made this decision. I hope SNY already told them they will buy the football media rights regardless of where we land. If we have a decent indy football contract with SNY and/or Fox, we can make it work if we get games with regional schools like CUSE, RU, BCU etc.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Bowl tie ins will be a key to the success of independence. Gotta have something to fight for at the end of the rainbow.

While I agree with that statement generally, it has to be said that a team should only worry about bowl tie-ins when they demonstrate that they can win a minimum of 6 games in a season...

...just sayin'...

Reaction Score
Have to believe our admins aren't a bunch of stupid duckks who made this decision. I hope SNY already told them they will buy the football media rights regardless of where we land. If we have a decent indy football contract with SNY and/or Fox, we can make it work if we get games with regional schools like CUSE, RU, BCU etc.
They've shown us how inept they can be before....

Reaction Score
4) FOX as a new partner may have a vested interest in helping out in scheduling with some of their other member schools (i.e., Big12), assuming they can get a further piece of the UConn Tier 3 pie there when the games are at The Rent, etc.

I am inclined to think (hope) this is a large part of why we were comfortable making this move. If we can get cuse/Rutgers/bc/temple + 2 b12 teams + 1 random p5, that is the core of a good schedule. Get some fox televised bowl tie ins, and this is a good move, and would cause me to be weirdly optimistic despite public information if I was Randy (which he seems to be).

This could also be farthest away from the truth, we have no idea what we are doing, and Randy is being that way bc he has no other choice, but thinking that way is no way to go through life :)

Reaction Score
After having thought about the news from the last 24 hours, I've come to the conclusion that so long as certain caveats are met, this move could be a positive thing not just for all the olympic sports but for football as well. Here's the thought process around the news:

1) We got paid 25 million dollars to use the name of a conference that we will re-enter anyways, and a name that most people in the country assumed we had always belonged to during our AAC stay. I hope you all get a little chuckle out of that, because I did!

2) If this move strengthens the men's basketball team, which it undoubtedly will, we can leverage the scheduling of our men's program to assist in OOC scheduling for football. (And yes.....I'm aware that all games for an Independent team are "OOC"...)

3) If we are able to schedule or continue to schedule our regional rivals (Rutgers, BC, Syracuse, UMass, Temple) then we will actually maintain or even increase our interest in our football team. Of course, we have to start to do things like win games, but that was always the assumption if you want to keep football.

5) SNY almost certainly re-enters the fold, and I'm guessing that they will also have a vested interest in televising some of our football games as they have in years past.

I was always a believer in the "don't go Independent" philosophy, and I'm not much different today because of the inherent scheduling difficulties, but we cannot ignore that the most recent AAC contract really hurt us six ways to Sunday. There's no way around that fact. We had to get out of it. I hope there is already a plan in place for football that isn't yet being discussed, but I'm also hopeful that there may be a fruitful path going forward. And if we start winning again, some of the scheduling will take care of itself.

Pride. Heart. UConn.
My first post since this news broke...
I appreciate the optimism. Have very mixed feelings about this. It's not my choice, for a variety of reasons but, as you say, it could work out OK. To me, the crux of the matter is in football scheduling. If FOX helps us with P5 OOC scheduling through their TV ties then this could work. But if we are stuck with UMASS type scheduling, then I'm very concerned.
I'm a big hoops fan, but not at the utter destruction of football. And the C7/NBE doesn't get me jacked up like it does for some.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

What has the administration done in the last twenty years that has shown that they have any clue? Other than destroying an athletic department?

Reaction Score
Other than the fact that they have publicly stated they have no plan yet. Why you would give these losers the benefit of the doubt after 10 years of incompetence at every turn is beyond me. I agree we got taken to the cleaners by Aresco who used and abused us to line his pockets, but again our idiots didn’t press the advantage from day 1 when we had leverage.

Reaction Score
The problem is who do you get to play at the rent. I'm sure Alabama Texas Clemson Penn st would sign up for pay day games.. but how do you get anyone to play us at the rent.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The problem is who do you get to play at the rent. I'm sure Alabama Texas Clemson Penn st would sign up for pay day games.. but how do you get anyone to play us at the rent.

Home slates as an Independent will always be worse than away slates. There's no doubt about that. Only winning will help to change that somewhat, so let's hope that we beat the hell out of folks like UMass, Buffalo, FIU, FAU, Army, etc...

Reaction Score
Lol I could see ESPN telling acc teams to do 2 for 1 deals and making sure all the games are on the acc network

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Lol I could see ESPN telling acc teams to do 2 for 1 deals and making sure all the games are on the acc network

Not out of the question, and ultimately the type of thing that an Independent has to put up with...

Reaction Score

Yeah, but we really stuck it to ESPN by leaving for the NBE...or something.

Reaction Score
Might not be bad for ESPN to be spiteful like that. Could work out a decent schedule...but end up paying for an acc network we aren't a part of

Reaction Score
But espn can be spiteful and put us behind a pay wall one way or another...be against p5 teams

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom