The Boneyard News | The Boneyard

The Boneyard News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It is a damned shame that The Boneyard News is defunct! (And me with not one, not two but seven lifetime subscriptions! That paper had one helluva subscription salesman!) A picture of KLS carrying the rest of the team on her shoulders would have been a natural for a cover. I seem to recall a similar pic of a Diana something-or-other carrying her teammates on her back, not unlike a mama scorpion. Ah well, all things must pass, as my granny used to say when she made me drink the Castoria.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My very bad. I meant, of course, The Boneyard Magazine. Senior moment. Anyway, out of the past, here is the cover I referred to. Somehow, though, important as she is, I really don't think that KLS will have quite the responsibility for this team that DT had for that one.
jan03_bone_15.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone remind me who is oovy? The name is so familiar. Vole fan?

Reaction Score
The name oovy is familiar. Was he the Vole fan who claimed he saw Diana's x-ray and that she wore a back brace. When confronted about he manage to see her X-ray he disappeared from the board. Am I thinking of the right person?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Probably the less said about Oovy the better. Suffice it to say that he was a troll, a severe critic of Geno, who had something in the way of inside knowledge about the program and loved to leak that knowledge; e.g., of Diana's back problems. Thankfully, he disappeared from the scene a good while back. A real ass, he was. Not a Vol fan, though, just a Geno hater.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My very bad. I meant, of course, The Boneyard Magazine. Senior moment. Anyway, out of the past, here is the cover I referred to. Somehow, though, important as she is, I really don't think that KLS will have quite the responsibility for this team that DT had for that one.
jan03_bone_15.jpg

We printed it and still have a copy of this masterpiece by Biff. And JS's inimitable "Ode to the Ball-Hog Chick.":)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There is a whole bunch of this stuff on a page maintained by Philster. It occurs to me, though, that for the benefit of those new to the board or with short memories, certain things ought to be explained.
1) "The Ballhog Chick" was a name for Diana coined in mock criticism by everyone's favorite LV fan, the late, great RobertNATL, who had more sense of humor than all the rest of Voldom combined, may he RIP.
2) All of the Ballhog Chick odes were written before there was any inkling of Pat's unfortunate medical condition, and all in good fun.
3) The Ballad of the Three refers to the game in 2003 at the HCC in which Diana kept the streak alive by hitting an incredible three with time running out while the ball was in the air, to tie the game, which UConn then won in overtime. iirc, this was also the game in which she hit the 70 ft. three as the first half expired. (Interviewer; Do you practice shooting from there?" DT; "Well, yes, but usually at the other basket.")
4) The "mooing incident" occured at TBC in Knoxville in 2004. The Tennessee fans kept up a chorus of boos from the opening tip, every time DT touched the ball.
5) If any of this is inaccurate or incomplete, I am sure that Kibs or JS or somebody will correct or supplement it.
Phils UConn Huskies Page

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There is a whole bunch of this stuff on a page maintained by Philster. It occurs to me, though, that for the benefit of those new to the board or with short memories, certain things ought to be explained.
1) "The Ballhog Chick" was a name for Diana coined in mock criticism by everyone's favorite LV fan, the late, great RobetNATL, who had more sense of humor than all the rest of Voldom combined, may he RIP.
2) All of the Ballhog Chick odes were written before there was any inkling of Pat's unfortunate medical condition, and all in good fun.
3) The Ballad of the Three refers to the game in 2003 at the HCC in which Diana kept the streak alive by hitting an incredible three with time running out while the ball was in the air, to tie the game, which UConn then won in overtime. iirc, this was also the game in which she hit the 70 ft. three as the first half expired. (Interviewer; Do you practice shooting from there?" DT; "Well, yes, but usually at the other basket.")
4) The "mooing incident" occured at TBC in Knoxville in 2004. The Tennessee fans kept up a chorus of boos from the opening tip, every time DT touched the ball.
5) If any of this is inaccurate or incomplete, I am sure that Kibs or JS or somebody will correct or supplement it.
Phils UConn Huskies Page

#3. Yes, that was the game of both the 70-footer (halftime) and buzzer-beating trey to tie. Story goes that as the shot dropped to send the game into OT Diana turned to the ref and asked if would he now "get paid extra?"

#4. The ever gracious fans at Thompson-Bolling Arena "booed" every single time Diana touched the ball. She got manhandled repeatedly when cutting into the lane yet dropped 32 points. In her exuberance, late in the game she whacked the bb support and explained, "I just wanted to punch something orange!"

It gets better. When interviewed post-game and asked, "Did the booing bother you?," she dead-panned her reply (mock sincerity): "Booing? I thought they were mooing."

Ah, memories. Diana. Phil. :)

And recent chapters by Stewie, now the Core Four +1. It's great to be a Husky fan. Nothing like it! :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Thanks, Kibs. I forgot to explain about the "mooing". And I could not remember if that was the game in which she punched the stanchion, or if that was the 2002 game. Those were the days, my friend! (I proposed that the name be changed to the Thompson Booing Arena, but it never caught on.)

(That also always brings to mind the apocryphal story about Amos Marsh, who once upon a time was having a tough year with the Cowboys, fumbling quite a bit and, as a result, getting booed quite a bit. Supposedly a reporter asked him; "Amos, do the booze bother you"? and Amos repied; "No, man, I just has a beer or two now and then." It was also reported (apocryphally, again) that when the Cowboys traded him and gave him a ticket to wherever he was going, he dropped it.)

Reaction Score
Thanks, Kibs. I forgot to explain about the "mooing". And I could not remember if that was the game in which she punched the stanchion, or if that was the 2002 game. Those were the days, my friend! (I proposed that the name be changed to the Thompson Booing Arena, but it never caught on.)

(That also always brings to mind the apocryphal story about Amos Marsh, who once upon a time was having a tough year with the Cowboys, fumbling quite a bit and, as a result, getting booed quite a bit. Supposedly a reporter asked him; "Amos, do the booze bother you"? and Amos repied; "No, man, I just has a beer or two now and then." It was also reported (apocryphally, again) that when the Cowboys traded him and gave him a ticket to wherever he was going, he dropped it.)
Stanchion punching game (32 points) was D's sophomore year, playing with Sue, et al. "Mooing" game was her Sr. year (Feb '04). 2 different games - I was at both of them.

Z, thanks for posting the link - I just spent an hour going down memory lane. Reconfirmed my belief that DT was/is the GOAT. I really miss kicking Tennessee's ass 2-3 times a year!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Stanchion punching game (32 points) was D's sophomore year, playing with Sue, et al. "Mooing" game was her Sr. year (Feb '04). 2 different games - I was at both of them.

Z, thanks for posting the link - I just spent an hour going down memory lane. Reconfirmed my belief that DT was/is the GOAT. I really miss kicking Tennessee's ass 2-3 times a year!

Thanks for the chronological correction. My recollection of the episodes is vivid but hey, it's been a dozen years! And yes! Diana was/is the GOAT, especially for her capacity for smackdowns of the accursed LadyVols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom