OT - The Boneyard Greatest Movie of All-Time Tournament | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT - The Boneyard Greatest Movie of All-Time Tournament

Reaction Score
Which "Mutiny on the Bounty"? The original with Clark Gable, Franchot Tone, and Charles Laughton.....or the 1962 version with Marlon Brando, Trevor Howard, and Richard Harris? I liked them both for different reasons, but curious which one you are referring to?
1935 version. Loved Laughton. Had best picture. Three best actor nominees. Best supporting category created because of it. Didnt like Brando's take on Christian. The film production values were great though.
Always liked Howard in his WWII flicks.

Reaction Score
1935 version. Loved Laughton. Had best picture. Three best actor nominees. Best supporting category created because of it. Didnt like Brando's take on Christian. The film production values were great though.
Completely agree. The main character in the book was Roger Byam (who eventually returns to England in chains and is condemned to hang but is granted a full pardon), and was played by Franchot Tone in the 1935 version, who stood between Christian and Bligh, he was completely written out of the 1962 version, and it almost killed that movie, leaving Brando alone to try to carry a contrived story. The only thing that the 1962 version had left were the production values, it was visually stunning and Bronislau Kapers musical score was off the charts. I wouldn't say it was Brando's interpretation of Christian that killed that movie but a terrible script did. Franchot Tone's performance in the 1935 movie got him a Best Actor nomination.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Completely agree. The main character in the book was Roger Byam (who eventually returns to England in chains and is condemned to hang but is granted a full pardon), and was played by Franchot Tone in the 1935 version, who stood between Christian and Bligh, he was completely written out of the 1962 version, and it almost killed that movie, leaving Brando alone to try to carry a contrived story. The only thing that the 1962 version had left were the production values, it was visually stunning and Bronislau Kapers musical score was off the charts. I wouldn't say it was Brando's interpretation of Christian that killed that movie but a terrible script did. Franchot Tone's performance in the 1935 movie got him a Best Actor nomination.

Def the best EIGHTY FOUR year old movie in the tourney.

Clear fave in the NO SOUND bracket

Reaction Score
Def the best EIGHTY FOUR year old movie in the tourney.

Clear fave in the NO SOUND bracket
Really, you think so Mr Whaler? I loved Mutiny on the Bounty, but still think "Bride of Frankenstein" was a slightly better EIGHTY FOUR year old movie.:)

Reaction Score
Did anyone mention "Gone with the Wind", "Wuthering Heights", "Peyton Place", "From Here to Eternity", "A Place in the Sun", "The Ten Commandments", or John Ford's "The Hurricane"?

Prior to 1960 all were mentioned on any all time great movies list.
There were many more I struggled with as I'm sure everyone else did too.
Inherit The Wind
Lillie's of the Field
Easy Rider
The Children's Hour(1961. Maybe one of the first movies with major actors to explore same sex relationships)
Fail Safe
Christmas in Connecticut
Lonely Are The Brave(probably Kirk Douglas's best movie)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Blotto(a Laurel & Hardy short film that is infectiously hilarious)

Reaction Score
There were many more I struggled with as I'm sure everyone else did too.
Inherit The Wind
Lillie's of the Field
Easy Rider
The Children's Hour(1961. Maybe one of the first movies with major actors to explore same sex relationships)
Fail Safe
Christmas in Connecticut
Lonely Are The Brave(probably Kirk Douglas's best movie)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Blotto(a Laurel & Hardy short film that is infectiously hilarious)
I don't think I've seen Blotto but my father insists that the best movie in the history of cinema is Laurel & Hardy's "Sons of the Desert". I've watched it several times - it's pretty great.

1551151025742.png

Reaction Score
Shawshank Redemption is no. 1 with a bullet. Crash is the Syracuse of movies. Overrated and an early exit.

Reaction Score
Somehow I lost a rather long view on "Nowhere in Africa." This film won the Oscar for best foreign language film in 2002. A family of Jews escapes Germany in 1938; they end up in Kenya until 1947. Beautifully filmed in
in Kenya. In German with subtitles, acting is first rate, while the setting, rural Kenya, is unusual it provides some interesting insights into the lives of Jewish exiles.
This is definitely worth viewing.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I don't know if you're still taking entries but .... The Outlaw Josey Wales and another vote for Silence of the Lambs (not on my original list). "Well, you gunna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?" and "Ain't we going to bury em Josey?" Clint spits on the forehead of the dead guy and says "Buzzard's got to eat, same as the worm." Priceless!!

Reaction Score
I don't know if you're still taking entries but .... The Outlaw Josey Wales and another vote for Silence of the Lambs (not on my original list). "Well, you gunna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?" and "Ain't we going to bury em Josey?" Clint spits on the forehead of the dead guy and says "Buzzard's got to eat, same as the worm." Priceless!!
Voting is closed, sorry. I have my staff hard at work putting together some stats and graphs. Maybe a pie chart. Actually, no, just pie. Dang. Wish I had some ice cream.

Reaction Score
Casablanca. Black and white and just as entertaining 67 years later. How many movies can you still enjoy on the 20th watching? Granted The Godfather one is on that list and damn close.

Reaction Score
Somehow I lost a rather long view on "Nowhere in Africa." This film won the Oscar for best foreign language film in 2002. A family of Jews escapes Germany in 1938; they end up in Kenya until 1947. Beautifully filmed in
in Kenya. In German with subtitles, acting is first rate, while the setting, rural Kenya, is unusual it provides some interesting insights into the lives of Jewish exiles.
This is definitely worth viewing.
"Out of Africa" was a good one too. True story about some remarkable people and their friendships in colonial East Africa. Denys Finch Hatton, Karen Blixen, and Beryl Markham.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wife was talking about Cohen's testimony today and his role as a "fixer", and I immediately thought of a movie I will watch every single time it's on, but which I didn't include on my list: Michael Clayton. Tom Wilkinson was amazing in that. And I love the final confrontation scene between Swinton and Clooney.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wife was talking about Cohen's testimony today and his role as a "fixer", and I immediately thought of a movie I will watch every single time it's on, but which I didn't include on my list: Michael Clayton. Tom Wilkinson was amazing in that. And I love the final confrontation scene between Swinton and Clooney.
But what was Wilkinson doing with all those baguettes???

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
But what was Wilkinson doing with all those baguettes???

If you hadn't already concluded his character is a nutjob, the director wanted to drive that point home.

I thought the same thing. How's one guy living alone going to eat them all before they get stale? That's why he's cray-cray.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Mad Max Thunderdome
The original Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory
The Five Deadly Venoms
Predator
Mo Better Blues
Trading Places
Coming to America
The Untouchables
Curse of the Golden Flower
Uptown Saturday Night
Which way is up

Reaction Score
Raiders of the lost Ark
Shawshank
The usual suspects
Blade runner
Apocalypse now
Apocoaypto
12 angry men
Planet of the ape
Alien
Silence of the lambs
Seven
The big red one
The hustler
Cool hand luke
Sharkys machine
The Godfather
Good fellas

There are a lot more

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are we still doing this?

Rocky
Jaws
Godfather 1-2
Unforgiven
The Raiders of the Lost Ark
Shawshank
Goodfella's
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Quiet Man
The Searchers
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Rear Window
North by Northwest
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Patton
Singing in the Rain

Reaction Score
It’s too late for any new submissions but I’m working on procrastinating on filling out the bracket. Tomorrow I’ll probably start a stats and bracket reveal thread and next week we’ll start voting.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I fell asleep watching a compilation of Norm McDonald stuff on YT and this was what was playing when I woke up.
Well that's a funny coincidence!

Classic scene from that movie:

Oliver: Why didn't you want to take the oath?
Stan: I was afraid.
Oliver: Of what?
Stan: I was afraid that if I took the oath, that my wife wouldn't let me go. And the Exhausted Ruler said that if... you took an oath, it would have to be broken for... generations and... centuries of... hundreds of years and my wife would let...
Oliver: Do you have to ask your wife everything?
Stan: Well if I didn't ask her, I wouldn't know what she wanted me to do.
Oliver: I never realized that such a deplorable condition existed in your home. (beat) Why don't you pattern your life after mine? I go places and do things and *then* tell my wife. Every man should be the king in his own castle!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom